Steve@CJPP

2000 Cobra R Chases Down Porsche Carrera GT At VIR

For those of you who have never experienced it, road racing from the cockpit can be an incredibly thrill-inducing ride, and gives a ton of enjoyment for the driver in the process. We recently came across this great video of a 2000 Cobra R chasing down a Porsche Carrera GT at Virginia International Raceway, and just had to share it with you. The Porsche is one of the best road-course cars built, but Ford’s Cobra R is a venerable performer in its own right when prepared correctly and in the hands of a capable driver.

The Cobra R came out of the factory in an incredibly-limited quantity, with only 300 units produced, all of which were supposed to land in the hands of drivers who were to compete with them in road events across the country. To this day one of the most capable track Mustangs ever produced by Ford, arriving with a sweet 5.4-liter Modular engine putting out 385 horsepower and 385 foot-pounds of torque. In fact, the cylinder heads from this model ended up slightly modified and on the later-edition Ford GT road cars. Engine output was further aided by a “trumpet-style” intake manifold, revised camshafts, shorty headers, and even a Bassani X-pipe coupled with a unique side-exit exhaust system. The car arrived with a front splitter and large rear spoiler designed to create incredible downforce, a set of Eibach springs coupled with vehicle-specific Bilstein shocks and struts, and a huge set of Brembo stoppers designed to perform on the racetrack. 3.55 gears and a Tremec T-56 transmission were also factory-installed, making this one of the most capable Mustangs ever, especially when you realize that the inimitable Jack Roush had a large hand in its development. Enjoy the sights and sounds of this particular car overtaking the Porsche on the the racetrack – the side-exhaust creates a unique note not found on any other production Mustang.

Source: StangTV

• Moderators

I've wanted one of these from the moment I laid eyes on it. Had my dad not sold me the 95 GT, I probably would have converted my 01 V6 to this car.

^^ Truth. So much of a road course is the driver. Best car in the world gets you know where if you can't stay on your line and work your pedals correctly.

I gotta say the funniest and most embarrassing thing I've seen is a spec miata blowing by an M5 that had a huge wing and was all decked out with power and aero.

some may not agree but road racing is for fast drivers, drag racing is for fast cars (with a few exceptions like f8l)

Isn't the G-Stream adjustable as the OEM COBRA R isn't?

correct, but on an R... i'd sacrifice a little functionality to keep an original piece on it, because the R wing IS still functional just not as much.

My friend mike has an 00R. Does not drive it much hes to in love w/ his AMG now. Plus he has a Saleen 281 so the R does not get much attention. Should offer him to keep it in my garage to free up some space for him :)