Infidel4life11

Cobra mods need advice

So I have a stock 96 mystic with low miles. This is my 6th mustang, 3rd SVT

(2Cobras and 1 GT500). My problem is I would like to build this one and do it

right the 1st time and my issue is I don't know which route to take. No racing

will be involved other than some 1/4 mile testing. Car will be driven on the

weekends, attend local shows and just be for me and the wife to enjoy. I'll give

you a few ideas and tell me what you think.

Mods that are going to

happen:

Cobra R Hood

Lowering Springs

18x9/10 Chrome FR500s

Saleen

S281 wing

03-04 Seats

Option 1:

Leave the Motor

alone

CAI

Long Tubes

O/R X

Spin techs

4:10s

IMRC

deletes

Tune

Option 2

Option 1 W/ Vortech V3 or single

turbo

Option 3

5.3 Stroker

03-04 heads

01 Intake

CAI

Long

Tubes

O/R X

Spin techs

T56 swap

IMRC

deletes

Tune

Option 4

Option 3 W/ Vortech V3 or Single

turbo

I would be content with 400rwhp. I told myself that I wouldn't put

another Vortech on a mustang but after looking into the V3 and seeing the prices

on the KB 2.1, I figured the V3 was a good option. I'd like a single turbo over

the V3. Then on the same hand the 5.3 all motor makes me all kinds of giddy. My

only worry with this set-up is the small stuff from changing the heads and

intake.

use a real blower and go with a procharger.

With that said. why dont you decide what you will use the car for, then from there decide how often you will use it, what you will run the car on ect. From there now look at your options. Anyone can list off 5 ways to make 400hp but you need to look to see what you want, how you will use it and what makes sense.

good luck

use a real blower and go with a procharger.

With that said. why dont you decide what you will use the car for, then from there decide how often you will use it, what you will run the car on ect. From there now look at your options. Anyone can list off 5 ways to make 400hp but you need to look to see what you want, how you will use it and what makes sense.

good luck

"Car will be driven on the weekends, attend local shows and just be for me and the wife to enjoy."

- - - Updated - - -

Option 3. Go big or go home. lol... Course it all depends on how deep your willin to dip Ito your pockets.

Man I like the idea of that boss block 5.3 stroker gets me all kinds of giddy.

If you're only looking for 400hp, why do the effort of the stroker. From what it looks like to me is you just want a nice cruiser with some pep. If that's the case, keep the motor stock, throw some boost at it via supercharger, and have a ball. Doing a stroker and all that seems like way too much effort for 400hp

If you're only looking for 400hp, why do the effort of the stroker. From what it looks like to me is you just want a nice cruiser with some pep. If that's the case, keep the motor stock, throw some boost at it via supercharger, and have a ball. Doing a stroker and all that seems like way too much effort for 400hp

Guess that's option 2 lol

If its a weekend traveling to car shows cruiser, I wouldn't even bother building it. Maybe detail the hell out of it and clean up the engine bay, but keep it stock and reliable at that point then.

LOL thanks for the input brother. I've been thinking the same just keeping it simple.

If yiu end up going that route too, I'd just throw a supercharger on it as its less to mess around than the piping of a turbo, then you have to change your whole exhaust set up too

If you go option 1, keep the IMRCs. They are not there to hurt you. They give you torque down low, and sacrifice like 2 hp up top. A good oil separator on the pcv and an egr delete will solve all issues with them.

Hell, I dont have any of that. I just make sure they open at least 1 time every time I drive it. Gives them 0 chance of sticking.

why not just c head swap, centri blower, and a tune? no need for a 5.3l at 400 hp

400 Isn't the goal I just would be content with it.

I Agree that a H/C/I swap or a blower would get me there just fine and I'm cool with that which is why I'm asking you guys to see if I'm better off keeping it simple.

I'm not going to lie the H/C/I or the 5.3 scares me a little bit due to stepping away from whats factory.

The wife really wants a 6speed so an ATI/Vortech and the T56 swap maybe in order.

Thanks for all the input please keep it coming.

- - - Updated - - -

If you go option 1, keep the IMRCs. They are not there to hurt you. They give you torque down low, and sacrifice like 2 hp up top. A good oil separator on the pcv and an egr delete will solve all issues with them.

Hell, I dont have any of that. I just make sure they open at least 1 time every time I drive it. Gives them 0 chance of sticking.

why not just c head swap, centri blower, and a tune? no need for a 5.3l at 400 hp

Which oil separator, egr delete do you recommend?

400 Isn't the goal I just would be content with it.

I Agree that a H/C/I swap or a blower would get me there just fine and I'm cool with that which is why I'm asking you guys to see if I'm better off keeping it simple.

I'm not going to lie the H/C/I or the 5.3 scares me a little bit due to stepping away from whats factory.

The wife really wants a 6speed so an ATI/Vortech and the T56 swap maybe in order.

Thanks for all the input please keep it coming.

- - - Updated - - -

[MENTION=341]1997cobra[/MENTION] or [MENTION=262]NVRL8TE[/MENTION] can tell you all you'd ever need to know about t56 swaps

• Moderators
@1997cobra or @NVRL8TE can tell you all you'd ever need to know about t56 swaps

I guess I know who to bother when I get around to doing mine! I'll be doing a double trans swap... T56 to the 95 and T5 to the 66.

Remember that the 5.3 is more then just a stroker. You'll need to either resleeve your block or step up to the Boss block.

I have a 5.3 in my car. It's been pretty reliable for the last couple of years. I know I'm well beyond the 400 you're taking about. If you're just looking for a cruiser do some bolt ons and just enjoy the car. Leave the blowers to those of us that seem to enjoy bitching about belt issues.

If you do end up going with a stroker/blower combo I'd rethink the gears. You don't need steep gears when you have torque. I have 3.90's and sometimes I wish I had just gone with 3.55's.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

Edited by 01yellercobra

Don't mean to steal the show. You're saying a T5 will fit 96-98 Cobra and you have done this?

No he isn't saying that.

"I'll be doing a double trans swap... T56 to the 95 and T5 to the 66."

No, not at all. A T5 will not work on a modular. At all.

I knew that but its some smart folks out there doing inventive things, you just never know. :) I talked to Wally over at Promotion Transmission and he said you lose a little HP with a T56 due to the ratio from 5th to 6th. It's hard to beat a well build T5 or T45.

I cant personally recommend one because I dont have one yet. I've seen some home brew setups that didnt look bad, steeda offers a kit that is close to the homebrew stuff, moroso has them also. Just need to do some simple plumbing. EGR delete is basically plugging the manifold tube and putting a block off plate on the intake manifold. Then turning it off in the tune

@1997cobra or @NVRL8TE can tell you all you'd ever need to know about t56 swaps
I guess I know who to bother when I get around to doing mine! I'll be doing a double trans swap... T56 to the 95 and T5 to the 66.
Ask away. I know it all about T5 swaps, too.

Fire away, I'll tell you everything I know. Check my build thread also, tons of info in there

This is the seperator I'm looking at. Pricey, but all the GT500 owners love it.

http://www.shop.bobsautosports.com/Oil-Separators_c4.htm

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

looks like a quality piece!

T56. FTW. Trust me. And go big with the gears.

I should add that [MENTION=262]NVRL8TE[/MENTION] and I swapped a t56 into his car in less than a day ;)

So I have a stock 96 mystic with low miles. This is my 6th mustang, 3rd SVT

(2Cobras and 1 GT500). My problem is I would like to build this one and do it

right the 1st time and my issue is I don't know which route to take. No racing

will be involved other than some 1/4 mile testing. Car will be driven on the

weekends, attend local shows and just be for me and the wife to enjoy. I'll give

you a few ideas and tell me what you think.

Mods that are going to

happen:

Cobra R Hood

Lowering Springs

18x9/10 Chrome FR500s

Saleen

S281 wing

03-04 Seats

Option 1:

Leave the Motor

alone

CAI

Long Tubes

O/R X

Spin techs

IMRC

deletes

Tune

Option 2

Option 1 W/ Vortech V3 or single

turbo

Option 3

5.3 Stroker

03-04 heads

01 Intake

CAI

Long

Tubes

O/R X

Spin techs

T56 swap

IMRC

deletes

Tune

Option 4

Option 3 W/ Vortech V3 or Single

turbo

I would be content with 400rwhp. I told myself that I wouldn't put

another Vortech on a mustang but after looking into the V3 and seeing the prices

on the KB 2.1, I figured the V3 was a good option. I'd like a single turbo over

the V3. Then on the same hand the 5.3 all motor makes me all kinds of giddy. My

only worry with this set-up is the small stuff from changing the heads and

intake.

4.30 gears atleast man. Dont fear the gear