MMR

EGR delete question.

Okay, so I seem to find alot of different information about EGR deletes.

Some say that removing the EGR "helps keep the combustion temps down, increases mpg and makes cleaner emissions" and some say that the point of the EGR system is to "help keep the combustion temps down, increases mpg and makes cleaner emissions".

And some say "EGR delete is worth 0 hp" and some say it gives a few HP.

But with out a tune, the whole idea of deleting it is to clean up the engine bay and/or if it stops working and fixing it is too expensive. And the place where you live doesn't care about smog testing the car.

Anyway; what I cant seem to get an answer to is; if the EGR gets "deleted" in a tune (and of course the actual EGR system also removed from the car), what does this actually do for the car then?

Removing the EGR actually should RAISE EGR temps and lower MPG... theoretically. The EGR recirculates exhaust gases back into the heads which cools your combustion temps, and the leftover fuel in the exhaust adds to MPG.

He wants to know what gets shut off turned off etc in a tune that people actually go through the effort of getting it tuned off. Does that make sense? Like what is the computer still doing when you physically remove the egr but not systematically

What I am asking in Danglish (Danish + English) is EGR delete + tune, what does that do?

..or more like trying to ask, if my english vocabulary was better..

Deleting the EGR both physically and in the tune will net you no more than a cleaner bay, period the end. lol

That was the answer I was looking for. Thank you sir! :)

Rich, when you turn off egr in your tune, do you know what exactly changes in the way your computer has your car run or no?

I can diagnose ,fabricate and build them but tuning isnt my game so I cant really help you there. If I had to guess I would say it varies the timing and fuel according to the feedback it sees from the EGR without that function turned on it just bypasses and dosent adjust timing or fuel. Remember thats just a guess as Im not into self tuning, just dont have the time or will to learn lol

Other than to clean up the engine bay, LT install and if the EGR stops working, are there any other reason to delete it?

Even with a tune, is there any advantage of having the EGR deleted?

Other than to clean up the engine bay, LT install and if the EGR stops working, are there any other reason to delete it?

Even with a tune, is there any advantage of having the EGR deleted?

Absolutely no advantage

Absolutely no advantage

Hmm..okay.

It is just a pretty common mod to do to these cars, so it is just kind of strange if technically theres no point of it and it is pretty much worthless. But I guess the same thing goes for CAIs lol.

Its common with the 5.0 guys because everyone usually swaps intakes... they dont want to deal with the rusted egr tube and nuts or they brake the tube yada yada. Trust me there is 0 performance gain from doing this

I can diagnose ,fabricate and build them but tuning isnt my game so I cant really help you there. If I had to guess I would say it varies the timing and fuel according to the feedback it sees from the EGR without that function turned on it just bypasses and dosent adjust timing or fuel. Remember thats just a guess as Im not into self tuning, just dont have the time or will to learn lol

Missed this post earlier! Makes sense to me, mines shut off in my tune and i have a delete pulley so no harm no foul here.

Rich, when you turn off egr in your tune, do you know what exactly changes in the way your computer has your car run or no?

Ive got this... gimmie a few minutes to get all the data sorted.

Missed this post earlier! Makes sense to me, mines shut off in my tune and i have a delete pulley so no harm no foul here.

You are confusing the thermactor air pump, and the EGR...

post-64-13881837247303_thumb.jpg

Air - Error 332 Threshold (EGR) Irrelevant

Air - EGR Type (Sonic, PFE, None) This is where the system gets turned off.

Air - EGR Self Test Hardware Present Irrelevant

Air - EGR Test Max Idle Irrelevant

Air - EGR Multiplier Irrelevant

Air - EGR Alt vs BP Irrelevant (affects EGR Multiplier for changes in barometric pressure)

Air - EGR Multiplier vs ACT Irrelevant (EGR Multiplier is not affected by changes in air charge temp)

Air - EGR Multiplier vs ECT Somewhat Relevant (EGR Multiplier is increased from 0% to 99% in a linear fashion from ECT of 100° to 150° and reduced from 99% to 25% from an ECT of 230° to 240°, This also means that the EGR is completely disabled when ECT is less than 100°)

Spark - Base Adder EGR (Still figuring this one out...)

Spark - Borderline Adder EGR (When the EGR is functioning, Spark timing is added to the BORDERLINE timing table. Adds between 0.63° and 1.13° advance.)

System - Fuel & EGR Scalar for Load (X-Value set for tables) Irrelevant

System - Fuel & EGR Scalar for RPM (Y-Value set for tables) Irrelevant

Air - EGR Altitude (MAF value Adder RE: load vs RPM when the ECM references the Altitude Spark Table)

Air - EGR Sea Level (MAF value Adder RE: load vs RPM when the ECM references the Sea Level Spark Table)

By deleting the EGR system, your car will add a small bit of fuel based on the last two tables referenced above. This is only PART of why the car suffers a loss in gas mileage. By disabling the EGR system via tune, you eliminate this as an issue. The timing changes are minimal across the board.

OOOOOO gotcha! Great wealth of information man! Looks like you're pretty damn knowledge with BE

I've done my fair share of tuning... Probably the main reason why my 347 idles at 650rpm without a single stumble or surge... even WITH the OEM ECU! If EvilCW311???? is on here, I would certainly like to hear from him regarding the mail order chip I burned him.

So if I understand Mk2 correctly, you should "delete" the EGR in the tune but not actually remove it? Or only remove it if you're going to be correctly "deleting" it in the tune not just removing it without tune changes?

(reading comprehension fail)

To my understanding; if you remove the EGR system from the car, you should have it removed in a tune too. Otherwise you will see the trouble codes that mk 2 was discribing, because the car ECU still thinks the EGR system is still there.

Thanks Morten. That's what I figured. Like I said I never thought about removing the EGR aside from if I ever got a new motor and wanted to make the engine bay like Opal's or something. Which of course I would LOVE to do.