Black & Red

bullitt questions

Ok, I have the bullitt springs on my 01 GT and handling is excellent. I know the bullits used a bigger front bar and a smaller rear bar, but I think this would create a greater understeer tendency than the stock GT bars.

Thoughts???

Also, do Bullitt have shorter sway bar end links than a GT up front?

Yes,

The OEM Bullitt sway bar link was shorter...stock 99-04 is 3-9/16" OAL, but to keep the ends of the front sway bar parallel with the Bullitt springs, a 2-5/8" link is required. I pulled my springs from a documented 30,000 mile Bullitt that had been modified by Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine. The sway bar link was OEM Ford (with the goofy green bushings) and was notably shorter.

However, according to IMBOC, the links were never sold over the counter, so Ford shows only one part number fo the 99-04 with a live axle.

It lowered my car more than I expected. It doesn't look low, but I got immediate pinon snubber contact in the back after they were installed. A Maximum Motorsports progressive urethane snubber was almost identical in size to the now discontinued (and shorter) Bullitt snubber.

The replacement rear shocks for a Bullitt (Motorcraft AA606) have a 1" shorter compressed distance, which keeps the shocks off their internal stops with the 1" lower ride height.

My front tie rods angle upwards to the spindles, but I have zero bump steer, so I have no plans to change it.

My only thought now is whether or not to decrease the size of the rear bar to the V6 variant.. Handling thus far is great, but I keep thinking that a lighter rear bar might offer better balance near the car's limit.

Thoughts???

post-727-0-51595900-1421082053_thumb.jpe

what are your goals with this car? Im confused as to why you keep going after bullitt stuff instead of better equipment offered by aftermarket companies. 

^ agreed, and i dont understand the issue your having with the shocks and pinion snubber, i am a fair amount lower than you with the stock snubber and lakewoods with no issue. there are also folks on here much lower than me without issue.

I spent my lifetime hot rodding cars, growing up in the family's race car shop and driving the company's race cars. I also spent the past 4 years working for So Cal tuning firms and 90% of the aftermarket parts I have seen never seem to fit correctly, or require modifications just for a simple bolt, or make ZERO power on the dyno, despite lofty claims...and I HATE that with a passion.

So, my approach with this car is great handling, using mostly all OEM parts and doing all my own work on this 2,800 mile a month daily driver.

The Bullitt springs were recently installed, I have new OEM 3.73 gears, posi rebuild kit, C&L CARB legal elbow, BBK 70mm CARB Legal throttle body and a tuner as planned modifications. Nothing too crazy..... :rolleyes:

It's my platform for awesome body and paint work...I take it to the local race track and squirrel around the corners on weekends just for fun, but I don't race seriously... :D

As you can see from the photo, my ride height is not low, but the Bullitt did have a 1" shorter pinon snubber. When I installed my Bullitt springs, I immediately had full snubber contact over bumps. I've heard everyone talk about how they don't hit the stock snubber at 2" lowered in the rear, but I don't see how that is possible. Every article you read on lowering an SN95 they change the snubber.

Right now, as you see the car in the photo, there is only 2-3/4" axle travel with the shorter Maximum Motorposrts Progressive Urethane Snubber installed and I measured only 1-3/4" with the stock snubber.

With the stock GT Motocraft rear shocks, the ride and handling is really nice right now, but I am always looking to fine tune it a little... ;)

post-727-0-94402900-1421085033_thumb.jpe

post-727-0-70199900-1421085043_thumb.jpe

you are really proud of that snubber arnt you? lol 

from what youve replaced already, there are a ton of options far better than stock OEM bullitt parts that fit perfectly.  You already have bought that SAWEEETTT pinion snubber from MaximumMotorsports, so why not get other parts from them?  I'm not sure what youre seeing that needs to be modified to work, or what parts youre referring to than do not help over stock components, but please, do enlighten us!

• Moderators

There's a reason Ford doesn't make a lot of these parts anymore.  They all pretty much sucked.  There's also a reason that several companies have made their name making replacement suspension parts for these cars.  It's not necessarily "hot rodding" if you're placing shit-tastic OEM parts with better functioning aftermarket parts.  Is my BMW "hot rodded" because I used Bilstein dampers instead of OEM BMW parts?!

well a lot of people like to buy parts from a better model as an upgrade....however suspension parts for lowering and handling? you are def limiting yourself trying to stay ford oem even if it is from a bullitt. i've seen 2 new edge bullitts at shows (unless it was the same car different owners :P ) and the only thing that stood out to me was the intake lol. def wasn't the suspension or stance :/ not sure the difference in handling though

LOL!!!!

Most of what I end up with is super low or no cost. I paid $40.00 for the 30,000 mile Bullitt springs, pulled from a buddy's car. I just picked up a brand new OEM set of Ford 3.73 gears along with crush sleeve/nut/ring gear bolts/bearings/posi kit from another Mustang guy for $120.00. 

My experience has been that a lot of aftermarket parts, not just Mustang stuff, don't fit quite right and need some work to make them fit properly. I really can't knock Ford's engineering and I get paid to make the aftermarket stuff fit, so I just don't want to go there on my own stuff. I have gotten really lazy over the years...

you are really proud of that snubber arnt you? lol 

Yes!!!

I drive 2,800 miles a month to work and back in this car. There are some bumps on the way that were just really harsh with the stock snubber and the Gabriel Ultras. 

Now I don't spill my coffee over those bumps anymore.

I can shift, drink coffee and text, so ride comfort is important, because if I spill the coffee, then I drop the phone...

There's a reason Ford doesn't make a lot of these parts anymore.  They all pretty much sucked.  There's also a reason that several companies have made their name making replacement suspension parts for these cars.  It's not necessarily "hot rodding" if you're placing shit-tastic OEM parts with better functioning aftermarket parts.  Is my BMW "hot rodded" because I used Bilstein dampers instead of OEM BMW parts?!

I will take all the OEM stuff you don't like... :D

We did a car for a magazine in 2012. The Eibach and Hotchkiss stuff didn't fit for crap. Holes had to be drilled out, they had cheap, hardware store looking fastners, the ride sucked...it was a joke.

I can fix this sort of thing in the shop, but I cannot afford those delays on my daily driver, so I stay really close to stock!!!!

Hey, thanks for the replies, Guys...I really appreciate the feedback!!!!!

well a lot of people like to buy parts from a better model as an upgrade....however suspension parts for lowering and handling? you are def limiting yourself trying to stay ford oem even if it is from a bullitt. i've seen 2 new edge bullitts at shows (unless it was the same car different owners :P ) and the only thing that stood out to me was the intake lol. def wasn't the suspension or stance :/ not sure the difference in handling though

I have more fun with this SN95 than any other car I have owned, and that includes a lot of specialty stuff, so I want to keep the need to fabricate or make HUGE changes to a minimum...

I have more fun with this SN95 than any other car I have owned, and that includes a lot of specialty stuff, so I want to keep the need to fabricate or make HUGE changes to a minimum...

i understand that. some aftermarket parts are a pita to fit...i 100% agree. i wonder if i drove an actual bullitt if i would notice a huge difference in handling vs a 94-04 gt.

i find it hard to believe that eibach or hotchkiss made something that didn't fit right unless this car you did in 12' was a brand new model and they had not mass produced parts for it yet.   on top of that, you do realize they make a TON of different options for vehicles, so while whatever car you did rode rough, it probably cornered like a beast.  

• Moderators

Eibach only makes a couple different springs, sway bars, a set of dampers, and wheels spacers for our cars. How did any of those not fit correctly? Hotchkis on makes rear control arms and caster camber plates for our cars. How did those not fit correctly? If it were anything other than springs and sway bars, I might understand Eibachs not fitting as they are more of a European centric company, but they still have a great reputation. Hotchkis I could not fathom producing ill-fitting parts as they are a staple of the muscle car community, albeit they skew more toward older cars than the SN95.

Looks better than it did when I started on it...I think.

First pic taken before any mods in 2012

Second pic taken first day back on the road after complete paint in 2014.

Funny...I have the shorty antenna, the Mach 1 grille delete, the Bullitt gas tank door and sequential tail lights and you would think I had a brand new 2015 GT...

Those were 'fun mods' I can do in the driveway and have my 6 year old help me...silly old man... :D

post-727-0-90578400-1421088808_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-51486600-1421088835_thumb.jpe

@tony did a nice job for you photoshopping that picture.  

I really dont see much of a difference other than the red stripe and grille delete in your other two pics :-/ 

LOL!!!

Ya, a forum member did that P/S for me....

The car had original Ford black paint when I got it, but it was 100% straight and that has always bugged me. The body and paint are simply flawless. It's painted with a single toner black and a single toner red stripe in Glasurit 55 Line Solvent-Based BC/CC.

The Ford black has too much gray in it for my liking...

I'm OCD...

When I was a kid I was always messing with my cars. Huge cams, tons of compression and tried to make them look stock...

post-727-0-40843500-1421092000_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-90086500-1421092009_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-60134800-1421092031_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-75230200-1421092046_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-53712600-1421092059_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-26783800-1421092174_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-93518500-1421092174_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-31113500-1421092175.jpg

post-727-0-27979500-1421092187_thumb.jpg

post-727-0-05113900-1421092194_thumb.jpg

i understand that. some aftermarket parts are a pita to fit...i 100% agree. i wonder if i drove an actual bullitt if i would notice a huge difference in handling vs a 94-04 gt.

I drive my car everyday, 2,800 miles a month, and when I do a swap, it's small and completed right away, so I notice EVERYTHING. When I did just the Bullitt spring swap, the difference was huge in terms of dive under braking,roll and the car was much more balanced....