Brian

Refinishing Wheels Question

As some of you might know, I have a set of gloss black Saleen wheels (18x9 / 18x10) which basically aren't going anywhere anytime soon. I have thought about having them refinished but was wondering if they can be refinished in the "polished" finish? I looked into having them refinished in Chrome and the price was more than what I'd pay for brand new wheels with brand new tires so that's just not an option.

Apologize in advance for the lack of knowledge in this department.

Brian

I think the can I'll post a link to a place that does it later. Least I think they do it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tap-Dat-Ass.

This is the company that is doing my parts right now http://boneheadperformance.com/color-charts/. If you scroll down they have a "Single Stage Reflective Chrome" color that might be what you're looking for. I'm sure other companies that do a lot of powdercoating in your area would be able to do something similar if not the same. According to their price list it's about $86 per wheel which isn't too bad.

Oo gotcha. At what I'm sure you're wanting to spend if not Powdercoating then id sell them and get polished ones. You won't find yourself needing to touch them up every other minute with Powdercoating

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Honestly if you can sell them for $400+ I would do it and buy the ones you posted.

If you try the DIY route and don't get it right, you'll hate them and won't be able to unload them.

Sell for $400+ and save the $80-90 cost of having the pro do it. Those CJPP wheels will be like what/ $650 shipped? You're ahead of the game and get 4 awesome shiny new wheels with next to no effort put in.

Yeah. Now it's just getting the guy who wanted to buy them to text me back. He was blowing up my phone and I told him I'd let him know because I was in the middle of researching. Think he got mad.

I'd end up buying wheels & tires from CJPP if they could get me a 305 for the rear. Either way you're right.

Depending on how hardcore of a DIY perfectionist you are adds to it..

I've done DIY projects that came out awesome like a P&P Plenum w/ high temp paint.

Then I did one like headlight resto and they're in a box and I bought a new set and ended the nightmare of time wasting.

I'd say I'm 75% with DIY projects when I see the results. If it doesn't end up store bought I dump it. But it's the 25% you hate that cost you.

Reviving old thread.

I think I am going to just strip them and paint them silver since they aren't selling and I don't feel like going through the hassles of shipping, etc. I am able to do the work myself so that should save some money. Just got done pricing tires which came out around $1,000 for Continential DWs.

Those are my choice of tire to run if anyone asks, "Why don't you run this tire instead?" etc.

Any recommendations / suggestions are accepted although I kind of have an idea of what I'm going to do.

Closed my FS thread.

When you go to strip the paint, pick up some aircraft stripper. It's nasty stuff, but it will eat right through the old black paint like its nothing. You can get it from advance, vato zone, etc etc. just get a bigger metal container to put your wheels in, then brush it on where you want the paint to come off, wit 10-15 minutes, then go at it with a credit card or something, just make sure to wear gloves because that shit will burn yo ugooood.

I have had some encounters with airplain stripper. It was poured all over my '96 by some d-bag. That's what I planned to use.

You basically typed out the process I was going to do, haha. Luckily my younger brother worked in a body shop for a while so I have him at my disposal for guidance / painting / teaching.

I dont think you understand how much work you are in for if you want to strip and hand polish those wheels lol

I would sell the other ones and buy the polishes ones IMO.

You're gonna end up spending a month on them as well as a decent amount of $$$ on 10 different grits of sandpaper, stripper, and good metal polish aint cheap.

Even after all of that, you may not even be happy with the finish you get by hand AND that uncoated polished finish will turn to shit so fast you wont even believe it.

I dont think you understand how much work you are in for if you want to strip and hand polish those wheels lol

I would sell the other ones and buy the polishes ones IMO.

You're gonna end up spending a month on them as well as a decent amount of $$$ on 10 different grits of sandpaper, stripper, and good metal polish aint cheap.

Even after all of that, you may not even be happy with the finish you get by hand AND that uncoated polished finish will turn to shit so fast you wont even believe it.

He's not polishing them. He's stripping them and painting them silver