woody

Project 96 Rio GT 5.0 Stroker

The car came with MagnaFlow Cat-backs and Center-force clutch.

First mod was to remove all previously installed owner mods like chrome stick on emblems, etc...

Then I swapped out the seats for good used seats from my old 97 Cobra.

This past weekend I installed tinted tail light, third brake light, new visors, new convertible drivers side latch, cubby insert under the radio, Cobra Hood, FRPP Hood pins, and rear wing.

gy8ena6a.jpg

hu2eve8y.jpg

nabazyqa.jpg

qepasu4a.jpg

8a2eje6a.jpg

yse3etys.jpg

erugu3y8.jpg

arajysyp.jpg

6ydarume.jpg

e6y4e5eb.jpg

uvuqenar.jpg

a5ehy2am.jpg

Got the new keys programmed and cut today. Home Depot cut the keys for free.

aqy3eba8.jpg

The remotes where easy to program using the following directions:

1. Open trunk and remove the trim on the drivers side until you see a box that says anti theft on it.

a2y9ebah.jpg

2.Turn the igniton to the ON/ACC position.

3. Find the plug with 2 terminals and nothing going to it. Its the only plug there with nothing connected to it.

gege6upu.jpg

4. Using a jumped wire connect those 2 terminals....you'll hear the door locks either lock or unlock....that means its ready to be programmed.

5. Press unlock or lock on the remote a few times until your door locks start to work.

The keys where also easy to program. I only had 1 original key and was able to just follow the instructions to add a key:

On-Board Programming Method "B" for Ford keys (1996 -early 1998 Ford, Lincoln, Mercury)

If you want to initiate a new master key....

1. Insert new key into ignition cylinder and turn it to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen minutes.

2. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder OFF and then back to the ON (RUN) position. The security light on the dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

3. When the security light stops flashing, you have FIVE minutes to start the next step. Turn the ignition cylinder to OFF and then back ON (RUN) position. The dash will flash for fifteen more minutes.

4. After the security light stops flashing the third time, the new key has been programmed into the vehicles computer and will operate the car. It has replaced ALL the previous electronic key codes and is the ONLY key programmed into the vehicles computer.

If you want to add a key....

1. Insert an existing key into the ignition cylinder.

2. Turn the ignition cylinder to ON (RUN) and back to OFF.

3. Remove the existing key and, within 15 seconds, insert the new key and turn it to ON (RUN).

4. The security light will light up for two seconds to indicate success in programming the key into the vehicle.

5. Don't attempt to start the vehicle with any key for at least 1 minute.

Edited by woody

Since I plan on getting new rims soon and the chrome is starting to bubble in some areas. So I decided to try DupliColors Black Chrome Kit.

Before...

ahamytyr.jpg

Old decals that the previous owner put on.

bybe8uma.jpg

Removed...

2a2azy8e.jpg

1st coat...

6a7ejybe.jpg

2 coats...

jabavuby.jpg

3 coats...

yguma6ut.jpg

4 coats...

tuby4uzy.jpg

ezype6a3.jpg

hepu8ane.jpg

epe2a4y4.jpg

I plan on better pictures in the sun and daylight.

Well this is the Cobra Motor that was in my old 97 Cobra. I spun a rod bearing on the #2 Connecting Rod.

pa5utuze.jpg

za9a5ymy.jpg

u5ahyja4.jpg

tejedyza.jpg

gupy5uga.jpg

y7e5avep.jpg

uzu6a2e9.jpg

2ajurumu.jpg

adu7a5e8.jpg

6apu9yba.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Pulled more of the top end apart. Most defiantly oils starved. The cams are not damaged, nor are the valves or followers. The Lash Lifters were very dry and gunked up. Signs are pointing to failed Oil Pump.

ageruguz.jpg

yqequdy9.jpg

qepe8ymy.jpg

guhujeje.jpg

baduba2y.jpg

emynejat.jpg

epeqygyt.jpg

6ybupyru.jpg

zysesehu.jpg

5ahyruvy.jpg

asyjesa8.jpg

raze8ymy.jpg

aty9ere3.jpg

behe9eje.jpg

e9uhenaz.jpg

3abadyba.jpg

8y5adyty.jpg

ugasa2an.jpg

edegyqeh.jpg

y5yhepe4.jpg

Pulled some more stuff of the engine. There is a lot of stuff to pull off before you can take the timing cover off to get to the oil pump.

6urynahu.jpg

yburu6ad.jpg

hyguna6y.jpg

yna3a7e7.jpg

8umy9abu.jpg

ypuma6a6.jpg

tugu7yva.jpg

e6y6u8u8.jpg

urare5a9.jpg

e4abybyz.jpg

7adujatu.jpg

All removed parts are organized and bolts in labeled baggies.

hesaqu5e.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Had a friend take my Intake & Valve Covers to his work to clean them in his parts washer. I'm happy with how clean they turned out.

Valve Covers Before:

verura6y.jpg

Valve Covers After:

ahe3epy9.jpg

Intake Before:

dabeseha.jpg

Intake After:

epezejam.jpg

Side by side:

uje8u3a6.jpg

uty2ateh.jpg

I got the engine pulled from the donor car.

unabazad.jpg

y2yre6am.jpg

The clutch was to the rivets, so will be replacing that too.

mu4ama9y.jpg

yjabudu4.jpg

Rotated the engine and pulled the oil pan off... Surprise... Shavings in the pan and pickup screen.

gyry6aga.jpg

#3 piston has a spun rod bearing.

http://youtu.be/J3efWS0Uutw

Time to finish stripping it and rebuild and upgrade!

- - - Updated - - -

Pulled more off the motor today. Will be replacing the Crankshaft. The #2 Rod Bearing spun.

susabe8y.jpg

#2 Connecting Rod Cap...

mu3e9e6u.jpg

That's not suppose to look like that.

apega3ez.jpg

The damage to the crankshaft.

4uqezubu.jpg

Gee which one is the bad one.

yme9y5a9.jpg

3y8ehy7u.jpg

rasu9a6y.jpg

Got the engine completely torn down today. Now to send the block and crank off to a machine shop.

Didn't know that my block was a Teskid Block.

a3erybyr.jpg

8agu3una.jpg

a5y7uqyj.jpg

3u8e6e8a.jpg

9yty9u3a.jpg

zebypade.jpg

Passenger side head...

ryneha6u.jpg

Passenger side Pistons...

ugu6usep.jpg

Drivers side head...

eve6etu9.jpg

Drivers side Pistons...

jebahege.jpg

y8e9y9aq.jpg

egehu7yj.jpg

ybu8etub.jpg

me6y8ega.jpg

u9adyda8.jpg

ubu9usug.jpg

be5evaru.jpg

equja9ej.jpg

ymurepa2.jpg

Teskid casting number...

e9y6ypyh.jpg

Good lord that poor engine...Make sure you don't forget about the oil cooler as I'm sure it also has metal shavings in it. Have you decided on a piston/rod combo yet? Are you going to keep it N/A?

I'm scrapping the block and going with a set-up from MMR with Manley Pistons, Rods and ARP 2000 Rod Bolts. Will take me some time, but hope to have it done in about a year, so I can do a swap. Also doing a full MM K-Member, A Arms, and Coil Over kit.

I'm scrapping the block and going with a set-up from MMR with Manley Pistons, Rods and ARP 2000 Rod Bolts. Will take me some time, but hope to have it done in about a year, so I can do a swap. Also doing a full MM K-Member, A Arms, and Coil Over kit.

Is the block ruined? That's an easy $300-400 in your pocket (atleast in Va) if you clean it up and sell it.

Is the block ruined? That's an easy $300-400 in your pocket (atleast in Va) if you clean it up and sell it.

Not sure if it is still good. The previous owner was hard on this engine. I'm going to send it off to a machine shop to have it cleaned, honed, and inspected. Then I will know.

Not sure if it is still good. The previous owner was hard on this engine. I'm going to send it off to a machine shop to have it cleaned, honed, and inspected. Then I will know.

I wish if had an extra Teksid laying around. If built a forged bottom end and slap it in my '98.

I wish if had an extra Teksid laying around. If built a forged bottom end and slap it in my '98.

The engine came out of my 97 Cobra. It spun the rod bearing in June and has been sitting. The Ex wife got the car in the divorce, but I still had the engine in my dad's garage. She sold the car. So I decide to rebuild it for my GT and take my time and do it right. Plan is to keep it N,A.

250 and you can have a teksid short block with warranty from Luis. Not forged but still a hell of a deal

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Tapatalk 2

The engine came out of my 97 Cobra. It spun the rod bearing in June and has been sitting. The Ex wife got the car in the divorce, but I still had the engine in my dad's garage. She sold the car. So I decide to rebuild it for my GT and take my time and do it right. Plan is to keep it N,A.

Sounds like a solid plan... I'm doing a 4V swap the weekend of November 8th into my '98 GT. Buddy totalled his Mystic, so we're doing a heart transplant. Haha

Sounds like a solid plan... I'm doing a 4V swap the weekend of November 8th into my '98 GT. Buddy totalled his Mystic, so we're doing a heart transplant. Haha

Sucks about the Mystic, but interested to see how your swap goes. Are you swapping computers too?

Sucks about the Mystic, but interested to see how your swap goes. Are you swapping computers too?

No, I'm keeping my wiring harness and computer. I've got a tune from Luis (can't remember his SN to tag him) who's a site sponsor here (Ortiz Performance) he's gonna send me a new tune for the 4V, and I've talked with [MENTION=275]Blackmage[/MENTION] who's done the swap before to get all my ducks in a row. Should be fairly straight forward swap. Extend a few wires, and upload the new tune, start it up and check everything... I've already got the Mystic rearend, so this is just one more piece. Keeping it in our circle. lol

No, I'm keeping my wiring harness and computer. I've got a tune from Luis (can't remember his SN to tag him) who's a site sponsor here (Ortiz Performance) he's gonna send me a new tune for the 4V, and I've talked with [MENTION=275]Blackmage[/MENTION] who's done the swap before to get all my ducks in a row. Should be fairly straight forward swap. Extend a few wires, and upload the new tune, start it up and check everything... I've already got the Mystic rearend, so this is just one more piece. Keeping it in our circle. lol

I have the Cobra rear end, Cobra brakes, and wiring harness.

I have the Cobra rear end, Cobra brakes, and wiring harness.

I'm going to give the brakes back to my buddy and put the GT brakes on so I can clear 15" rims. My buddy offered me the harness and computer, but if I can reuse all my current stuff, we'll use the harness and computer for either my buddies 5.4 build, or [MENTION=145]PRPVinyl[/MENTION]'s 4V build. Also got a friend converting his 2V to a 4V. lol... To think 5 years ago we were all diehard 5.0 guys to. [MENTION=145]PRPVinyl[/MENTION] still is with his Nova though)

I'm going to give the brakes back to my buddy and put the GT brakes on so I can clear 15" rims. My buddy offered me the harness and computer, but if I can reuse all my current stuff, we'll use the harness and computer for either my buddies 5.4 build, or [MENTION=145]PRPVinyl[/MENTION]'s 4V build. Also got a friend converting his 2V to a 4V. lol... To think 5 years ago we were all diehard 5.0 guys to. [MENTION=145]PRPVinyl[/MENTION] still is with his Nova though)

I know - the modular motor has so much potential. Just pricey to build.

I know - the modular motor has so much potential. Just pricey to build.

It is pricey, but since my buddies and I are all diving into it, it's a little cheaper, cause we help each other. For example, the engine I'm getting on "credit" because I don't have the money now, but my buddy knows I'm good for it. The Longtubes and mid pipe on my GT right now, my buddy picked up in Georgia(I'm in Va) and brought them with him when he visited to save shipping money. He also found the PI heads I was goin to use if I stayed 2V.

I just have to take my time and make sure the car remains drivable for the next 12 months. I use it as my daily driver right now, but will be getting another mustang for a daily driver next fall. This winter the major mods will be a rebuilt rear-end with 3:73 gears, Strange or Mosler 32 spline axles, plus FRPP drive shaft, new clutch and flywheel.

Nice! What "took a crap" in the rear end?

looked like part of the mount was cracked off on one of the upper control arm mounts?

edit: actually nvm, i was looking at it funny. :P

I would not have been working in the rain haha, props to fight through that. i woulda just said screw it for the day!

looked like part of the mount was cracked off on one of the upper control arm mounts?

edit: actually nvm, i was looking at it funny. :P

I would not have been working in the rain haha, props to fight through that. i woulda just said screw it for the day!

It rained the night before and was wet out. I was lucky and it didn't rain on me during the time I was working on it. It did drizzle during the time I ran up to the auto parts store for a torx socket to remove the ABS sensor.

Got some more stuff today. Slowly collecting the little parts so when the spring comes I can build this.

Valve cover Gaskets

Intake Gasket

Throttle Body Gasket

EGR Gasket

Air bypass Gasket

Oil pan Gasket

Timing Cover Gasket

Oil Filter

Oil Temp Sensor

zugereru.jpg

pejarata.jpg

e4u7uda9.jpg