itsblown93

E85 and Nitrous?

e85 is horrible crap, your car drinks e85 like an 4 mpg diesel truck.

besides, yo would have to replace yourinjectors,lines, and IIRC pump/tank to run it..

have you run e85 before? I see 20mpg on a regular basis and still DD my car on e85. The only time I suck gas down is when I beat on it repeatedly, I've gotten as low as 8mpg, but I really have to be thrashing it to get that bad.

only changes are injectors and pump. Fuel lines are all fine.

my mom can use e85 in her car and she went from 23MPG to 11 MPG. she has 25 gallon tank, and 2 cylinders less, and she had to refill more often then I did, then had NO issues when she went back to gas.

E85 likes a lot of compression compared to 87 octane, either that or you have to advance the crap out of the timing. kind of like when I go to the track and run 110 octane. If it is tuned to run E85 the mileage usually does not suffer too badly. If it is an E85 vehicle the computer will be set up to advance the timing when running E85 and will back it of when running E10 like a normal vehicle

nascar runs E85 now, but they also run 11:1 compression. I know on a carburated 350 you need to go up to a 1000cfm carb to run E85 so you would definately need bigger injectors

Matt

From what I've read it takes twice the amount of ethanol relative to gas. E85 and nitrous is about the best combo I can imagine to perfect detonation. Ethanol is also highly corrosive to rubber and I'm guessing steel which is why flex fuel cars have different fuel systems.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk 2

my mom can use e85 in her car and she went from 23MPG to 11 MPG. she has 25 gallon tank, and 2 cylinders less, and she had to refill more often then I did, then had NO issues when she went back to gas.

that's a flex fuel based vehicle. it can run e85 but doesn't use it to its full potential like a high compression engine...

Edited by iRoush

From what I've read it takes twice the amount of ethanol relative to gas. E85 and nitrous is about the best combo I can imagine to perfect detonation. Ethanol is also highly corrosive to rubber and I'm guessing steel which is why flex fuel cars have different fuel systems.

Sent from my Samsung Note using Tapatalk 2

e85 only used 20% consumption at WOT. not 50%.

ethanol being corrosive is true but so is gasoline. e85 is not any more corrosive than gasoline either so it's a myth that it'll ruin any of the fuel components.

e85 only used 20% consumption at WOT. not 50%.

ethanol being corrosive is true but so is gasoline. e85 is not any more corrosive than gasoline either so it's a myth that it'll ruin any of the fuel components.

what about any water (humidity,condensation, and such) it may collect while sitting for a period of time which is highly corrosive.

what about any water (humidity,condensation, and such) it may collect while sitting for a period of time which is highly corrosive.

Just like any fuel it will go through some phase of corrosiveness. Where gasoline gums up, e85 will rust out. if you let the car sit that long without emptying the tank on any car you're going to have issues.

Just like any fuel it will go through some phase of corrosiveness. Where gasoline gums up, e85 will rust out. if you let the car sit that long without emptying the tank on any car you're going to have issues.

a car that sits for a while is understandable on both forms of fuel, just wondering the time table you would have?? basically a daily driver versus a weekend warrior?

a car that sits for a while is understandable on both forms of fuel, just wondering the time table you would have?? basically a daily driver versus a weekend warrior?

I'm daily driving it, I think if it's driven every couple of months itd be fine. We have vented gas tanks and Evap lines on our fuel systems for this reason. Our fuel systems are much more capable than the old tanks of carbureted engines.

good info, highly considering the switch to take advantage of my 11:1.

you'll love it. cheaper prices, amazing smell (smells like moonshine), 10-15 degree cooler engine temps, and 105 octane with mounds of timing to throw at it :)