Det_Riot

Det_Riot's T-56 into 1994 GT Thread!

This is going to be my thread dedicated to logging the process of putting a T56 into my 1994 GT. I'll be trying to buy everything that I need before I start the swap, that way I can get it all in, measure the needed driveshaft length, and then take it someplace to get it shortened.

Here is what I bought locally off of craigslist for $1500:

-Cobra R Spec T-56, 10 spline input, 31 spline output

Gear Ratio:

st

nd

rd

th

th

th

8652069435_61ddf264de_b.jpg

-Slip yoke for output shaft

-Spec Stage 2 Clutch

8652069161_41b473da55_b.jpg

8653168156_24f35b53eb_b.jpg

-Pro 5.0 shifter

-Shift knob

m5lp_0901_19_z+2008_shelby_GT500_mustang+shift_knob.jpg

-cross member that supposedly bolts right into my car :shrug:

Things I need to buy:

-Bellhousing - There's a few options out there. If I go with the D&D, it isn't SFI approved if I ever get into serious racing. As of right now, I haven't decided on buying one new, and am trying to source my options of buying it used. Will update once purchase is made.

Lakewood Quicktime

-
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qti-rm-8030/overview/make/ford
- $593 - I found this cheaper by $150 on racemart.com BUT from all the reviews online, I'm very weary about ordering from them.

qti-rm-8031_w.jpg

Mcleod

-
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/mcl-8750-00
- $425

mcl-8710-00_w.jpg

D&D's Aluminum

-
http://www.ddperformance.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=90cPath=110_103_121
- $399

IMG_6457.jpg&

-Samoco Industries Reverse Lockout Solenoid Control Module - http://www.samocoind.com/T56MODULE.html - $99.99

The T56 has a reverse actuator on it that prevents you from misshifting into reverse. This solenoid module uses the next connector I have listed, to take the input of the speed and activate the actuator to allow you to easily shift into reverse

00JEEP0001_15.JPG

-12" Long T56 (Ford 2 wire) VSS Speed Sensor Connector - http://www.samocoind.com/T56%20ORDER%20FORM.html $12.99

-Driveshaft - As most you know, I just bought a ford racing aluminum driveshaft. Once I get the bellhousing and other goodies in, I'll have to measure the distance from the middle of the rear pinion flange to middle of the transmission slip yoke opening, take that measure and my driveshaft to a competent shop and have them shorten it. From what I've read/seen, it should only be about $100

Once I get the trans ready to swap, I'll start taking pictures of all the steps along the way!

Edited by Det_Riot

• Moderators

I have the D&D on my T56. He helped me install it on my 66 back in the day when I think I was the 2nd or 3rd person to put on in a first gen Mustang. What a nightmare that was, and now I am going to swap it to the 95.

Very nice, I like:emmersed:

Thanks man! I've seen thousands of threads asking questions blah blah blah but no good write ups.

I gotta get mine in before you do. It will be really sad if you get it in before mine

Especially because my trans is at your house!

You are going to love it. I don't ever want to drive a 5 speed Mustang again after being able to bang gears on a T56.

I can't wait!! I figure I'll drive the hell out of it until I twist the input shaft, then step up to 26 and have liberty or d&d run through the whole thing!

get started detroit i want to see pics. too bad im so busy with work and school right now other wise id stop by to help

Haha no problem Tyler, I figure it'll be another week or two till I start. This weather sucks dong.

i think we need to just do a straight burnout day lol and then swap trans :)

Hahah idk what this means but I don't think it'll end with us swapping trans' ;)

I have the D&D on my T56. He helped me install it on my 66 back in the day when I think I was the 2nd or 3rd person to put on in a first gen Mustang. What a nightmare that was, and now I am going to swap it to the 95.

Legit man! Its awesome to be one of the firsts I'm sure but it must also suck doing it all in unchartered territory

• Moderators
Legit man! Its awesome to be one of the firsts I'm sure but it must also suck doing it all in unchartered territory

Just takes a lot longer is all and you end up with a kinda basterdized product. That's part of the reason it is going to the 95. I'll be watching this thread!

Damn you beat me to this, I was going to make one for my swap as well. I spent several days researching what I'd need to do the T56 swap, I'd love to compare notes with you off the record and see what you've found.

You could find a cobra shaft and pinion flange. It would be a ton easier. I also recommend the quicktime bell. I have the lakewood and its a whore to sling up to bolt it on. Hefty shit.

Sent by smoke signals

The plan as of now is to go with the quicktime bell! Isn't it made by Lakewood? And I'm looking for a cobra shaft but if I don't find one before I start the swap, I'm just going to get mine cut and shortened.

why in the world would you spend that kind of money on a swap and use the shitty 10 spline?

Cheaper than any 26 spline swap I found, it was local, and plenty of guys are running 500+ through the stock cobra t56's. Its easy enough to build it up later.

I'm still 10 spline and a guarantee mine sees way more abuse than him

Absolutely true :(

shoulda bought my built t56 for a couple hundred extra bucks

Shoulda had it for sale locally to me ;)

based on how he talks i was under the impressed he had something powerful and fast

my bad

In time man! :cheers:

he should put cooling holes in his front bumper

Not sure if serious or trolling :look:

Quicktime and lakewood 2 different companies

Sent by smoke signals

That's what I thought, but the QuickTime bell housings are listed on the Lakewood website so it was throwing me off

I haven't even started yet :shrug: I gotta order my bellhouzing first! Planning on next weekend as this one is gonna be shit outside and my garage isn't very work friendly

Nope, yours is last lol jk jk

Of mine is not done this weekend, it will be for sure next weekend.

Edit

Or at least it will be getting pushed out of the garage by then

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Edited by 1997cobra

Thanks, unfortunately, sold the t56 and just bought a tko so gonna making a thread for that instead. Onyx cobra should be completing this thread