OLD H2S

My Next Idea

Some background, I have a set of S197 3V heads left over from my race motor build because I used a set of truck 5.4 heads in that build. How long will the 5.4 heads last? I will let you know, I ported them to the moon and they could be thin. Can I use 3V cams with 4.6 cam gears, put in cam sensors in the front of the heads to read the 4.6 cam gears and skip all the VCT drama and required PCM and wiring changes...

23 hours ago, OLD H2S said:

Some background, I have a set of S197 3V heads left over from my race motor build because I used a set of truck 5.4 heads in that build. How long will the 5.4 heads last? I will let you know, I ported them to the moon and they could be thin. Can I use 3V cams with 4.6 cam gears, put in cam sensors in the front of the heads to read the 4.6 cam gears and skip all the VCT drama and required PCM and wiring changes...

Do you mean 2V cam gears? I doubt it, but I can't say anything definitive. I've never spent much time looking into 3v specific stuff.

6 hours ago, RassCar said:

You might check with a modular guru like Todd Warren, aka NASVT.

*Todd isn't on this forum, as far as I'm aware. The best place to reach him is probably Facebook.

Oh my gosh, get him here please....itll be so much fun!

We will then.....expose this.... "guru"

On 6/12/2017 at 8:43 PM, OLD H2S said:

We can machine it! Your smarts around tools will come up something!

Sorry gang.....I'm too old to do Facebook.

Making up a custom sensor bung and welding it in place is not hard.

Most of the aftermarket cams require pinning or a spider that reduces the VCT arc to run the higher lift without hitting the pistons so running a smallish cams for good low end would work.

Flame on...

I took some pictures to ask some more questions... The 2V cam gears will not fit on a 3V cam, no way no how. They are machined completely different to run the cam phasers with internal oil pressure passages that turn the cam gear up to 60 degreese to the cam at any one time. I removed the number 1 cam bearing cap to look at the flange at the front of the cam because it has big notches cut into it for some reason ?  It has no operational use I can see... no sensor to read the notch cut outs, BUT if you look at the pic closely you can see a little .010 cut line to feed oil to the flange, why? 

IMG_1319-D.jpgNext is the front of the cam phaser with 5 points sticking out for the cam location sensor to read. I think I only need 1 for the 2V PCM to read cam location so which 4 do I cut off? 

IMG_1320-D.jpgThis could end up being an easy to swap 3V heads to a 2V engine without the harness change and 3V PCM if it comes down to cutting off 4 sensor bosses and pinning the phaser still. Why go through all this? FLOW, the 3V head is cheap, plentiful to find, easy to port to 4V numbers, the ports are straight cut to the valves, many less parts than a 4V and a much narrower install than the 32 valve heads, great cam selection to choose from.

Paging Bullet Cams..Mr. Cam pick up the white courtesy phone. I have a question in the Comp Cams tech section about what the 5 pins do on the pick up sensor. Still waiting for a replay. Got some weather heading your way..

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, OLD H2S said:

Paging Bullet Cams..Mr. Cam pick up the white courtesy phone. I have a question in the Comp Cams tech section about what the 5 pins do on the pick up sensor. Still waiting for a replay. Got some weather heading your way..

We've been getting rain every day for the past 3 weeks. Supposed to be getting the brunt of it today I believe. Kind of expected it though, we havent had a good hurricane in a few years.

Keep us updated on what comp tells you, Im kind of curious myself.