fry

Painting a gas tank cover

The rear end of my car is the only part of it that makes me smile at this point. However, the gas tank cover is a huge eye sore! I wanna paint it, but I'm confused about a couple things. 1. what kind of paint do I use? Can I use the same paint for the straps and the cover, or do I have to use plastic paint and metal paint? I have leftover caliper paint, would that work? 2. Do I have to sand it down, like scuff it up? Can I just put it in the media blaster and use that instead? 3. Anything else I need to know about painting it?

haha seems kind of like a small detail but I want every last detail on my car to be perfect!

Is yours that bad? I just cleaned mine up with some mothers back to black and then later taped off the straps, scuffed them up with some scotchbrite, primed and painted them gloss silver. Looks great now.

photobucket-2335-1342308723195.jpg

You could probably plasti dip it, just clean it up and shoot that on there. If I was repainting it, instead of just cleaning it (I would clean it with purple power and armor all, it's how I do mine) I would sand it down with maybe 400, wipe it down with mineral spirits, let it dry, then shoot some semi-gloss black on it. The straps I'd do the same way if they actually need it. However, if I was being really adventurous I might bedline the straps for a rugged contrast, or I'd polish them, because I like doin that schtuff haha ;)

My gas tank cover is horrible!! haha Thanks for all the tips! I thought about doing the straps a silver instead of doing it all back black. I can't wait for it to look sexy like yours mavisky!

You may want to go down to 220 now that I think about it. Do what the paint can reccomends, every brand is a bit different. It's super smooth so it will need sanding before actual paint, needs something to bite in to.

It might have little barbs where rocks knock it rolling down the road, knock those down with the sand paper too :)

I did use clear cloak aswell, now 2 years later its like a clean flat black with a lil shine...

Some paints don't require clear, some do better with it. I've had some things just get cloudy with a clear, but some actually pop ha. If you try a cllear, do it in an inconspicuous area first.

I painted a mach shaker and didn't clear it before, many years later now, it still looks better than factory.

Some paints don't require clear, some do better with it. I've had some things just get cloudy with a clear, but some actually pop ha. If you try a cllear, do it in an inconspicuous area first.

I painted a mach shaker and didn't clear it before, many years later now, it still looks better than factory.

I normally never use clear with flat black, but I wanted a lil shine, but ur right, u deff don't always need it

Thanks everyone! I'm gonna try and get this done tomorrow! :) If not, maybe this weekend.

Brett, you freakin vagina. Gimme some o dat money, I want shiney stuffs :(

haha came up big time on some cash recently. should be able to knock out all the front suspension, the paint on the new hood, new side exhaust, and the sumped terminator tank. :)

I feel like someone else said that ;p

Well I just saw it in person today so kiss my butt! :P

did you paint it highlighter pink to contrast with your orange car? haha =P

So strange that you ask cause we talked about that today...

meh it takes 30 min at most to swap out the plastic cover.... jack up the car, unbolt the metal hangers that hold the tank up (ummmm would suggest having little to no fuel in the tank lol) and the tank sits inside the plastic... super easy but im sure you knew all that already

My plastic cover was in bad shape,so I just cleaned it up and spray painted it. I didn't even remove it, but it turned out pretty good.

Before

DSCN0380.jpg

After

DSCN0795.jpg

sorry to go offtopic but you rear end of you car looks perfect with the tailight bezels painted.