Jeremy95GT

95 Mustang Timing/Running issues

I need some help. Recently i bought a 306 short block from Fox Lake and in my garage i assemble the top half and then put it in my car. Well today/tonight My buddy and I decided to crank it up for the first time. Granted, i realize the 95 has a crazy computer that doesnt like other than stock cams and so on well, we started to have alot of trouble with the timing. First we could not get it below 30 degrees with the spout out. I know it should be 10-14* with it out but anything below 30 and it would just cut off basically, wouldnt run worth a shit.

Next, we found out that the dizzy was a tooth off so we fixed that, tried timing again, and with the spout out currently its around 15-17, anything below that and it wont run, so we put the spout in and it does its thing, I took the car around the block and it has NO power, i mean it just runs really rough and acts like its down cylinders. Once i get the car passed 3 grand it will kinda smooth out a little.

Any Clues? I need some help fellas... lol

I need some help. Recently i bought a 306 short block from Fox Lake and in my garage i assemble the top half and then put it in my car. Well today/tonight My buddy and I decided to crank it up for the first time. Granted, i realize the 95 has a crazy computer that doesnt like other than stock cams and so on well, we started to have alot of trouble with the timing. First we could not get it below 30 degrees with the spout out. I know it should be 10-14* with it out but anything below 30 and it would just cut off basically, wouldnt run worth a shit.

Next, we found out that the dizzy was a tooth off so we fixed that, tried timing again, and with the spout out currently its around 15-17, anything below that and it wont run, so we put the spout in and it does its thing, I took the car around the block and it has NO power, i mean it just runs really rough and acts like its down cylinders. Once i get the car passed 3 grand it will kinda smooth out a little.

Any Clues? I need some help fellas... lol

More info on the motor please ...cam, injectors, ect ect. Who set up the valve train and with what procedure? Did you start by doing a base idle reset? Your not giving enough info.

my bad opal let me explain a little better. where to start lol.

its a 306 short block from fox lake, with a TFs Stage 1 cam, X303 heads with 1.6 pedestal mount rr, 24# injectors When i put the roller rockers on, i went to the ford racing website and followed the instructions from the website for installing them. which was

Hand tighten the bolts to 0 lash, then torque to 18-20 foot pounds. Check, did that.

Now im not expierenced like many people so what exactly is a base idle reset. We got the distributer in, and could not get it to less than 30* with the spout out without it cutting off. Then we realized that we were a tooth off and fixed that, now with the spout out we could get it to around 16-20*. The car runs, barely tho, no power, and sounds like its missing. im pretty sure its not 180* out. I went and looked at my old motor that was in time perfectly and i checked out the balancer to make sure my new balancer on the new motor is in fact good, and everything checks out. put both motors at TDC and checked the alignment of the balancer like bolt locations etc. and everything checks out. just kinda stuck right now.

if you need more info just let me know.

For starters there is more to adjusting rockers than going to zero lash and then torquing to spec. Follow these steps http://sbftech.com/index.php?topic=318.0;wap2

Drop the dizzy in at 10-14*

Once you have verified that your valvetrain is correct procede to base idle reset http://www.my5oh.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1078

You may have to bump the idle up to get it to stay running . Post back your findings and we can go from there