Venom351R

Upgraded My HDTV

since last fall I have been wanting to get a new TV. Currently have a Sony Bravida with a whopping 720P and 100,000:1 contrast ratio and 60hz. I have known what I wanted for a TV for quite awhile and bounced back and forth between two of them for awhile between the Samsung and LG but eventually went with the LG which I will explain why. I wanted a 3D TV w/ out a doubt. I figured if I was going to upgrade I might as well go for all the bells and whistles. I also wanted 120hz and 1080P. That pretty much rounded out what my requirements were. When I got reading more about 3D I came to realize that there was Passive and Active 3D and after reading up on both I decided to go with a Passive 3D system due to the glass's not needing battery's, glasses being less expensive and overall comments and feedback regarding the Passive 3D system. This in a sense knocked out the samsung, that and the fact it only had 3 HDMI ports, I always like to have more then what I am going to use and the LG had 4. One of the main reasons for wanting to upgrade was that I have a lot of bluray movies now and none of which I can see the full potential of plus Ive been buying 3D movies as well just to assure myself that I do upgrade the TV. Also the pending release of the PS4 later this year is another big factor. Kinda odd I seem to upgrade my TV on the cycle of the new PlayStation system releases.

I considered getting a TV that as not a smart TV but the difference in contrast ratio between the smart model TV and the non smart model was enough for me to get the better model. It was a contrast ratio difference of 4,000,000:1 to 8,000,000:1. The model I ended up deciding to get is the LG LM6700 47" 120hz 1080P 3D Smart TV. 47" is not huge but going bigger would have broken the budget and it will still fit on my current TV stand, I did not want a TV that was hanging over the sides of my stand on each side and the 47" will pretty much max it out. Its bigger then what I have now and I dont need to prove I have a big penis by getting a 60" TV ( no offense to those who do ). I decided that I wanted a TV that best suited me for its functions quality and performance, I would rather spend my money there then just on screen size so over all I got more value for my money VS just getting a bigger screen just to say I have one. My friend mike has a 72" monster yet I'd take my 3D 47"over that any day. So after months of reading reviews and watching videos and reading comments I finally decided to get it. It will be here next week. I currently have a Pioneer 5.1 surround sound system but it is outdated, it still works great so I'll be giving it to my sister and soon to be husband and I'll be upgrading to a Pioneer 5.1 system in May that comes with a bluray player and is 3D capable. Here is a link to the TV for those who want to check it out and I will post up some pics when it does arrive next week. Still waiting for a tracking # to be sent to me.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-47LM6700-led-tv

Edited by Venom351R

So awesome! Looks like the "borderless" tvs I've been obsessing over. Mine is only 2 years old so it'd be just extreme desire that I would buy a new one.

Sent from Space

If you want to buy a new TV now is the time to do it price wise since from what I have read Feb/March tends to be the cheapest for TV sales due to them pushing out new models very soon. Everyone thinks black friday but that is not a sale that effects every single TV in a store or online. I watched this TV and the samsung that is a lot like it on black friday and cyber monday the price did not budge on either one. Its usually lower end models that they slash the price on just to get you in the store so you buy other stuff as well.

The thin boarder is what really sold me on it as well. From what Ive seen for videos they said it beat out the samsung slightly as far as thinness and the only boarder being around the bottom. The clarity on this is amazing, Ive seen it in store and while they jack all the settings up b/c of the lighting but despite that it is so clear and crisp when compared with other TV's. The price of this has bounced around a lot since this fall it was as low as $850 on amazon not to long ago but then went back up again. I was going to wait until May to get a TV and while this one is not in danger of being discontinued b/c it is new model I just figured now was a good of a time as any. Here are a few pics I found of it online and a few that I took in store at best buy this fall.

A17EB888-30EE-4C5C-81D0-A61C4CAADD79-654-0000009381F11C73_zpsa3fa0a73.jpg

A1E10EE4-C646-4425-B628-09DBBBCA94B7-654-0000009380AA6DEE_zps9e5dbd15.jpg

FAC78047-14BE-4514-BE0F-34EBD3A4AC20-654-00000093837AC449_zps38bffa5f.jpg

0E762C58-1ED9-4B96-899C-289FE4E12605-654-00000093887ECCAB_zps5e9336ec.jpg

Sucks having to wait for it to ship, much rather would have bought it and brought it home but I got it from where I got it from for a reason so I'll have to deal with the slight wait. From what I have read this TV looks great out of the box but as with any TV you should calibrate it for optimal settings. Usually its a few hundred dollar fee to have someone come out and adjust all the settings for best picture quality but I found a lot of online sources for how to adjust everything. This TV also converts 2D to 3D, while it does not look as good as actual 3D its still a nice option. It also has an auto setting to adjust the display depending on the lighting conditions being night or day. Over all its had some really great reviews, CNET had a hard review on it and even the comments below the review said they did not agree with their assessment on it. Between Amazon and Best buy and other sites it had received excellent reviews so I no doubt will be happy with it. I already had bought new HDMI cables awhile ago knowing I was going to get one at some point. I have a few HDMI cables now but I wanted to get newer ones anyway and they are so cheap from monoprice.com that there was no reason not to get new ones.

Edited by Venom351R

The New TV will be here on Friday. I'll be able to schedule a time for it to be delivered which works out great b/c I have an apt in the morning anyway. Once I get it unboxed I'm going to update the firmware and calibrate it for a better picture then throw in one of my 3D movies :hump:

Still playing around w/ a lot of the settings but overall I really like this TV. Watched Spiderman in 3D after I got it unboxed and the firmware updated. Still have some wire management to do though. I'll watch the Hobbit later on tonight. Here are a few pics so far.

This was "Before"

D93EC8C7-F43D-488D-8D2E-F2E1C72E3A10-831-000000B76F0968C7_zpsda73b8e8.jpg

And this is "Now" These were taken with the 3D Blu Ray disc in so it might seem a little blurry.

7E3F3EB9-9596-49CF-BD2E-0204A1EA60B0-1384-000000B675F460CA_zpsc7e36856.jpg

75B608AA-4857-43CF-B94C-82C9FB70F963-1384-000000B67F66A25A_zps6b2c5246.jpg

1EB64C78-D287-4B52-A484-E55970D7FC55-1384-000000B69294B1C5_zpsbed0b64c.jpg

This was through the 3D Glasses.

8D5B2BD1-3993-491F-B596-7EF6249E1ACB-1384-000000B69B6C12AA_zps971f229b.jpg

166AC199-BF56-4B97-A871-C9C65ED479A5-1384-000000B69FBA867B_zps6d2899e1.jpg

Ive done some more picture tweaking and it looks quite good now so I'm happy with it. Ive watched a lot of 3D and converted 2D to 3D which looks really great I was surprised. The clarity and picture is just awesome. Watching netflix is so clear it looks like ultra high deff. The 3D really pops in some scenes and at all times has the deep picture looks. For those of you who have seen the Hobbit at the end where gandlof sends off the butterfly to get the huge birds the butter fly flew right out of the screen it was in the middle of my living room and the ending to the Amazing spiderman was just mind blowing. The only issue I have had so far is that I was missing a box of 3D glasses. It should have come with 6 and I only had 4. I just called LG and they are sending me out another box free of charge so no big issue there. Its great watching netflix w/ a smart app and not having to use the PS3 all the time. The web browser is quite nice as well. Over all I'm really happy with it. Should last me quite along time until I upgrade to a 4K UHD TV at some point considering they are 25K right now and 4K movies/games/TV shows dont exist in the US yet and I'm not to fond of moving to South Korea at this point in time.