Coupe_5ohh

how do you wire up your fan on a manual switch?

i have a 95 gt and i was just reading the other thread labled "ccrm" and noticed i had the exact same problem...my fan only kicks on to the low speed and not high speed...i also unplugged the temp sensor and my high speed kicked on for the first time in who knows how long...and i read that Det_Riot put his fan on a manual switch...does anybody have a write up on this? can some one make one? id like to put my fans high setting on a manual switch...im not good with electrical so if it could be kept as simple as possible that would be awesomethanks guys

There are in the 100-175 price range. But you will need your old one for the part number which is very important. They made a few different designs so having that number will save you time and the headache of having to deal with other issues :)

Pull one from a junkyard or do a WTB add. If you want to know how to do it, look at the plug that connects to the CCRM. There should be a purple wire with a green stripe or vice versa (sorry my memory fails me). Cut a bit of insulation off the wire and solder or find a way to get a good connection to what will be a new ground wire. You run this new wire to the inside of the car, hook it up to a toggle switch, and connect another wire to the other connection on the switch. This new wire you you'll need a good ground to attach to. toggle the switch on and this should ground the CCRM wire and turn your high speed fan on. Not much to it. Hopefully I was clear enough, if not then a quick google search will probably get you a how to with pictures or illustrations

Pull one from a junkyard or do a WTB add. If you want to know how to do it, look at the plug that connects to the CCRM. There should be a purple wire with a green stripe or vice versa (sorry my memory fails me). Cut a bit of insulation off the wire and solder or find a way to get a good connection to what will be a new ground wire. You run this new wire to the inside of the car, hook it up to a toggle switch, and connect another wire to the other connection on the switch. This new wire you you'll need a good ground to attach to. toggle the switch on and this should ground the CCRM wire and turn your high speed fan on. Not much to it. Hopefully I was clear enough, if not then a quick google search will probably get you a how to with pictures or illustrations

yup i found one thanks!

http://mechdb.com/index.php/Ford_Mustang_SN95_manual_cooling_fan_switch

The best way is to run it off of a heavy duty prewired relay. You can use the switch to just supply the ground circuit or the switching power circuit. Either way. You just don't want to run the fan power directly through a switch. The relay is safe and easy to do. 4 wire relay.

Yeah it really helps if you can find a prewired one also. There was a great one from GM when I was at the dealerships. Some type of starter recall on the cavaliers a few years back. It was perfect.

Just checked and see amazon sells the connectors for about $3. Just need a relay.

Edited by Alscobra

I posted instruction earlier on how to wire the relay just not sure where they went....

look on the bottom of the relay and you will see numbers next to the pins. connect one side of you switch to ground, and then the other side to either pin 85 or 86 doesn't matter which one. connect the other pin, to a +12v(switched or ignition would mean the fan would turn off with the key still). Now connect pin 30 to your wire in your hrns, and then connect pin 87 to ground and yer done. With this option like I said the fan will still turn off with the key no matter what the switch is set too and save your battery.

Get a 3-way toggle switch hook up the wire from Pin 14 to one terminal, Pin 17 to the other, and a good ground.

so lemme make sure i have the right idea slpice into #14 wire(low speed) and #17 wire(high speed) and make a good ground and run them into a switch? so on the switch ill have a low/high/off setting?

This sounds like a nightmare just buy a new CCRM and call it a day. Hook this up hook that up blah blah blah. Man by the time your done spending all that time and the money for wire, relay, switch etc you could have bought a new CCRM and fans work lol don't short cut your vehicle bud. Keep things the was they are. Ford didn't hire engineers for no reason :) this is just my opinion. Don't mean to offend, just sounds crazy to me.

man you make it out to be rocket surgury when in reality I told him what pins to hook up the what wires correctly. Break it down do one wire at a time and it shouldn't take as much time as you think. we are talking about 8-10 connections needed to be made.