eskyseal281

what to do with my 1997 Cobra

Greetings everyone and thank you for the warm welcome, just join the forum yesterday...can anyone say NOOB!!!! LOL. Anyways, about a year ago I bought a 1997 Black Cobra for 5200 dollars on Craigslist (i live in CA). Originally I bought the car to replace my Black 96 GT, but the more and more i looked deeper into the car, I found more problems :( The front end was in some sort of accident, so the front bumper cover and fenders do not fit well, no matter how hard i try to adjust them....prob spent one whole weekend with my girlfriend trying to make the fenders, hood, bumper look right, with no luck. Looks like the engine is solid, hesitates a little in mid range, but otherwise fine. Everything about the car, except the engine, just feels worn out. Maybe i am in too deep over my head? I know i can't get any money for it, had it for sale on Craigslist for over a year with only people wanted to drive it for fun or give me offers of 2K!!!!???? So this is where i need help....feel like I need advice. This is sorta a dream for me to own both a GT and a Cobra. Don't know what direction to go in....I guess i would like advice on what YOU would do if it was yours and had a smallish budget.

post-474-13881838191262_thumb.jpg

post-474-13881838188048_thumb.jpg

post-474-13881838188806_thumb.jpg

post-474-1388183818951_thumb.jpg

post-474-13881838190343_thumb.jpg

The "hesitation" you feel in the mid range is probably the IMRCs opening. They get gummed up and start to stick.

as far as feeling worn out, what do you mean? sloppy?

And for the body, it looks close in the pics. Maybe better pics showing the misalignment would help, but it looks about the same as mine. I say keep it and plug away at the problems. Soemthing looks off with the suspension, the front should not be that low

**edit**

to tell you the truth, I wish I would have started in a position like that. I paid 10.5k for mine, and I am going to still be modding it. I could have done most of my suspension work on a car like that, and still been under 10.5k

Edited by 1997cobra

I had thoughts of that...but not sure I can do that here in CA???? Love your car Det_Riot. Also...what happens to the Cobra once all the cobra 'bits' are taken from it???is it worth anything to anyone???

Thanks 1997cobra. The car's steering has so much play it isn't even funny....replaced the rack with AGR quick ratio power unit, new poly bushings for end-links front sway bar and if i remember right, the rack came with poly bushings. I think I have to swap stock steering shaft for Maximum Motorsports shaft, but no clue how it will fit, and for $269 kinda a gamble to hope prob goes away. I had a thought it might be the IMRCs being the issue, read that those can be tricky. As soon as i get my camera i promise to take pics of body panel issues. As for the front, I bought the SVE springs and shock/strut kit. they sit a lot lower that my Ford Racing springs. someone asked if i left the isolators out to lower it more in front, but i didn't, just put in urethane pieces for the springs.

Seems like you got it for a great price. I would slowly rebuild it. You've got the GT, so if the cobra goes down for awhile while you clean it up and fix it, keep it as make it better than it was brand new.

Tapatalk made me do it!

Older posts on SVTP have pretty good tech but the place has really gone downhill the past few years. Here is a link to some IMRC cleaning threads http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/search.php?searchid=12987328 I did mine a few years ago and it was a simple process easily accomplished with basic hand tools and a few cold beer.

Thanks 1997cobra. The car's steering has so much play it isn't even funny....replaced the rack with AGR quick ratio power unit, new poly bushings for end-links front sway bar and if i remember right, the rack came with poly bushings. I think I have to swap stock steering shaft for Maximum Motorsports shaft, but no clue how it will fit, and for $269 kinda a gamble to hope prob goes away. I had a thought it might be the IMRCs being the issue, read that those can be tricky. As soon as i get my camera i promise to take pics of body panel issues. As for the front, I bought the SVE springs and shock/strut kit. they sit a lot lower that my Ford Racing springs. someone asked if i left the isolators out to lower it more in front, but i didn't, just put in urethane pieces for the springs.

You can pretty easily see the rag joint from under the car, jack it up, and have someone give the steering wheel some short, quick jerks (oh bby). If you see that its slopping around, replace it. The mm piece will fit, they wouldnt put it out there if it didnt. Take the back Isos out? that massive amount of rake can make you car track weird because of the loss of caster. And on top of that, Det_riot doesn't like rake competition ;P

Older posts on SVTP have pretty good tech but the place has really gone downhill the past few years. Here is a link to some IMRC cleaning threads http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/search.php?searchid=12987328 I did mine a few years ago and it was a simple process easily accomplished with basic hand tools and a few cold beer.

BAM! what he said

Seems like you got it for a great price. I would slowly rebuild it. You've got the GT, so if the cobra goes down for awhile while you clean it up and fix it, keep it as make it better than it was brand new.

Tapatalk made me do it!

^^^yup

Thanks guys...you kinda got me back into the car, think the plan is to do the entire car over...but over a long period of time because i am trying to get new house. Plus i really want to take my time with it and having viewed some amazing posts on members project, I can do anything to my SN95. Thanks again guys think i will have a million and one questions along the way, lol

Thanks guys...you kinda got me back into the car, think the plan is to do the entire car over...but over a long period of time because i am trying to get new house. Plus i really want to take my time with it and having viewed some amazing posts on members project, I can do anything to my SN95. Thanks again guys think i will have a million and one questions along the way, lol

Glad to hear it! Always good to know another sn95 is being saved :)

Ha Ha Ha....so i made the BIG mistake and told my girlfriend that I am keeping the cobra and plan to bring it back to like...(insert your favorite 'facepalm' picture here, lol)...and oh how it will be lonely on my couch...but I will have the keys to my cobra, right...LOL. I sure i am not the only one to have made this "mistake"...anyone want to weigh in on this...LOL...

you'll be fine. buy her some flowers or something sh'll get over it. i've had to do this with about every girl ive had in the past 8-9 years.

as for the cobra, how mechanically inclined are you?

Knuckles

LOL...good to know I am not alone. Well i am planning to pull out the IMRCs this weekend if i don't have to work....and been reading a lot abut these sticking/whatnot on the 96-98s. Need to order me some gaskets. also since the cam covers are pitted and have seen better days, might paint them wrinkle black. I plan to keep car black...so thought it might be cool. Did that to my 83 GT. Also forgot i had a spare steeda tri-ax from 96 GT (when i switched to MGW). so threw that in, so that helped a lot. trying to think what else i just did...kinda want to pull motor and slowly (do to budget) have a shop rebuild it, forged internals. the engine bay looks HIDEOUS!!!!! Yuck....i need a passenger side fender apron, new radiator core support, and fill smooth...possible wire tuck compartment. Was reading new issue of 5.0 Mustang and saw they used JB weld to fill small holes...anyone tried that???

try MMRs engines, as far as price youll be hard pressed to find a company that builds quality for their price. you send them your block and crank.

god no, I wouldnt suggest that place to my worst enemy. they build horrible motors. have you not seen the threads popping up every day about blowing their motors less then 500 miles into life, or having issues from the get go with them? there quality isnt anything near what it use to be, and they now have a very bad name in the modular world..

livernoise, dss, SHM... just not MMR

I would start with usual tune up,plugs, wires/coils, change the oil, pull it apart clean the iirc, intake manifold/ tb. do a compression test. just to make sure its running right, then for mods I would do a k&n or intake, exaust, headers and gears, a must 1st 3 mods on a cobra or stock mustang, is deff gears ( esp on a 4 valve car they love gears, exaust/ headers.