Tony

ordered a new wing???!!!!!?????

i ordered the xenon wing and im a little nervous about it, lol! gotta do some tweeks and some shaving on it once i get it but i think once i get my handss on it and get it to look and fit a little better i'll bee happy with it. gotta shave that lip cause i hate how it sits over the 3rd brake light. then im gonna sshave down the edges that sit on the quarter panels so it dont look so bulky! i've googled and searched for every fn wing known to man kind and its the best i could come up with for what i want! i tend to over think the fuck outta this shit so i hope it comes out cool! :)

shave off that back lip and I think you are going to make a big whole to fill. you good with glass?
already taken into consideration! yes i have fiberglassed several sub enclosures and consoles..etc! kinda wish it wasnt urethane but its cool. where thers a will there is a way, lol!

by shave do you mean cut it out and then re-do it or just cut some off? I could see maybe just thinning out that top lip and then making a smoother transition into the spoiler would work. I hope you know there is a huge difference in fiberglassing something that you will end up paiting and a sub box. ITs generally just alot, ALOT of sanding but its just not the same thing.

Since you're going to have holes to fill on the decklid why not just mold it to the trunk?

Misspelled while on the crapper via my Droid Razr

thought about that but i worry about stress cracks with down force pushing against it. if it was metal i could do it with no stress cracks but urethane to metal no real durable material will bond enough to prevent them like a good tig weld would. this wing sits kinda tall so i would imagine it will catch alot of wind, but that would be awesome looking! might dig a little deeper to see if its possible when i get the wing!!

by shave do you mean cut it out and then re-do it or just cut some off? I could see maybe just thinning out that top lip and then making a smoother transition into the spoiler would work. I hope you know there is a huge difference in fiberglassing something that you will end up paiting and a sub box. ITs generally just alot, ALOT of sanding but its just not the same thing.
i have always finished glassing ready for paint. never have upholstered any sub boxes or consoles, well except for these i have in my trunk now. and you are 100% correct! sanding sanding and then when your done sanding. start sanding some more, lol!!

the only pics i have of fiberglass shit that i've done. the console had cup holders, cd holders and coin holders i think? wrapped it with some fleece, resin, bondo, filler primer and oh yea...SANDING, lol! my sub boxes were painted black at one point...did the same thing with fleece, resin and bondo. the only pics of them are just some during the process, lol!

l13-2-1-1.jpg

111214_133832-1-1.jpg

120607_082012-1-1.jpg

thought about that but i worry about stress cracks with down force pushing against it. if it was metal i could do it with no stress cracks but urethane to metal no real durable material will bond enough to prevent them like a good tig weld would. this wing sits kinda tall so i would imagine it will catch alot of wind, but that would be awesome looking! might dig a little deeper to see if its possible when i get the wing!!

I think if you use a good adhesive to hold the wing stable and then blend it into the trunk with fiber glass you should be just fine. I think a lot of people over estimate the amount of forces generated by a wing like this on a car like ours.

I think if you use a good adhesive to hold the wing stable and then blend it into the trunk with fiber glass you should be just fine. I think a lot of people over estimate the amount of forces generated by a wing like this on a car like ours.

you might be right. besides the wind sheild its the only thing that will catch wind on a vert...so ??? the wing i have now i noticed when i took it off the 2 front holes were actually bent up a little which is why i thought it might catch too much air to mold in. but they do make some strong adhesives that could hold it pretty snug so no flexing. good point!

you might be right. besides the wind sheild its the only thing that will catch wind on a vert...so ??? the wing i have now i noticed when i took it off the 2 front holes were actually bent up a little which is why i thought it might catch too much air to mold in. but they do make some strong adhesives that could hold it pretty snug so no flexing. good point!

FWIW, this and the v6 sport wing are both only held on with 3m tape. Just throw a good amount of that on it and then mold it to the decklid! should hold up as long as you need it too!

FWIW, this and the v6 sport wing are both only held on with 3m tape. Just throw a good amount of that on it and then mold it to the decklid! should hold up as long as you need it too!
yea no shit! wtf is up with that! 3m tape is no joke but doesnt seem good enough to ever hold a spoiler on, lol! i already plan to put some holes in iit and epoxy some threaded sleeves. not going to fuck with some double sided tape, lol!

ohhhh dear god there are far too many epoxies that would do a 10X better job then anything 3m tape makes and then you would be sure to not end up in a vid like that vid with the wing falling off.

Thats what i was thinking. Rough up the surface at the contact points with some really coarse sandpaper and epoxy the shit out of that wing. Bad news is it would be near impossible to get off at that point without grinding it off.

I'm sure if someone would have said I am going to put 20s and a body kit on my car everyone would hate it, yet you did it and it looks good. If you think it will look good, it most likely will.
thanks clark! means alot dude! i think cause i built the car without checking out forums first so i just ran with certian things i thought looked good rather then forums would consider what looks good, lol! im a big wheel guy and i agree somewhat about wheels can look retarded big but i'll never agree that mine look like that, lol!

NEVER!!!!!!!!

Thats what i was thinking. Rough up the surface at the contact points with some really coarse sandpaper and epoxy the shit out of that wing. Bad news is it would be near impossible to get off at that point without grinding it off.

well if he's gonna mold it to the trunk, he doesnt have to worry about that!

ohhhh dear god there are far too many epoxies that would do a 10X better job then anything 3m tape makes and then you would be sure to not end up in a vid like that vid with the wing falling off.
thats why i'm not using the 3m tape, lol!

i'm interested to see how this comes out for sure.
lol, me too!

this is something that wont happen till it starts getting ugly outside. dont wanna have the trunk in the shop this summer. still have the 351 wing on for now. but when i get the wing im gonna start tweeking it asap!

if its a true xenon wing it will be urethane.
yup! its urethane. thats good and bad in my case but its cool. i can work with it as long as its light weight and somewhat thick urethane.

It is thick. Highly flexible too

Sent by smoke signals

cool! did yours come pretty straight and ready or was it kinda fd up? just wondering how good of quality since the price is so cheap.