sethg702

WE NEED MORE POWER CAPTAIN!

Hey whats goin on guys,

its been a very long time since ive posted or asked any questions...so here it goes.  I apologize for starting ANOTHER  thread about cam/head and intake solutions for more power.  I can never find direct answers when "googling"  what I want to hear/read/  Which head and cam combo are you forced induction guys going?  (gt-40 over rated? alphabet cams ok for superchargers?)  My 5.0 already has a vortech supercharger attached to it with full exhaust.  Jba shorty headers, H-pipe, high flow cats, flows, 3.73 gears.  There is also a superchip attached to the ecu, which also needs to be dyno tuned.  :(  These mods are on a wish list so I should dyno tune when I actually install everything.  Its a second car so im in no rush.  I think the car runs fine but I was told dyno tuning is a "must" when getting into  forced induction and computer stuff.  Makes sense.  Trying to decide where to put up my saved up money...exterior and apperance or motor/tuning.  or just keep saving.  your input is appreciated!    

Welcome back bud! No worries man, everyone looks for different things in a combo so it's hard to find a tell-all answer to everything! What are your realistic expectations for the car and your budget goals for it all?

well, thinking about it last night...I want it to be reliable.  heads/cam/intake sound fun..but my fear is once I trick out the motor (even more) then I have to do everything else, trans upgrade, fly wheel, etc.  Im not trying to grenade the block either.  Ive heard it can happen with the 5.0.  I was thinking about grabbing a power pipe for the supercharger and getting everything tuned...maybe i'll see the 400hp mark on stock top end?  Doing the motor the way im talking it would be an easy 2.5 grand...tuning, installation, parts.  ugh.  lol.  Im leaning towards using that money towards making the car look better.  Cobra R theme, Carbonfiber hood, trunk lid...etc instead of heavy motor work to avoid the domino efffect of breaking things because of to much hp... 

Injectors if you haven't done so and a proper tune will really wake up the car.  You may find you don't need the HCI.

I have 30's in it already.  A shop told me they're not enough though..?  Its frustrating not finding a shop yet that I can trust or thats honest. 

I have 30's in it already.  A shop told me they're not enough though..?  Its frustrating not finding a shop yet that I can trust or thats honest. 

Injector Rating x # of injectors x Injector Duty Cycle / Brake Specific Fuel Consumption = Horsepower

http://www.witchhunter.com/injectorcalc1.php

30's will support around 360 with forced induction at 90% duty cycle. I would personally go with 42's.  Much more room to grow and a much larger safety margin. 

What fuel pump do you have?  225lph would be my choice, more than enough pump for your setup.

I don't think you'll be able to to do 400whp with a blower unless your pushing a bunch of psi. With gt-40 heads an f cam and gt40 intake you'll be able to make that mark. But, there's always a but, IMO gt40 stuff are overrated. Look into the trickflow top end kit. You'll reach your 400whp goal and some! I had AFR 185cc heads, TFS 1 cam, Holley systemax intake and with fuel issues my car made 315whp. This is also a very broad question and you'll have 100s of different question. Best thing I can say is pick out some things you want to do a lot of research on each part as to what it goes with and what not.

I made 360 whp on my old setup, stock long block:

Basically: S-trim with stock pulley's, Pro products typhoon intake, Power pipe, 2.5in exhaust, stock headers.  Close to his 400hp goal depending on drivetrain loss. (flywheel, not wheel)

I don't think you'll be able to to do 400whp with a blower unless your pushing a bunch of psi. With gt-40 heads an f cam and gt40 intake you'll be able to make that mark. But, there's always a but, IMO gt40 stuff are overrated. Look into the trickflow top end kit. You'll reach your 400whp goal and some! I had AFR 185cc heads, TFS 1 cam, Holley systemax intake and with fuel issues my car made 315whp. This is also a very broad question and you'll have 100s of different question. Best thing I can say is pick out some things you want to do a lot of research on each part as to what it goes with and what not.

ya your right...Im not sure what pulley size im running....I want to say 2.95?  Is that the diameter?  Ive only seen my boost gauge register 5-6lbs.  If/when I get my car tuned It sounds like Ill get a lot taken care of.  

ya your right...Im not sure what pulley size im running....I want to say 2.95?  Is that the diameter?  Ive only seen my boost gauge register 5-6lbs.  If/when I get my car tuned It sounds like Ill get a lot taken care of.  

3.33 is the stock blower pulley on the HO kit. With the stock Vortech crank pulley it will give 8lbs at peak...

If your running the stock Vortech stuff and seeing only 5-6 lb's peak, you may be getting belt slip.

If you find that you are really running a 2.95, you may be getting A LOT of slip. 

You need to tighten the belt with a tq wrench, 80ft lbs.  Its the only way I could keep the belt from slipping.

Ill look into it...I remember having to change out my main accessory belt a while back.  On another note, who supplies the best gas for our cars?  Cheveron? Shell?  Ive heard to stick with the main gas stations.  they're blend of gas is better for performance cars.  especially for summer.   

3.33 is the stock blower pulley on the HO kit. With the stock Vortech crank pulley it will give 8lbs at peak...

If your running the stock Vortech stuff and seeing only 5-6 lb's peak, you may be getting belt slip.

If you find that you are really running a 2.95, you may be getting A LOT of slip. 

You need to tighten the belt with a tq wrench, 80ft lbs.  Its the only way I could keep the belt from slipping.

if the 3.33 is going for 8lbs...what should I see with a 2.95?

if the 3.33 is going for 8lbs...what should I see with a 2.95?

Hard to say.  Depends on combo but Vortech's rule of thumb is roughly 1-2lb's for every step down in size.

hey guys....bringing this thread back.  I got a new computer.  Old laptop wasn't cutting it anymore.  So I had an Idea that makes a lot of sense.  Im experiencing boost lost most likely because of the weather where i'm located.  In the winter time I was getting what I should be...but in the summer time in Vegas, air isn't cold...not as dense.  And im 2500ft above sea level.  Vortech Id imagine measure everything in the best climates.