NVRL8TE

Driveline vibration.

So, after a recent T56 swap, and a 4.56 gear swap with an 03 Cobra aluminum driveshaft, around 70 (2900) in 6th I get a crazy vibration. Bad. And between 2200-2800, it's there, too. But not as crazy, and it kind of pulsates, per say.

Push the clutch in, it disappears...

I'm thinking I might index the driveshaft in a different position. Maybe that's a start?

Help. Lol

U joints are good. I never noticed this vibration until recently. And I kinda did all the changes at once. I will note, that above 70 and its happening, it goes away when I let off the throttle.

Recheck the pinion...

Double check the u-joints. I don't think its that honestly cause it would shake when you let off aswell.

Used DS or new? Could be outta balance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Pushrod91

I agree, its not the driveshaft or the rear if you step on the clutch and it goes away at 70mph.

did you do anything to the clutch or flywheel when you did the trans swap?

the problem exists between the flywheel and the driveshaft i'm thinking.

I had some thing similiar to that happen. A couple of the bolts on the driveshaft to pinion flange had backed off. 2 minute fix.

I ran into the same question this last time I broke my transmission. All the transmission builders I talked to said to stick with the 3550 series transmission and pass on the T-56.

Kurt

3550 is sbf only right? I feel like the t56 fits the mod motor perfectly. did he give you a reason? i seriously would like to know. are the 3550s the bulletproof transmissions of the sbf realm?

3550 is sbf only right? I feel like the t56 fits the mod motor perfectly. did he give you a reason? i seriously would like to know. are the 3550s the bulletproof transmissions of the sbf realm?

3550/tko hold a ton of power, they are just notchy and need to have shift mods done by some good company out there (liberty/hanlon/d&d). Most guys stay tko and don't go t56 because essentially a stock t56 is weaker then a tko but will shift better out of the box. A viper spec t56 or magnum 6060 will essentially be the bulletproof trannys across the board for everyone, but the added cost, weight and double over drive usually shy people away from going that crazy.

It has to do with what you're doing with it. The 3550 can be put in a GM or a Ford, it only came in one car, and that was the Cobra R. The 3550 series, and T-56 are actually built to the same technical spec, so they are virtually identical in strength. The TR6060/Magnum T56 are built to a stronger technical spec, but they have engagement problems that make them impractical. If have a reasonable sized camshaft having a sixth gear wouldn't be practical because the engines don't like to run at low rpm and high load as it would at crusing speeds anyway. The sixth gear isn't worth the extra weight of the T-56 for me. However, the big determining factor for my car is the price points on most of the hard parts. Every part in a T56 costs 3 times as much as it does for a 3550. Since my car makes over 700 ftlbs of torque, the reality is that it's just going to keep breaking things, and I'm just going to have to keep fixing it. For example, I just saw a 26 spline input shaft for a 3550 on ebay new for $67. The best price I can find a 26 spline input shaft for a T56 is $338.

Kurt

You guys have some good info. But lets keep this thread on topic.

Start a new thread on trans differences if you like. Be good to look up if need be.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Edited by Pushrod91

Driveshaft and u joints appear fine. How many inches should the yoke be sticking out of the tailshaft?

Its not a set measurement. Bottom out the yoke of the driveshaft, then pull it out an 1-1/2 inches. Its more about engagement length than excess out

Lol well idk how long your yoke is ;) you gotta unbolt it from your rear end pinion, bottom it out, then pull it out 1-1 1/2 inches and that's where it should be

I'll do that tomorrow.

Bolting on my OEM 10th anniversaries tonight. And it's LOL more complex then it seems. Gotta go get my fox an hour away, bring it home and swap. I'm skeptical on how anthracite will look against Mystic.