MMR

Are A/C deletes worth doing?

Mine doesn't work (and has never worked while I have owned the car), and I never use A/C anyway because I am allergic to the artificial condense in the air that A/Cs produce (Yes, that really sucks!). All I really need is a heater in the car to clear the winsshield.

And since I don't have much power going anyway, I was thinking that shaving the ca. 45 lbs off would help alittle too.

What do you guys think?

Edited by MMR

If it doesn't work then it would not matter. either way, might as well lose it and clean up the engine compartment.

matt

Exactly my thoughts as well.

The current one isn't leaking and it has pressure last time I checked, so I think it's just the A/C pump that's shot and a new A/C pump is like $1,000..post-161-1388183698055_thumb.jpg

So to me it's just dead weight, so IMO I might as well just delete it.

I just wanted to ask before I order a A/C delete kit.

Edited by MMR

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dorman+Products/326/34184/10002/-1

Are "Dorman Products" any good?

Edit:

I am ordering the rest of the stuff I need from JEGS, so it would spare me the cost of paying for shipping twice if I can just order it all one place. So thats why I ask.

Edited by MMR

Umm... doesn't the defrost use the A/C compressor to dry the air? If so you'd lose your defrost.

My car does not start to blow hot air until the car has warmed up. So properly..

They had fogged up windows lol... My dad's 66 Fairlane doesn't have working AC and getting the windshield clear is a nightmare. It just gets wet on the inside/out and you have to keep wiping it off with a rag.

Yep, I have been getting pretty much used to that now. :)

The cars without A/C can still have a working defrost. The one in my old 70 Mustang worked really well once the engine warmed up. That thing had a crazy hot heater though. I remember having to shut it off because my shoes would get hot when I had it blowing on the floor.

Here is how it works.

yes cars with out an A/C do still have a defroster, it just takes a little longer because the air is not dehydrated so you have to warm the car up a little more.

Yes your defroster will still work even if the a/c is broken..see sentence above.

A properly working a/c will defrost your window quicker because the air is dehydrated then heated. As it passes over the moist window the dry air more readily absorbs moisture on the window instead of just relying on the heated air to dry the window like the previous two scenarios.

And Morten i am not grasping how you can be alergic to artificially condensed air as the air coming out of the vents is dehydrated to about 15% humidity. All I can say is when you come to the states for school make sure you stay up North as you will die from the heat in the South during the summer if you can not be in the A/C

Matt

I deleted the A/C on my V6. Took off a lot of weight for it being a track car.

The pulley delete is like $40 from Ford. You have to run the full length belt still. There isn't a way to run a short belt with it gone due to how the other pullies are set up on the V6.

The clutch on the A/C in the '98 went out, and I'm just too lazy/busy to fix it. I made it through a Miami Summer in a black car with black leather... so it can't be THAT bad over there. :)

and I thought I was allergic to everything how did you find this out?

My eyes get red, I have trouble breathing through my mouth, my nose clogs up and my lips dry out (and sometimes crack a wound). I also feel disy and have trouble concentrating and get headaces.

In that sence I guess I found out the hard way..

It's the same (but not as bad) when the weather gets below the freezing point...32F I think it is in fahrenheit. Which is exactly why I need to move to some place warmer, it doesn't have to be exotic or tropical, just not this northeren climate.

I say keep and make it work , when I was looking for my car that was one of the first questions I asked . Does it have a/c still on it . I didn't even care if it worked but rather it was there . I love to cruise around on a hot day with the cold air blowing ... lol

I say keep and make it work , when I was looking for my car that was one of the first questions I asked . Does it have a/c still on it . I didn't even care if it worked but rather it was there . I love to cruise around on a hot day with the cold air blowing ... lol

yeah, I actually reconsidered doing this delete. I don't know how much longer I am going to keep my car.