Slykin

Suede Interior

Hey guys, I've being driven crazy by all of the interior rattles/creaks in my car. With my stiff suspension it's pretty dang noticeable. I was wondering if anyone has thought of or seen a mustang already done with suede wrapped interior pieces such as the A-Pillar, the rear quarter panels, and maybe the console trim panel? I figured this may help reduce some of the noise while also looking better than the cheap plastic. I don't think it should be too hard to wrap that stuff, but i've never done interior work before, and i'm sure someone has a better idea of the difficulty than me.

suede is prolly about as elastic as tweed (which i've done alot of, lol) and the panels your talking about would be pretty simple but when it comes to needing to stretch and tuck. i would think it would get pretty tough. gotta make strange cuts and folds. but i def think it would quieten down some noise from friction.

i actually thought about doing that too with black suede. not for noise but for awesomeness :)

how is suede supposed to stop the rattles/noises? It is preventing the panel from rattling or preventing the sound from getting in? I would recomend some sound dampers before you do all that. Personally I used second skin on my car as well as some dynamat, luxury liner and spray deadoners but I am building a loud stereo and also wanted to dampen some of the exhaust sound from the side exhaust as well. You don't have to go as far as I did to get good results, a package of the regular damplifier would work wonders.

You can see my sound damping down the page here.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2395420/1994-ford-mustang-gt-coupe-2d/page-10/

i plan on doing my A pillars but the rear panels look like they would be too hard for me to do. I'm guessing wrapping the parts in suede would quiet it down because it would keep the plastic parts from hitting each other.

i think black suede with black leather is awesome! and i would def think if the sounds are coming from the pillars you could kill 2 birds with 1 stone...quieten them while making them look nice. do you have grey interior slykin?

the sound damper does the same thing if you put a layer between it and the panel, as well as helps to prevent some noise from going through it. It will make the panel fit tighter, and the rattling is stopped when the plastic now meets the aluminum/rubber mix.

let me tell you that removing the top panel just to recover it is no ANYWHERE as easy as you would think..... I am not sure how they did it, pretty sure ford reverse engineered some alien technology that taught them to weld cardboard to metal. I was pulling on it hard enough to see the metal flexing enough that I was afraid the paint was going to be messed up and lucky to get the panel out in one piece. I think the thought glueing it in that well would help the ridgidigy of the car or something, that or they hated the way all the gm headliners fell apart. It was a hard enough deal to do cleanly that I am not really sure I would recomend doing it unless you had too....

Well, it's fine for now and isn't falling apart so i'll probably leave that. It's not like I sit and stare up while i'm driving anyhow. What you said about the panels makes sense though, I just wasn't sure if you could fit dynamat between the A Pillar panels etc etc. I might have to look into that. Wrapping those pieces in suede would probably be a nightmare with all of the strange curves.

On my car the rattle came from the a/c vents in the center bezel (or whatever its called), I fixed it with some silicone around them on the back side of the bezel.

your first job honestly needs to be to isolate the rattles. The easiest way to do this is to have someone else drive the car while you search them out. Try pushing/pulling on different panels, sometimes you just need to touch it in the slightest way and the rattle will stop. Can't tell you how many customers trunks I have ridden in to do this and FYI - make sure you trust the driver to let you out or have the mob-pull lever to get out of it.

I need to jump on this suede headliner boat. Must be a rewarding fondle, like fondling big firm bewbies.

Sent from Space

Haha I was thinking the same thing....imagine if you could fondle the headliner....and the door panels at the same time....hell its practically foreplay at that point

lmao @ scott & onyx! so you guys like your suede headliners?? :biggrin:

Oh HEYALL yes I love it. Looks cool as hell and with as hard as it was to do(suprising hard honestly) it looks good. Its just that to enjoy it I honestly need to think about it and look up. The only other time I look up is for the air ride display and that still trumps the headliner in the fondling order with the explorer overhead.

Looking forward to getting some suede in my seats this week!