deceptive gt

GT vs Cobra Steering Rack????

Can somebody tell me the difference between a 2002 GT and a 03-04 Cobra Steering Rack. I am removing my entire front suspension setup and such. While at it, I was going to replace the factory rubber bushings for some poly ones. I was going to look at replacing the stock GT Steering Rack with the Cobra one. I have seen people do this, but what is the difference? The car will be used for cruises and shows.

If you're using it only for cruises and shows then the differences will be negligible. On a real cobra rack, the rack ratio is taller? (Or smaller? Someone correct me) so that lock to lock is less turns. @iRoush knows this stuff like the back of his hand

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Only difference between the GT and Terminator racks is a slightly heavier valving and steering rack limiters in the terminator rack. all 94-04 racks are 15:1 Quick Ratio Racks. The reason why the terminator needed the steering rack limiters is for the wider wheels and tires they used from stock GT's. 

Also when buying a terminator rack, make sure you're actually getting a real cobra rack. it will have SPR-ZM as the code on it.

So, no real reason to upgrade other than to keep tires from rubbing if you go wider? I am on staggered 18s, 9" front and 10" in rear.

So, no real reason to upgrade other than to keep tires from rubbing if you go wider? I am on staggered 18s, 9" front and 10" in rear.

it's a definite upgrade, like i said the valving is different so it uses less power steering assist which is a bonus for road racers or corner carvers alike.

Sorry I'm derailing a bit, but I thought the best rack for a 94-04 was from the 2000 R?

It is. but finding an original one or even an aftermarket one that doesn't cost an arm and a leg anymore is impossible. I paid $400 for mine off of corner carvers.

IMG_4473.jpg

Guess I will be picking up a Cobra Rack, even though it is being built as a cruise/show car I will not be afraid to drive it like it is built.

Guess I will be picking up a Cobra Rack, even though it is being built as a cruise/show car I will not be afraid to drive it like it is built.

used or new? be careful with the new remanufactured racks, because they say they are cobra racks but they are just rebuilt standard racks... best bet is to find a used low mileage one. And as far as driving it, the car will not be any more difficult to drive, you'll have more feedback between you and the road through the wheel mainly.

Only difference between the GT and Terminator racks is a slightly heavier valving and steering rack limiters in the terminator rack. all 94-04 racks are 15:1 Quick Ratio Racks. The reason why the terminator needed the steering rack limiters is for the wider wheels and tires they used from stock GT's. 

Also when buying a terminator rack, make sure you're actually getting a real cobra rack. it will have SPR-ZM as the code on it.

^^^this

used or new? be careful with the new remanufactured racks, because they say they are cobra racks but they are just rebuilt standard racks... best bet is to find a used low mileage one. And as far as driving it, the car will not be any more difficult to drive, you'll have more feedback between you and the road through the wheel mainly.

^^^^and this :D

03-04 Cobra racks increase steering effort by 12-15% if I remember correctly. I have one on my car and you can definitely feel the difference. the steering wheel feels firmer. I have always felt that mustangs steering system is over assisted (steering wheel feel loose)