smallblocksn95

AFR 185 question

does anyone if the afr-1422 heads, with the 2.02 intake valve, will clear a factory 1996 351w piston? i can't find a definative size but it seams they are either 17 or 22 cc. please no comments about "just use aftermarket pistons" I'm looking for an answer before i order these heads.

^thats what I was going to say. I mean I guess you could order them, once you get em, check PTV and if they don't work return em, just make sure you don't scratch em or anything and you should be fine

Maybe he wants to run booost?

A factory 351w block and stock pistons will hardly pass any kind of limitations for a forced induction motor with even a 58cc head. 93 octane and a good tuner can run boost on 10:1 CR EASILY

*edit*

Hell, Even the little honda fags are running turbos on the K20Z3 from the 06-11 Civic Si... and it has 11:1 CR

Edited by The Mk2

185's are considered on the smaller side for a 347. I'll be running 195's on my car with some port work. Likely closer to 200. You might want to consider them with some port work, minimum.

I guess I just wanted to add this on for future searches...

When I was hanging out with Ed Curtis, I told him I was considering 185CC heads for my 347. He said... NO. He then told me about how the 195 and its flow pathing has been proven to be a better head for a 4.030 cylinder. So that is the way I am going. If I was told NO about 185's on a 347... I cant see you being told any differently.

The fact that its still only 351 ci

haha...no. My 351 HAD 185's on it and I always knew they were to small of a head. While a lot goes into what size head is best ( its more then just the # ) but I would not considering anything smaller then a 195- 205cc head for a 351 unless it had some good port work done. Like Keith said a 185 head is better suited for more of a mild 347 or a stout 302. My heads are 234cc and I'll have dyno numbers in a few weeks so you can see a comparison of 185 AFR's ( My previous heads ) and shorty headers VS my now High Port 234cc's and Long Tubes