jasonkb77

t5 compatibility questions..

So I have a 97 Mustang GT with AODE transmission.  Today my brother calls me, and has a 95 Mustang v6 with a t5 that is getting scrapped tomorrow. After looking through countless semi-related google result pages.. Im still questioning if this will be a direct bolt in.

Ive learned a ton about torque specs, and gear ratio's. But havnt found a clear answer to the compatibility. Before I drive 2 hours and spend a day stripping this donor car, on a whim that it will work.. Does anyone have experience or knowledge in this swap?

The bell housing will be different. Ideally you want a stick from a 96-98 car. It'll be a t45 and will drop right in. I can't say for sure if the t5 and t45 are the same bolt pattern. If they are, you should be able to get the trans from him and source the bell housing from somewhere else but again, like I said, I'm not sure

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys. Apparently I was asking google the wrong questions lol. Yes it would seem the bolt pattern is different requiring a new bell housing, or adapter plate. would also apparently need to switch the yoke and cross member. 

Certainly not worth the time or money at this point. I imagine my car will require a stronger transmission before the year is up anyways.

Btw- DetRiot you have one of the sexiest sn95's Ive seen. Digging the look in your sig. Seeing sn95's like yours rolling around is what forced me to jump off the fox ship :)

Thanks guys. Apparently I was asking google the wrong questions lol. Yes it would seem the bolt pattern is different requiring a new bell housing, or adapter plate. would also apparently need to switch the yoke and cross member.

Certainly not worth the time or money at this point. I imagine my car will require a stronger transmission before the year is up anyways.

Btw- DetRiot you have one of the sexiest sn95's Ive seen. Digging the look in your sig. Seeing sn95's like yours rolling around is what forced me to jump off the fox ship :)

Haha thanks man! Much appreciated! I love seeing comments like this because most people discredit the sn95s but that's because 90% of the ones you see out on the roads are clapped out v6's.

Haha thanks man! Much appreciated! I love seeing comments like this because most people discredit the sn95s but that's because 90% of the ones you see out on the roads are clapped out v6's.

. You don't even know how true this statement is around we're i live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I have a 97 Mustang GT with AODE transmission.  Today my brother calls me, and has a 95 Mustang v6 with a t5 that is getting scrapped tomorrow. After looking through countless semi-related google result pages.. Im still questioning if this will be a direct bolt in.

Ive learned a ton about torque specs, and gear ratio's. But havnt found a clear answer to the compatibility. Before I drive 2 hours and spend a day stripping this donor car, on a whim that it will work.. Does anyone have experience or knowledge in this swap?

i know you already got the answer, but just to help put your mind at ease that you passed, the t5 wont bolt up to the 4.6l without an adapter, plus I dont belive the v6 t5's were world class, which would be a weaker trans.  You could find a cheap t45 from a gt/cobra from 94-01 ish and swap that in though.  If you need pedal assemblies and stuff let me know. i have some from one of my cars.

i know you already got the answer, but just to help put your mind at ease that you passed, the t5 wont bolt up to the 4.6l without an adapter, plus I dont belive the v6 t5's were world class, which would be a weaker trans.  You could find a cheap t45 from a gt/cobra from 94-01 ish and swap that in though.  If you need pedal assemblies and stuff let me know. i have some from one of my cars.

Hey Ill keep the pedals in mind, but the trans isnt on my priority list just yet. The t5 sounded like a good opportunity and the price was certainly right.. Since it wont work out, Ill likely do a shift kit to hold me over until I NEED to upgrade.

The T-5 bolts to a modular with the quicktime bellhousing for 4.6L.  It has the bolt pattern for TKO and T-5.  You would also need a driveshaft spacer and a new crossmember setup or you might be able to get away with a 94/95 style hangar plate and turn your 96-98 trans mount around to make it work.

Easier transmission options for your car is anything out of a 96-04 GT/Mach or a 99/01 Cobra.  If you are pulling a used one... a T-45 out of a 99-01 car (most 01s had 3650s but a few early ones had T-45s) is going to be a direct bolt in and the 99-up T-45s had carbon fiber blocker rings and the reverse fix already done.  They do use OSS vs your VSS but that is a really easy conversion with a speedcal.  You can also use a 3650 but you will need a new shifter a swap crossmember and a new trans mount and also the speedcal like the 99-up T-45.  The problem with the 96-98 T-45s are the paper blocker rings and the 5-R fork is faulty.  

The T-5 bolts to a modular with the quicktime bellhousing for 4.6L. It has the bolt pattern for TKO and T-5. You would also need a driveshaft spacer and a new crossmember setup or you might be able to get away with a 94/95 style hangar plate and turn your 96-98 trans mount around to make it work.

Easier transmission options for your car is anything out of a 96-04 GT/Mach or a 99/01 Cobra. If you are pulling a used one... a T-45 out of a 99-01 car (most 01s had 3650s but a few early ones had T-45s) is going to be a direct bolt in and the 99-up T-45s had carbon fiber blocker rings and the reverse fix already done. They do use OSS vs your VSS but that is a really easy conversion with a speedcal. You can also use a 3650 but you will need a new shifter a swap crossmember and a new trans mount and also the speedcal like the 99-up T-45. The problem with the 96-98 T-45s are the paper blocker rings and the 5-R fork is faulty.

You will need to swap the tail shaft on the 99-01 t-45 if you want it to fit in the 96-98.

You will need to swap the tail shaft on the 99-01 t-45 if you want it to fit in the 96-98.

May I ask why?  If its because of the speedo, I already addressed that.  I just dropped a 3650 into my 98 and didn't swap a damn thing except the crossmember to a tubular one which you would not have to do with a T-45 case.  

May I ask why? If its because of the speedo, I already addressed that. I just dropped a 3650 into my 98 and didn't swap a damn thing except the crossmember to a tubular one which you would not have to do with a T-45 case.

Agh yea you're right, you can do that for sure. Missed it in there :)

Yeah if one has a dallas speedcal its a non issue.  If one does not then one probably should if one has any gear over a 3.27.  

To calibrate the dallas speedcal for a OSS transmission you multiply your rear tire revolutions per mile times rear gears times 12.  12 is the OSS pulse number for 99-up t-45s and 3650s, you can get your revolutions per mile from discount tire direct's size calculator.  The number you get from the equation is your OSS pulses.  Plug it in in the "current" block here and it'll spit out your dipswitch setting for the extended range speedcal.  All new or newer Dallas Speedcals are extended range.  I got mine set right on the very first try and its way way easier than messing with tailshaft swaps and then still having to install a speedcal if you want higher than a 3.27 gear.

And you would not BELIEVE how much TERRIBLE info there is out there on a 99-04 trans swap in a 96-98 car especially the 3650.  At least a T-45 is a T-45... a 3650 has a bigger tailshaft housing and requires a stiffler's crossmember which I had to discover on my own.  With that said it is also a direct swap for all intents and purposes.  New crossmember, VSS to OSS and 3650 shifter and done.  Better aftermarket for the 3650 although I'd probably install an Astrol A5 behind a quicktime bell if I was going to do a built 5 speed personally.  

edit:  Also the amount of fear and misinformation on the VSS to OSS swap out there is laughable.  Ppl seem to treat it like a black art from what I saw.  I finally found that website I linked to and I had my speedo set correctly on the very first try.  Its just math.