Bullitt5466

Useful tip for those mounting intercoolers on your car!!!!!

I ALWAYS see on forums people hacking up the metal portion of the bumper to fit an intercooler, or even ditching it completely...Here is what I did to keep the strength of the bumper itself!

You can space it out!!! I used some plastic block we have at work ( VERY heavy duty) and cut it to 1 1/2", got some longer bolts, and shazam! No need to hack into it. My friend also did this but used aluminum. You can either ditch the foam piece or cut it down to fit into your bumper, I just threw it out.

My intercooler is a CX Racing 31x12x4

smc1hc.jpg

Hope this can help out some people in the future!

I've heard of it happening, but I have done a few pulls up to 120 and haven't had any problems.

Good to hear, I was wondering if I would have trouble with a OEM cobra bumper folding in cause I run no foam behind mine right now....needed room for intercooler and trans cooler.

MY buddy has the stock GT bumper with no foam and has hit the track numerous times with no issues, I also know another guy with a 99/01 bumper with no foam OR metal bar, and ran mid 11s with no problems

Hmm, thanks man, that makes me feel so much ebtter about buying a bumper cover with no support under neath it haha.

although it is my vehicle. i really like this design concept my fabricator told me. it works well. at an angle the air dam shovels air and ditching the OEM support with a tubed piece, still gives it rigidness.

img0131w.th.jpg

img0112je.th.jpg

img0110h.th.jpg

This is what I was referring to..

Sent from my iPhone

IDK if there's any true to this, maybe it belongs more in boosted section but i've heard that mounting intercoolers like that or like a V will cool the engine too much and unless you're down south in arizona heat, actually are a burden on the motor?

IDK if there's any true to this, maybe it belongs more in boosted section but i've heard that mounting intercoolers like that or like a V will cool the engine too much and unless you're down south in arizona heat, actually are a burden on the motor?

Lol I don't think that is possible to cool the air too much

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

that's what I thought, but the way it was explained to me is that the air coming in was so cool, that the engine wasnt getting up to operating temps

can you post more pics of your set up, Bullitt? I will be running an inter cooler set up when my motor is finished.

Sure thing, I will just have to upload them from my phone. I bought the CX Racing universal kit,and cut them to fit. I'm also a welder so it was easy for me to weld what needed to be welded. I think I welded two pieces

Sure thing, I will just have to upload them from my phone. I bought the CX Racing universal kit,and cut them to fit. I'm also a welder so it was easy for me to weld what needed to be welded. I think I welded two pieces

Thank you =] im just looking for more of a reference so i know what im looking at when i tackle the project.