AustunXXI

Stuck

I'm trying to replace my throw out bearing, it snapped somehow, and I'm stuck. I cant get to the two bolts on the top of the bell housing. Any tips? I'm at a loss and I know its probably something stupid but its really starting to piss me off.

Only other thing is I'm thinking about hollowing out my cats. Just wanting a little more sound until I do my irs swap.

Once the trans is out my set up usually goes socket; wobble extension; wobble extension. m that will usually put me far enough back where I won't jack up my hands when it brakes loose

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

There's only enough room for a wrench, I'm shopping for a long 13mm I can see both clear as day looking down in engine bay from the drivers side. These are the two bolts on the top of the bell housing connecting it to the block. Just in case yall aren't thinking the two from the tranny to the bell housing.

Sent from my RM-824_nam_att_101 using Tapatalk

Another tip loosen the engine mount nuts to allow the transmission to tip down. This makes accessing the nuts much easier. I used the same as above lots of long extensions and a universal joint.

One more tip there is a sheet metal bracket holding a cable in place and its attached to the same two top nuts. Go ahead and discard that bracket because it will be a bitch trying to line it all up again.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

There's only enough room for a wrench, I'm shopping for a long 13mm I can see both clear as day looking down in engine bay from the drivers side. These are the two bolts on the top of the bell housing connecting it to the block. Just in case yall aren't thinking the two from the tranny to the bell housing.

What everyone is trying to get at is going at it from underneath, not from up top.

Sent from Space

Yea you need to get at it from the bottom. And with a ton of extensions , if you can use 1/2 stuff. 3/8 might not be able to break em loose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Supporting Member

Only way from the top is to have the upper and lower intake manifold removed along with everything on the top end. Not nearly as simple.

So I replaced the throw out bearing, changed the tranny fluid, and got the car back on the road. Test drove for 112 miles no check engine light. Which is weird because I have an exhaust leak on the egr tube somewhere which was throwing a code. Now, I did only hollow out the two cats closest to the headers. Is it possible that now the downstream o2 sensors are balanced with the upstream?

Now, I did only hollow out the two cats closest to the headers. Is it possible that now the downstream o2 sensors are balanced with the upstream?

No.  The downstream O2 sensors will only tell the computer if the cats are working or not, end of story for those two, with no cats, you should be throwing a code.    The front O2 sensors will actually help to control your A/F ratio, they are BEFORE the cats, and the exhaust gas there has not been touched by the cats yet so they can get a good reading on how the motor is running.