Schiffy

Ball joints question

Ok, so while tearing the k member out yesterday to do the headers, unrealized BOTH ball joint boots are ripped. I didn't fix them yesterday, as I was just spent on the header install. However, I need to tackle them before they fail and I die. lol... That being said, does anyone recommend anything special or just got with a factory replacement? Car has stock kmember and control arms with coilovers. I've heard about the X2's, but have seen mixed reviews. What do y'all who have replaced y'all's recommend? If its no big deal, I'll grab factory replacements from advanced auto and knock it out as soon as I have the money to get them.

Tapatalk made me do it!

I personally use stock balljoints, but I drill and tap them to put in a grease fitting. Way cheaper then the x2, and better quality. I ordered the x2 from AM and had one break after 3 days. Imho, they are junk.

Moog is what I go with. You can also look at my How-To for balljoints on here somewhere...I have a picture comparing the stock vs moog balljoints and you can make your own opinion from there.

Moog is what I go with. You can also look at my How-To for balljoints on here somewhere...I have a picture comparing the stock vs moog balljoints and you can make your own opinion from there.

Found it, read it, gonna do it, BUT... I need to wait a week or 2, as the header install pissed me off so bad, that I need a break from working on the car. lol

Tapatalk made me do it!

Headers are easy. I have X2s. I bought them because they are made in the US. Mixed opinion on them. I ended up having to grind a ton off the control arm to keep them from interfering with the brakes, and the boots don't stay on very well.

Kurt

Found it, read it, gonna do it, BUT... I need to wait a week or 2, as the header install pissed me off so bad, that I need a break from working on the car. lol

Tapatalk made me do it!

If the headers pissed you off the ball joints will REALLY piss you off haha.

If the headers pissed you off the ball joints will REALLY piss you off haha.

Only benefit of doing ball joints is I'm not taking the entire care apart. I've done suspension so many times I can do it with my eyes closed! lol... Getting to the removal and reinstall if the ball joint will be cake, it's getting the ball joint out, then in. I can already see it pissing me off. lol

Tapatalk made me do it!

Yeah, that's the fun part lol. I always have a good swearfest when trying to press the balljoints back in.

I have a buddy around the corner with a press. I thought about taking the control arms off and pressing them on and off at his house. lol

Tapatalk made me do it!

I have a buddy around the corner with a press. I thought about taking the control arms off and pressing them on and off at his house. lol

Tapatalk made me do it!

I don't know how much trouble it is to remove the arms and put them back on... but hell yeah I'd try it lol. The rentable ball joint presses suck.

I don't know how much trouble it is to remove the arms and put them back on... but hell yeah I'd try it lol. The rentable ball joint presses suck.

As long as I have air tools and PB blaster, I think taking the control arms off might be easier. lol

Tapatalk made me do it!

As long as I have air tools and PB blaster, I think taking the control arms off might be easier. lol

Tapatalk made me do it!

Agreed. I would even replace the LCA bushings while I was at it. Just remember to torque the LCA bolts with the suspension loaded... but i'm sure you know that.

I wouldn't bother with trying anything less than a press to do the ball joints. I've done it with a gear splitter before, but it wasn't a pleasant job. Usually if you drive up to your local service center they will press them in for $10/each.

Kurt

Agreed. I would even replace the LCA bushings while I was at it. Just remember to torque the LCA bolts with the suspension loaded... but i'm sure you know that.

Actually that never even occurred to me...

I wouldn't bother with trying anything less than a press to do the ball joints. I've done it with a gear splitter before, but it wasn't a pleasant job. Usually if you drive up to your local service center they will press them in for $10/each.

Kurt

That's not bad at all, but I've got a buddy with a press, so that $20 saved can be spent on beer for the reinstall. lol

Tapatalk made me do it!

screw ball joints. I mauled my a-arms and ball joint getting it loose from the spindle. Luckily i was switching to the maximum motorsports forward offset a-arms otherwise I'd probably have a bent a-arm lmao.

you are looking at a bitch of a time to get those LCA bushings out.

do yourself a favor - spend the money and pick up the 03 cobra front lower control arms and just install them. Remove, replace - done. The ball joints, bushings and the arm itself will be upgraded and brand new - no rust, no hassel. thats what I did on my 94 GT. Piece of mind comes with it.

Rock Auto has them at the best price out there.

Good luck man!

do yourself a favor - spend the money and pick up the 03 cobra front lower control arms and just install them. Remove, replace - done. The ball joints, bushings and the arm itself will be upgraded and brand new - no rust, no hassel. thats what I did on my 94 GT. Piece of mind comes with it.

Good luck man!

Sorry to jump in but thank you for posting that. I was just thinking today about replacing my ball joints and getting a bumpsteer kit. Maybe I'll consider going this route.

• Moderators

Good luck man!

Not knowing Rock Auto carried these, I bought a rusted set off eBay for $15, had them cleaned and powdercoated for $100, then brand new Prothane bushings and MOOG ball joints installed. All said and done, I spent $335. The Steeda bumpsteer kit was another $110.

I'm surprised more people dont know about the 03 cobra front LCAs. 94 to 04 - GREAT suspension upgrade! 250 for the set is pretty good. Here's the part numbers on Rock Auto:

[TABLE=class: main, width: 990]

[TR=class: part0, bgcolor: #F0F0F0]

[TD=class: alternate0][TABLE=class: parts, width: 897]

[TR]

[TD=class: left][TABLE=class: layout, width: 885]

[TR]

[TD=class: partlayout]MOTORCRAFT Part # MCF2251 {#MCSOE136}

Front Left Lower (Only 3 Remaining)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: right, align: right][/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: center leftrightborder boldfont priceonly alternate0, align: center]$125.79[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TR=class: part1, bgcolor: #E0E0E0]

[TD=class: alternate1][TABLE=class: parts, width: 897]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: partlayout]MOTORCRAFT Part # MCF2248 {#MCSOE108}

Front Right Lower (Only 3 Remaining)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: center leftrightborder boldfont priceonly alternate1, align: center]$125.79[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

GET THE MOTORCRAFT CONTROL ARMS. they are the ford pieces. think of it like upgrading to SVT front lower control arms.

for reference: I put a set of dorman lower control arms on an 05 v6 coupe. two years later, the ball joints are shot. Get the good stuff, tried and true OR replace them more often.

I'm surprised more people dont know about the 03 cobra front LCAs. 94 to 04 - GREAT suspension upgrade! 250 for the set is pretty good. Here's the part numbers on Rock Auto:

[TD=class: alternate0][TABLE=class: parts, width: 897]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: partlayout]MOTORCRAFT Part # MCF2251 {#MCSOE136}

Front Left Lower (Only 3 Remaining)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: center leftrightborder boldfont priceonly alternate0, align: center]$125.79[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TD=class: alternate1][TABLE=class: parts, width: 897]

[TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: partlayout]MOTORCRAFT Part # MCF2248 {#MCSOE108}

Front Right Lower (Only 3 Remaining)[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[TD=class: center leftrightborder boldfont priceonly alternate1, align: center]$125.79[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

WOW! Thanks. Just ordered some. I guess they come with OEM BJ? Do the BJ have grease fittings?

GET THE MOTORCRAFT CONTROL ARMS. they are the ford pieces. think of it like upgrading to SVT front lower control arms.

for reference: I put a set of dorman lower control arms on an 05 v6 coupe. two years later, the ball joints are shot. Get the good stuff, tried and true OR replace them more often.

Rgr that. What's the benefit of going to those 03 LCAs aside from not having to mess with the ball joints?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge.

the ball joints are a newer design compared to the ones in my 94. the bushings are also a bit more stiff i believe.

I ordered two of of Rockauto but never saw any info on whether the ball joints have grease fittings or not?

I just went out and looked at mine. No zerk fittings.

No grease fittings. That kinda sucks. How long would a ball joint last with no grease fitting? It maybe better to just take my arms off and have a shop press out and press in the new moogs with grease fittings? I could get a bushing kit and have the shop install those also.

My stock 1994 control arms went over 100,000 miles before the ball joint started showing play. and that was only on one side. I would assume with the updated 03/04 cobra control arms, with the better bushings and the better ball joint, that it would hold up just as long if not longer.

One more thing - that control arm was re-designed for the SVT cobra. I would think that if it needed a zerk fitting, they would have added one?

I think your right. Been reading up on ball joints and from what I can tell is if the ball joint is of good quality, doesn't need greasing. I'm sure the 03/04 Motorcraft A arms (the old timers word for LCA) are top notch and I'm sure the ball joints will out live my ride.