Rolocut

How to Glaze, Wax and Shine Your car for a Show

So i knew about in mid Jan that my car was accepted to a pretty large indoor car show. It was pretty darn exciting because the cars there range from original Boss 302 cars to GT40s and Ford GTs to Lambos to custom hot rods with frame off restorations with air brushing under the car to tell stories. It is an invite only show so i knew i would need to go crazy on the paint to make it shine and stand out. Well Naturally im thinking polish with a finishing black pad. It ended up not really doing a thing to hide or get rid of the tiny swirls you can only see in the crazy lighting at my shop from one angle. So next Went to just a show car glaze with a black finishing pad that had ridges in it. That did the trick. Spent 4 hours going to town. To my suprise there was a little over spray in some areas which i think was from painting the bottom and it coming up through the little cobra rear brake vents.

After that was Pinnacle Souveran Paste wax for a heavy coat with letting it dry for 20-25 minutes. Also used meguires high edurance spray tire shine. Stuff works great to my suprise it didnt sling and looked great. I also whiped on the meguires show car glaze on the rims and let it sit for 45 mintues then followed with souveran wax.

And Damn, it looked good.

But none the less i decided to drive it 25 miles to the show in our salty sandy white roads. So the whole car needed spray detailer and another coat of souveran.

Heres the final result at the 55th Frank Marattas Auto Show

post-385-0-38590300-1393681942_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-33330700-1393681944_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-51578500-1393681946_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-20603900-1393681948_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-82204000-1393681949_thumb.jpg

post-385-0-91627200-1393681951_thumb.jpg

Question for you detail guys. I have a detailing outfit in the town I live in. I went by to get an estimate on a mirror finish detailing. He said he would do the entire car inside and out, take the rims off to clean them and paint the calipers and put it on a lift to wash the underneath for like 200 bucks. The question I have is he said in order to get the mirror finish, he would have to wet sand the entire car with 2000 grit paper. Does this sound right...The part about having to sand it to get that mirror finish? I have like swirl marks. Looks like small scratches everywhere but its from where the car was painted and left sand marks, I guess.

This:

Rolocut

"It ended up not really doing a thing to hide or get rid of the tiny swirls you can only see in the crazy lighting at my shop from one angle"

I have the same swirls

Question for you detail guys. I have a detailing outfit in the town I live in. I went by to get an estimate on a mirror finish detailing. He said he would do the entire car inside and out, take the rims off to clean them and paint the calipers and put it on a lift to wash the underneath for like 200 bucks. The question I have is he said in order to get the mirror finish, he would have to wet sand the entire car with 2000 grit paper. Does this sound right...The part about having to sand it to get that mirror finish? I have like swirl marks. Looks like small scratches everywhere but its from where the car was painted and left sand marks, I guess.

This:

Rolocut

"It ended up not really doing a thing to hide or get rid of the tiny swirls you can only see in the crazy lighting at my shop from one angle"

I have the same swirls

@SON1C any advice?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

First off don't use a detail shop. No one takes more time then someone you know or yourself. I have a feeling you didn't have the same tiny little swirl marks you'd never see outside of fluorescent lights beaming down from walls and ceilings. If you have fresh paint a wet sand in not needed unless it has maring in some spots that need addition attention or orange peel. Detail shops don't do a great job, they could just put a cheap filler polish over it then 2 car washes it has same issues.

Find a buddy or a buddy of a buddy who is good. To get something perfect going somewhere who doesn't have the same heart you do is not the way to go. I just happen to know how to work with paint and pads and chemicals due to trial and error and practice since when I was 14-15 I used to buff car trailors full of used cars for the local auto auction

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram @rolocut

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure I would write off all detail shops in favor of a shade tree detailer myself.  I would consider myself a shade tree detailer that probably has more products then I know how to use completely, and also worked for a few years out of detail shop that my shop leased 2 bays from and the guys that did it full time knew much more then I ever will.  Those guys could see what was wrong with paint in a second, stuff I never did see.  For a good example they also had a couple of limos they rented and one of the drivers(tom) pulled up one day to show off his brand new dodge Dakota.  Pretty sharp truck, bright red, tinted windows, he was rightfully proud.  I noticed that Shawn the owner of the detail shop and Terry his manager/full timer were off to the side whispering to each other at the same time tom the driver did.  When we asked them what was up they asked him if he knew it had been repainted?  He said it had 4 miles on it when he got it what where they talking about.  Terry got into it deeper showing where there was overspray inside the wheel well and still masking tape on the bottom of it.  Turns out the car was damaged coming off the shipping truck and they did a fairly cheap spray on it and still sold it as new. 

I would ask around if they were any good.  He could be trying too take ya for a ride or your paint might be that bad.

First off don't use a detail shop. No one takes more time then someone you know or yourself. I have a feeling you didn't have the same tiny little swirl marks you'd never see outside of fluorescent lights beaming down from walls and ceilings. If you have fresh paint a wet sand in not needed unless it has maring in some spots that need addition attention or orange peel. Detail shops don't do a great job, they could just put a cheap filler polish over it then 2 car washes it has same issues.

Find a buddy or a buddy of a buddy who is good. To get something perfect going somewhere who doesn't have the same heart you do is not the way to go. I just happen to know how to work with paint and pads and chemicals due to trial and error and practice since when I was 14-15 I used to buff car trailors full of used cars for the local auto auction

Instagram @Rolocut

I am not sure I would write off all detail shops in favor of a shade tree detailer myself.  I would consider myself a shade tree detailer that probably has more products then I know how to use completely, and also worked for a few years out of detail shop that my shop leased 2 bays from and the guys that did it full time knew much more then I ever will.  Those guys could see what was wrong with paint in a second, stuff I never did see.  For a good example they also had a couple of limos they rented and one of the drivers(tom) pulled up one day to show off his brand new dodge Dakota.  Pretty sharp truck, bright red, tinted windows, he was rightfully proud.  I noticed that Shawn the owner of the detail shop and Terry his manager/full timer were off to the side whispering to each other at the same time tom the driver did.  When we asked them what was up they asked him if he knew it had been repainted?  He said it had 4 miles on it when he got it what where they talking about.  Terry got into it deeper showing where there was overspray inside the wheel well and still masking tape on the bottom of it.  Turns out the car was damaged coming off the shipping truck and they did a fairly cheap spray on it and still sold it as new. 

I would ask around if they were any good.  He could be trying too take ya for a ride or your paint might be that bad.

My buddy who is a mechanic recommended this guy. Been next door to his shop for over 10 years. The guy who owns it is in his 50's and says he has been doing it for 30 years. You still never know. My buddy also sells used (very low miles and in mint shape) cars and he has gotten this guy to detail the cars for years. I'm still not sure. Going to check out his place more.

My buddy who is a mechanic recommended this guy. Been next door to his shop for over 10 years. The guy who owns it is in his 50's and says he has been doing it for 30 years. You still never know. My buddy also sells used (very low miles and in mint shape) cars and he has gotten this guy to detail the cars for years. I'm still not sure. Going to check out his place more.

Post a picture of your paint and let us see what you see. How new is your paint?

Instagram @rolocut

More food for thought is things progress so much, wet sanding is a very old school technique which works but it's a 1000 dollar job instead of a 200 dollar job and depending on what your looking for a solid compound/ polish/ glaze/ wax formula will do the job sufficiently

Instagram @rolocut

Post a picture of your paint and let us see what you see. How new is your paint?

Instagram @Rolocut

More food for thought is things progress so much, wet sanding is a very old school technique which works but it's a 1000 dollar job instead of a 200 dollar job and depending on what your looking for a solid compound/ polish/ glaze/ wax formula will do the job sufficiently

Instagram @Rolocut

I will indeed. I have pics of the car, but not paint specific. I will take some close up shots and report back.