F8L GT

Custom LT mid pipe

Decided to try something a little different. I sold my Bassani mufflers and I am going with a 2 chamber design. Only problem is I hate 2 chamber mufflers with O/R X pipes. So I am converting my x to a chambered design almost like a prochamber. After some fiddling on the computer with designs, I will be adding some baffles inside. The theory is to try and equalize the exhaust pulses and help scavenging. Whether it will work or not I wont know till the end but it should sound way better than an O/R X.

My x

1019112342_zps5a3a715b.jpg

2.5" stainless exhaust tubing

1019112353_zps402b832f.jpg

Tubing cut in half and test fitted

1019114545_zps3060ec19.jpg

Test fitting bottom plate

1019142402_zps8626a186.jpg

used the plasma to cut some of the old x out, getting ready to tack new sides in place

1019151356_zps8ec9a748.jpg

Sides tacked in place and also removed part of the mid that will be in the chamber, will cut other side off once top plate is welded on

1019155443_zps52bd4682.jpg

Top plate tacked in place.

1019160230_zpsa2d5a731.jpg

Once I get the top plate welded in place, I can make the end caps, weld them in, then make my baffles and install the bottom plate

no guys, sorry, no update. life has been getting in the way lately. actually yes there is. I have the baffle in and the top plate 2nd plate on. Just need to make the end caps and completely weld it up

Pretty nice work, for some reason I love seeing custom fabbing on exhaust.

I used to have a prochamber and didn't care for the sound, so it was gone in a couple months when I cut out the prochamber box and a universal X was welded in its place. Yours might have a pretty cool sound to it, I'll be interested to see what you end up with :thumb:

threw the flow tubeon and the mufflers last night. so far I like it more than the bassani's I had. The car has a deep rumble at idle and low rev. Not sure how its going to be under load or higher rpms. I will make a vid within the next couple days.

threw the flow tubeon and the mufflers last night. so far I like it more than the bassani's I had. The car has a deep rumble at idle and low rev. Not sure how its going to be under load or higher rpms. I will make a vid within the next couple days.

Nice work f8l! Is there anything holding you back from having it scream at upper rpms or just late at night lol

Let's just say my garage is 50 feet away from the house and fully insulated. My bedroom is at the complete opposite of the house. That little rev work my wife straight out of a dead sleep

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Sorry guys. Going to be a while before I get a better clip. Ran into some hard times with the wife not working and baby due in the next couple Weeks so I had to cut some costs and got rid of internet amongst other things

Sent from my LG-AS680 using Tapatalk 2

I added exhaust hangers onto the mid connecting to the ds loop.

IMG_20130116_071603.jpg

IMG_20130119_142328.jpg

Also got the hangers welded into the mufflers

IMG_20130119_142350.jpg

I have since opened up the mufflers and modified the baffles a little to make them flew a touch better since the mid is chambered. I can't leave anything alone

Got my u bend for making the turn outs and the clamps for the mufflers.

IMG_20130124_104706.jpg

I added exhaust hangers onto the mid connecting to the ds loop.

IMG_20130116_071603.jpg

IMG_20130119_142328.jpg

Also got the hangers welded into the mufflers

IMG_20130119_142350.jpg

I have since opened up the mufflers and modified the baffles a little to make them flew a touch better since the mid is chambered. I can't leave anything alone

Got my u bend for making the turn outs and the clamps for the mufflers.

IMG_20130124_104706.jpg

This is legit! Cant wait for you too finish this badboy up!

Question though, how warmed up was the car when you tested it? Engine and exhaust cold, maybe be dumping fuel and backfiring a little bit causing the cracking sound. That can be the one draw back to custom fabbing doesn't always sound they way you hoped

Matt

Here is a short video of the Nova after I installed my G-fab(a.k.a. made it myself) X-pipe. i am nowhere near the accomplished welder that you are though. i think i spent a total of $35 for the pieces I used to make it.

Matt

Edited by Brian
embedded video

Here is a short video of the Nova after I installed my G-fab(a.k.a. made it myself) X-pipe. i am nowhere near the accomplished welder that you are though. i think i spent a total of $35 for the pieces I used to make it.

Matt

Before the kickass new paint job.