smallblocksn95

351w swap hints and tricks?

im planning a 351W (427 stroker) swap in the next year and have been gathering the parts. So far i have gotten the FRPP oil pan kit, and a 95 Lightning lower intake thats been fox lake ported. ive also been building the car up to this swap, with a stifflers fit system, FRPP strut tower brace, and Cobra brakes. Items that will stay with the car after the swap are, the SVO Motorsports upper intake, C&L cold air intake and 76 MAF housing, off road H, and magnaflow Magnapak cat back, underdrive pullies, A/C, and P/S.

The engine is.....................

CHP 427 Longblock

4.170 stroke

4.030 bore

9.5 compression ratio

AFR 205 heads with 58cc chambers

Comp Cams "xtreme fuel injected" hyd. roller

.579 lift (int & exh)

236int and 248exh duration

114 degree lobe seperation

Trans will be a T56 Magnum

rearend will keep my 3.55 gears but with a 31 spline axle and differential swap, and rear cover/brace

Now i guess to the point lol. Im not sure about a couple things, like fuel, and tuning, and just general small things people dont mention.

I was planning on a stealth 340 pump and 42lb injectors and maybe hi flow rails. I cant decide if i want to run a 95 Bronco distributor or an MSD unit. Im nou sure about tuning either as far as which company/ product to use, but whatever it is i have to able to turn off EGR.

Mine has no EGR at all but any dyno tune software should be able to turn it off such as SCT or Moates. Unless your going to run boost or a wet kit you will not need that much into the fuel system, if your building for future upgrades that's fine but if your going to leave it as is you can get cheaper parts that will give you what you need. I have a walboro 255lph pump in mine that was there b/c of Vortech that was on it before and I run #36lb injectors but probably could have gotten away with #30's which I had at the time but upgraded due to future plans now I'm waiting for a dyno tune so hopefully the #36's will not be maxed out but I do not expect them to be. Run any Ford 351W distributor, you can even get one from the lighting they are all the same. I'll go with Ford units any day of the week over that junk from MSD. I think mine is still a reman dizzy that was dropped into mine but I have a spare OEM Ford Distributor that I picked up from Paul on here awhile ago.

Your only other issue you may run into is hood clearance, unless you are using drop mounts it probably will not fit under the hood even with the SVO intake. I have a 3.5" rise R hood with an edelbrock Victor 5.8 intake and it still hit the bracing that runs along the back of the hood. The TFSR for a 351 fit fine though.

I went with a Team Z k member and strange coil overs. If you do use strange struts you will need the Team Z CC Plates or they will be noisy, it is with my Maximum Motorsport plates. Right now I have the stock mounts but I would like to get something else later on.

I'm not to sure about that, I have only briefly looked at mounts so far. But unless your running a taller intake I would not worry about drop mounts. The TFSR was really talll but flat on top so it cleared, its just the very rear corner of my Victor EFI that hits the cross bracing so I just put a notch in it.

I only see it on the low mile, stock ones

This is the de-gas bottle. It is required because the 351 sits higher in the engine bay than the radiator. If you filled the radiator from the cap on the top of the radiator gas would get trapped in the engine and cause it to overheat. On the "R" you fill the radiator from the de-gas bottle to prevent this from happening.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/latemodelresto/3130495323/

Edited by smallblocksn95

Mines not completed yet but I'll throw out a few things. My motor came from Ford setup for v-belt not serpentine so the timing chain cover and water pump had to be changed to the same "low-profile" one off the '94-'95 cars. So, depending on what's included with the CHP package you you may need to change that out. Supposedly 351 Swap Fox body headers were the way to go but I've just discovered that they don't fit as well as others claimed.

Edit: was just informed from a friend of mine that the fox body swap headers will work if you change out the bell housing to the fox bell housing. I'm going to try this out when I get back from vacation so I'll keep the people updated.

Edited by Steve-Oh

I had a 422 ci stroker motor in my car, and a 418 and 351 before that.

First off, dump that intake. It's useless. You will not make the power you want with it. Get a TFS-R or a Victor 5.8 or similiar. Remember, this is going on a motor 40% larger than a 302. Performance parts that are okay for 302s (the lightning intake is just a 302 part that fits a 351) but they suck on 351s.

I'd get a custom, or larger cam. 30# or 36# injectors are plenty, but the 42s are of course cheaper. The tune will take care of it regardless. Buy a Ford distributor, not the MSD junk. Dump the small MAF and TB. I can't emphasize this enough... 302 parts make 302 power. Big motors need big parts. You don't need high-flow rails in an N/A combination - your stock ones are more than adequate. A 255 lph pump is fine for N/A. If you're staying N/A, I'd up the compression to 10:1 or 10.5:1 for a pump gas motor. HP makes drop solid motor mounts which may cause oil pan to k-member clearance issues depending on the pan. Make sure your valvetrain supports the intended RPM range of your camshaft. Accufab makes big-tube swap headers, or you can go custom.

If you don't want to do all this and spend all the money, take some good advice from guys like me and venom who have been there and done that and incinerated huge amounts of money... just drop in a 347 shortblock and call it good. Save yourself the windsor swap headache. Or better yet, just bolt heads/cam/intake and a blower on the car and make the same power with less headache.

My .02

Paul.

I had a 422 ci stroker motor in my car, and a 418 and 351 before that.

If you don't want to do all this and spend all the money, take some good advice from guys like me and venom who have been there and done that and incinerated huge amounts of money... just drop in a 347 shortblock and call it good. Save yourself the windsor swap headache. Or better yet, just bolt heads/cam/intake and a blower on the car and make the same power with less headache.

My .02

Paul.

+1. Add up everything you can possibly think of and add $2K. If you don't have the cash to do it right you are better off with a good 302 block build.

Kurt

There's a turbo in its future, so this isn't the final set up.....is a 75mm throttle body really too small? I would prefer to use a ford distributer, And iirc one for a late model bronco with remote TFI is what I need. Like I said, I wasn't sure about the fuel system so thanks for the advise. On the otherside of things, a 9.5 deck block WILL go in this car. I don't want to be like every other fox or SN in my area with a stroker 302. I'm probably never gonna own my own 95R, so I'll build my own. But again, thanks for the advise paul

The one thing I cant stress enough is deciding exactly what you want and taking that route. Consider all your options, consider all the finical costs. The one that that sucks more then anything is buying parts twice.

That's why I'm trying to pick things that will work with both.....injectors and and intake I can deal with buying twice. As far as headers , I'm not sure if I'll get rid of them when I go turbo or just flip them around and reuse them

Tips and issues associated with 351w swaps would be a nice sticky in the pushrod sections, I'm currently in the process of building a turbo 357w, most of it is done but I'm missing a car to put it all in lol

How about we both take plenty of pics during our swaps and have a real comprehensive thread?

sweet. What did you do with the fuel rails? did you go aftermarket or extend your 302 ones?

Nice find for $250. For n/a your factory 302 rails should flow plenty and what do you mean by "extend your 302 ones"? They should fit normally unless I'm missing something.

Nice find for $250. For n/a your factory 302 rails should flow plenty and what do you mean by "extend your 302 ones"? They should fit normally unless I'm missing something.

the 302 rails are too narrow .......a 351's are farther apart because the intake is wider. Some people just cut the crossovers in the middle and use high pressure hose and clamps to extend them. to me, personally, that screams fire hazard but to each their own

the 302 rails are too narrow .......a 351's are farther apart because the intake is wider. Some people just cut the crossovers in the middle and use high pressure hose and clamps to extend them. to me, personally, that screams fire hazard but to each their own

Oh wow yeah that makes sense. I didn't use the factory rails so I didn't have to address that issue but agree that cutting and extending them seems like a hazard waiting to happen. For what it's worth I used Aeromotive rails.