busta

Peep this build - anything I'm missing?

Hey y'all,

I'm looking at building my top end with budget effective parts. I know that I can probably pull a bit more power with a different top end combo but I'm looking for an easy enough bolt-on combo that I will be able to live with just the occasional street driving. The only thing I can think of not in the cart are pushrods because i'm unsure what length I'll need. Any input is GREATLY appreciated - this is my first time actually tearing into a motor short of installing a Kenne Bell which was pretty easy (and only involved removing the upper intake plenum lol).

I was thinking of the Ford Racing GT40X heads and the E-303 cam with all the accompanying gaskets and bolts. I'll likely be doing longtube headers at the same time. I believe I'll need a set of 1.6 RR's as well as different length pushrods. Is there anything else I should be replacing when doing the swap? I plan to use stock injectors, mass air and fuel pump. I'm hoping this combo with eventually having tmoss port my intake may get me to the 300rwhp range.

My other option is throwing another grand at it and buy the Trickflow top-end kit from CJ Pony Parts.

buy an adjustable pushrod tool, something like this, and then you will know the perfect length rods to order.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-9001/overview/

i have yet to really do much with a 302, but would a new timing chain set be worth while?  what about the lifters?  

buy an adjustable pushrod tool, something like this, and then you will know the perfect length rods to order.  http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tfs-9001/overview/

i have yet to really do much with a 302, but would a new timing chain set be worth while?  what about the lifters?  

Yeah I saw that in someone's installation guide. I wonder if I can find out before I start the build because I'll be using my friends shop over a weekend & need to make sure that anything that I don't have is something that I can get from a local auto parts store.

Let me start out by putting in a disclaimer, I am no expert but there's a few things I'd change if I was shooting for the 300 wheel mark. 

-You're planning on sending your cobra intake out for tmoss porting correct?

-I'd skip the gt40x and go with a afr 165 or trickflow 11r from the get go. If you're planning on keeping this motor NA, go with a smaller combustion chamber (58cc) to kick up compression some for the NA motor.

-I know people knock the letter cams but they aren't bad.

-New timing chain and lifters for sure. As far as timing chain set, go with something that has an adjustable gear way, this will allow you to fine tune while degreeing the cam. The lifters can be anything of your choosing for replacement. 

- If you don't already, a 75mm throttle body will let your motor breath

Let me start out by putting in a disclaimer, I am no expert but there's a few things I'd change if I was shooting for the 300 wheel mark. 

-You're planning on sending your cobra intake out for tmoss porting correct?

-I'd skip the gt40x and go with a afr 165 or trickflow 11r from the get go. If you're planning on keeping this motor NA, go with a smaller combustion chamber (58cc) to kick up compression some for the NA motor.

-I know people knock the letter cams but they aren't bad.

-New timing chain and lifters for sure. As far as timing chain set, go with something that has an adjustable gear way, this will allow you to fine tune while degreeing the cam. The lifters can be anything of your choosing for replacement. 

- If you don't already, a 75mm throttle body will let your motor breath

Thanks for the input!

I would get the larger combustion chamber because I may purchase a Vortech kit down the road. I see them going on the Corral classifieds all the time for fair prices.

I may or may not send out the intake to tmoss - I'm kicking around the idea of getting the TFS H/C/I complete package from CJPP. It has everything I need including the timing chain sans the lifters.

I will definitely do a larger throttle body. It actually picked me up some good power with my last KB build.

As far as headers go, if I do longtubes do I need a shorter mid-pipe like the 96-98 Cobra's or will the off-road H-pipe that I currently have do the job?

Thanks for your help so far guys.

Thanks for the input!

I would get the larger combustion chamber because I may purchase a Vortech kit down the road. I see them going on the Corral classifieds all the time for fair prices.

I may or may not send out the intake to tmoss - I'm kicking around the idea of getting the TFS H/C/I complete package from CJPP. It has everything I need including the timing chain sans the lifters.

I will definitely do a larger throttle body. It actually picked me up some good power with my last KB build.

As far as headers go, if I do longtubes do I need a shorter mid-pipe like the 96-98 Cobra's or will the off-road H-pipe that I currently have do the job?

Thanks for your help so far 

I'd still go smaller combustion chamber, I think max you'll get without changing pistons would be like 10:1 and theres no problem with boosting on that these days at all.

Honestly if you're trying to max build this 302 with off the shelf parts, go either RPM 2 or Systemax 2 Intake, a 185cc head (afr or trickflow) and I'd get a custom cam cut just to maximize the effectiveness of the build. For headers, if you do longtubes you will definitely need a new mid pipe, for our cars you're best off getting a matching set of headers to mid pipes.

i'd spend the money for the trick flow kit if you're not really familiar with building a motor.  the ford stuff won't get you to 300rwhp mark.  maybe the x heads would but it would be pushing it. 

i'd spend the money for the trick flow kit if you're not really familiar with building a motor.  the ford stuff won't get you to 300rwhp mark.  maybe the x heads would but it would be pushing it. 

That's what I've decided to do. I've done a lot of searching around and it seems most people are reaching the 310rwhp mark with the Trickflow top-end package, headers, larger TB, pump & tune.