Matt Miller

Exhaust question

I have a 1998 Cobra with side exhaust. It currently has an Offroad X Pipe and Pypes M80 mufflers welded in to a custom side exhaust. Its not loud enough for me so I was looking at the SLP Loudmouth bullet style resonators. Does anyone know how that will sound with side exhaust. I know it will be extremely loud but I think it might sound like shit. If anyone can help, that would be great. Thanks

Slp will be really loud but sound like complete crap, that is the lm1s.

I love my magnapacks, really loud when you step on it but nice and tame during daily street driving.

Flows on these cars don't sound the greatest but they are loud too with the right x pipe.

A local guy had LM1's in a custom made side exit, he drove it about a mile down the road, then turned around and went back to the shop and had them cut them out. It sounded horrible and he said it was unbearably loud. LM2's might sound ok, they are a bit more mild. LM1's can be somewhat tolerable with cats and rear exit, but with an off road mid pipe and side exits it will be miserable.

To give you an idea, Dynomax bullets are basically a race muffler and they are still better sounding and more tolerable than LM1's. Another local guy I know had a custom side exit made with Dynomax bullets on a 347 with an off road H and it does sound pretty good, a bit too loud at idle for me though, but that's personal preference. I prefer just pretty loud at idle, and ridiculous at WOT ;)

First off, welcome aboard. Secondly, unless you are going to make it a track car, i would advise against bullets to side exit. Your car will be overbearingly loud as well as it will not sound good cruising, but it would during WOT...

I'd stick with a set of magnapacks, spintech side exits, dynomax side exits, or your standard maganaflow side exit haha.

I'm running pushrods, but my exhaust is longtubes to 3" glass packs, dumping out the side. Check the gopro thread for my video if you want to hear it. It's strictly a track car and as Brett said, it's ungodly loud.

Between LM2's and bullets, LM2's would be better. Bullets are retardedly loud, and offer little as far as tone, a very rough sound.

For me, Borla stingers are the way to go for side exhaust, that's why I have them lol. Mild at idle and cruise, then obnoxious at WOT.

I don't think I've heard a good side exhaust on a Mod motor. Personally, I would run the Magnaflows over the SLP's, but that's my preference. As I've gotten older, I don't care for the Flowbastard drone anymore, so I've gotten out of those. I've got Magnaflows on the Cobra, but the rest of the exhaust is stock, so it's not nearly as loud as I would want it, but it definitely sounds good. I've got Dynomax bullets on the Capri, shorty headers, and off-road x-pipe, and I think it sounds great. It's not overly obnoxious in the car, but it definitely screams at WOT. Both of my vehicles exit out the rear.

One thing I can't stand about some exhaust setups is the crackle upon decel. But if you like it that's all that matters. When I did my exhaust I made sure it was 100% sealed from the engine to the turn its to help prevent crackle

Thanks. Everyone has their own preferance when it comes to exhaust, I just like mine insanely loud, raspy, and I love when it crackles haha. Thats just me. Heres a video driving.

Sounds a lot better driving dude! i'm sure it sounds nuts from outside lol