robb15033

Sparks Across Coil Pack

Just got into car & it sputtered. Opened hood and saw drivers side coil pack with orange sparks, like lightning bolts, shooting across top of coil pack. On top of coil pack, underneath plug wire boots on 2 of them. I do have a set of brand new plugs, extra set of coil packs. I was gonna clean up ground connections, dry entire area, swap out coil pack first, possibly replace the plugs too. The existing parts are all just months old, never had an issue. Was running perfect when I shut it off last night. Has rained 2" in past few days though.

-Anybody else ever see tiny lightning bolt sparks shoot across top of coil pack before?

Thanks!

I didn't film it, I wish I did. Looked like those plasma globe sparks, but orange.

Fixed now. swapped out the coil pack. Runs perfect. I'll take a look at old sparky that was removed sometime tomorrow when its dry and some sunlight, hopefully.

I've got a plethora of new parts to install and things to fix.

Back in the day of spark plug wires we would check for bad wires by starting the engine up in the dark. Saw some pretty cool light shows. It sounds like either the boot is ripped or the case is cracked. <br /><br />Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk<br /><br />

pop off all your wires and have someone try starting the car, you;ll get a really fun light show! lol   

most of the time its just the plug wires going bad and should get rid of the arc-ing and misfires.  I've had to do that on more than a few vehicles when they had fireworks under the hood

yupp! did that in autoshop on my GT! only I kinda zapped myself...... long story short, I use to try to change the blinker fluid..

<br /><br />I was adjusting the carb on an old Camaro and the vacuum gauge touched the coil and carb body. That hurt like hell.<br /><br />Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk<br /><br />

another common and easy way to diagnose a bad cable is you will hear it clicking when it fires, and when you go to touch it you will get a shock. Don't worry its only elctrons and they are really small.

<br /><br />Make sure to lick your fingers first so it conducts better. <br /><br />Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk<br /><br />