Psychorugby

Weekend Projects

• Moderators

I'm sitting here bored at work thinking of (hopefully) weekend projects for the Rustang. Having to wait for my friend to be home to use his garage for the suspension/brakes install has me desperately wanting to find something to putz around on little things on the car on the weekends. What all could I do to the engine bay to clean it up and pretty it up over the course of a few weekends? Here's what I am thinking so far:

Good pressure washing (probably happening this weekend, but this always scares me)

EGR delete

Spark plug wires and looms (do after doing HCI?)

Stainless fuel lines with AN fittings (still trying to figure out what I need here)

Stainless radiator hoses (don't even know where to begin, but need new hoses)

Other weekend projects:

Pull out carpet and pressure wash (believe it or not, this is the upholstery shop's recommendation)

Pull and clean the guage cluster, and repair the odo gear

Finish installing headlights (what a pain in the ass, especially when you break all the plastic clips)

What other little things make a big difference?

What motor do you have? I always forget these things. Idk how in depth you want to go but here's a couple small mods that have helped me get by:

LED gauge/HVAC controls

Painting powersteering resevoir

Wireloom spark plugs or get a DIY kit and then do it so you don't have excess wire

Foglight mod where you can run on independent of your headlights

If any of your brackets are easy to take off, painting them a nice solid color after cleaning them up

Battery relocation to the trunk

• Moderators
lol or I could just sell you new carpet :)

That would be my preferred route; not my wife's haha. The carpet is actually basically brand new, but the passenger rear floor is stained from the old top leaking.

What motor do you have? I always forget these things. Idk how in depth you want to go but here's a couple small mods that have helped me get by:

LED gauge/HVAC controls

Painting powersteering resevoir

Wireloom spark plugs or get a DIY kit and then do it so you don't have excess wire

Foglight mod where you can run on independent of your headlights

If any of your brackets are easy to take off, painting them a nice solid color after cleaning them up

Battery relocation to the trunk

It's a 5.0L. I plan to get Livewires or Taylor sparkplug wires, but have been holding off until I get the top end done so there is no excess wire. Foglight mod might be cool, as would relocating the battery (although it is a convertible, so there's basically no trunk anyway). I will have to look into those.

Idk how much of tear down you feel like doing but stuff that always bothered me was the front brackets looking dirty, the random wirelooms all of the place, power steering resevoir like i already mentioned.

• Moderators
Idk how much of tear down you feel like doing but stuff that always bothered me was the front brackets looking dirty, the random wirelooms all of the place, power steering resevoir like i already mentioned.

The wires bother the heck out of me, but I have no clue where to begin tucking them, or even how to do so.

Nothing like blinding oncoming traffic!! Lol, sorry I'm bias to doing it the right way ;)

I wouldn't do the EGR delete after reading that other thread. Most of those other options will definitely help out. A good cleaning and painting anything you can will make a world of difference like Det_Riot suggested.

Post a picture of your current engine bay. That always helps us see things that we might miss just trying to think off the top!

Anything interior wise been bugging you or maybe you'd wanna do different? LED's in the dome light is a very sublte toucher but will give your car a "higher end" feel. Or lights under the dash that turn on then the doors are open like joekd did

• Moderators

I should be careful what I wish for... I was sitting around bored right up to the point that I posted and from then on I was slammed. I will post some more recent pictures of the car this weekend.

LEDs. LED's errywhere!!!

License plate bulbs, map lights, dome light, hvac controls, gauge cluster, fog light swtiches, trunk, turn signals, etc.

If you know where to look, you could get lights for all the above for under $25.

It'll make a night and day difference at night. Plus you can go with whatever color you want.

• Moderators

Wow. LEDs are definitely on the list. I'll have to get shopping. I didn't get a chance to take pictures of the car or engine bay since my wife had plans for us and we weren't at home most of the weekend. The car is a stock rio red/saddle 95 GT convertible. The only modification I've done to it is the K&N intake.

Can you point me to a link on converting to HIDs? I'm not sure why, but this has always intimidated me. I'd really like to have bi-xenon projectors like my BMW.

Edited by Psychorugby