auto_x5.0

Front bumper cooling holes?

Was wondering if anybody has ever seen, or done front bumper cooling holes for a fmic, or something along those lines? I saw one on facebook, but didn't know if anybody else has seen them on a 94-98 sn95 or not. Just curious as to how they would look with more than just 4 holes.

You talking something like this... basic principal?

DSC_0161.jpg

I'm sure you could work something in with the cobra bumper and use the brake cooler brackets and just run the hose up to the front mount.

^^ That's for the turbo housing not so much the intercooler. But looks BADASS.

Yes, I know lol. But that is the only thing remotely close that came up on google image search so I figured I would throw it up. Just run a cobra bumper and mount the fmic low, should work perfect. No need the reinvent the wheel.

Ok, this is exactly what happened on Facebook lol

I was just wanting to see some before I did it. It's going to happen one way or another. Yes Hondas have them, no I don't care if they do. I think it's different, and with damn near no good looking exterior parts other than factory options for our cars I figured why not.

Ok, this is exactly what happened on Facebook lol

I was just wanting to see some before I did it. It's going to happen one way or another. Yes Hondas have them, no I don't care if they do. I think it's different, and with damn near no good looking exterior parts other than factory options for our cars I figured why not.

For one. The dude who did it on fb may have the top of line shit in his car like he says but if he needs cooling holes he isnt doing something right. For two, if his cooling holes are functional that means he got rid of his front bumper foam and stuff too? Seems like too much work when you can get an electric water pump, big aluminum radiator, big fan and be done with it. Ya know?

My reason is form over function, my cooling will have no issues at all. I like the "Racecar" look, the car is black with satin black accents, the holes will be barely worth anything more than aesthetics. Much like the sidescoops on a 94-95 sn95.

Personally I'd just try to find the cheapest good condition front bumper and modify that.

Seems a little silly to go pay the prices of a new bumper just to put holes in it. You could probably find a used bumper, cut the holes, prep/paint for close to the same cost.

I kind of agree with the others on if it was function but since you're doing it solely for looks then that's a different story.

That's just my .02

Do these holes do enough to make a difference?

realistically, if anything, they hinder performance on most cars because the bumper is not aerodynamically designed with bumper holes in mind from the factory...

I have an idea to solve this whole problem..

No front bumper, POOWW, your welcome and good night.

tumblr_ma3twwm1Lk1qd9vxuo1_400.jpg

Beating a dead horse here but I agree with many others as it will look awful IMO. Although it is your car and what's the worst that could happen? You buy a bumper, drill holes, hate it and put your old bumper back on. Immediately proceed to plan B.

Sent from Space

Edited by Steve-Oh

I have one in my bumper. I didn't put it there, a truck with a hitch backed up. I have electrical tape over it and a new bumper waiting to get painted.

This whole thread is rice and a waste. As stated, holes in the front will feed air into NOTHING. You'd have to remove the foam and the actual front bumper to get air into the radiator. If you need it, you have an issue with your car, and need it fixed.

As Brett hinted at, you'll actually are hurting performance. You want SMOOTH airflow up there. A group of holes up front are going to catch, pack and slow down airflow. Disrupted airflow = more drag = less performance.

Want a race car look, build a race car.

realistically, if anything, they hinder performance on most cars because they are not designed to flow air through the bumper.

also if anything don't you need an actual scoop to catch the air and make it flow in to where it is at?

I remember reading something like that in an article about "ram-air".

something in the line of; it needs a certain scoop like shape to make the air flow into the scoop, otherwise the air will flow in circles around the hole, actually making it restrictive.

I may remember it a little wrong, but I will see if I can find the article again when I get back on my computer.

^^ Correct, you need to 'funnel' air into it. Otherwise the air in the straight tube/hole gets stacked/packed in and actually will restrict flow. The funneling effect will allow incoming air to pressurize the tube/hole and keep air flowing through it. That is why functional scoops are big at the open end and narrow as they collect air.

Yes, for ram air to work you will essentia"velocity" stack style. Grabs a bunch of air, uses a smooth area to funnel air into a smaller area thus forcing large amounts of air into a small area for the search for better cooling. I'm not some ricer kid, I know what needs to be done to create a fully functional race car. Like I said, yeah it may be "rice", but the good news I honestly don't care.

LilROUSH, I understand your a racer or whatever, but I honestly think your wing is rice, is other cars can get it done with a duck-tail style, why do you have a park bench spoiler on your trunk? You do know what you're talking about, and I see that. But you guys are taking shots at something "different" so you immediately consider it ricer.

So slamming a car with 20s on it and a body kit isn't ricer? But adding a couple holes because I think it looks good is?(Not a shot at Tony just using him for a reference)

It's fine, I will take care of it else where. Thanks for those who helped.

sorry but rice to me is doing something that has no function or hurts functions solely to look like a racecar. Lilroush's wing has plenty of function, it may not be pretty but that's why he has two trunks and two spoilers, one race and one not. It's your car man but you're probably going to regret cutting holes in your bumper and you're certainly going to be laughed at by anybody who actually does race.