OnyxCobra

Aluminum Driveshaft Question

I'm throwing around the idea of picking one up if I can find a deal on one, what kind of power are they good for? I've heard they aren't as strong as the stock ones and I've also heard they are stronger, does anyone know the real answer?

I've also heard that they are stronger. Don't strictly dedicated track cars run them?

I bought one brand new; haven't put it in yet though. Been sitting there for a month. Not much of a noticeable gain from them though, if that's what you are looking for.

Less rotational mass is always better, but from experience I have seen nothing more then a E brake cable bracket rubbing the aluminum driveshaft and it cut it in half after some time.Im at the junk yard quite often and see driveshafts laying on the ground here and there and the aluminum shafts are always bent,twisted or broken vs. the steel shafts that are not bent etc etc. I have no interest in a aluminum driveshaft. Unless I find further information that proves them to be any better then the steel shaft... Just my .02

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

I didn't know anyone didn't run an aluminum driveshaft. I think the strength is about the same. The motorsport advertises a higher torque capacity, but I think that is only because it comes with better U-joints. If you put stronger U-joints in your stock driveshaft, it will hold about the same.

Kurt

I think it has more to do with the quality of the driveshaft then the material. I've seen those huge aluminum driveshafts on Suburbans bend all the time. I've never heard of a Motorsport drive shaft bending unless someone was putting some serious wheel lifting torque to it.

Kurt

Less rotational mass is always better, but from experience I have seen nothing more then a E brake cable bracket rubbing the aluminum driveshaft and it cut it in half after some time.Im at the junk yard quite often and see driveshafts laying on the ground here and there and the aluminum shafts are always bent,twisted or broken vs. the steel shafts that are not bent etc etc. I have no interest in a aluminum driveshaft. Unless I find further information that proves them to be any better then the steel shaft... Just my .02

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

How do you move cars around in a junk yard?

With a big ass forklift.

Uncle Sanchez gets finished with his tequila and goes out and moves cars around. You think he cares one bit if he messes up the driveshaft whilst moving cars around? ;p

well yeah of course the engine isn't making more power but you should be putting more power to the tires which is a power increase.

it's negligible on the dyno. you may see 1-2% increase in power if at all, even that is a stretch.

you said the weight savings is good for your setup and then you said it's negligible, i'm confused.

rotational weight savings. allows the engine to spin easier/quicker, not necessarily make more power.

You get more power to the wheels where it counts. Like I said, most people do it because the aluminum driveshaft is stronger, not for power, because the power difference isn't that great. It's also a little more flexible, although no where near as flexible as a carbon fiber driveshaft.

Kurt

It won't give you any power. However, it will free up a few ponies due to less rotating mass and weight savings. Think of it like switching to an electric fan, its not producing more power for you its just freeing up a few ponies. Its nothing that you are going to feel powerwise. It will make your car more enjoyable as it will clear up any vibrations in the rear due to a gear install. It may feel a bit peppier revs wise but it may also be a placebo lol. Find out :)

The only thing I "feel" when swapping to an aluminum driveshaft, is WAY less vibration compared to the stock steel unit. The lighter aluminum is stronger and weighs less, so it causes less harmonic distortion in the driveline. Most folks, when they feel that smoothness, think they gained a lot of power.

The only thing I "feel" when swapping to an aluminum driveshaft, is WAY less vibration compared to the stock steel unit. The lighter aluminum is stronger and weighs less, so it causes less harmonic distortion in the driveline. Most folks, when they feel that smoothness, think they gained a lot of power.

^^ This.

I have an aluminum one on the Roush. If I hadn't seen it under the car, I wouldn't have known it was there.

^^ This.

I have an aluminum one on the Roush. If I hadn't seen it under the car, I wouldn't have known it was there.

that is interesting that you can tell the difference in the vibrations between a stock/Al drive shaft since you never had a stock one in the car since you owned it?

My Fox always had some vibration problems at 60+ then it started to get really bad. I had two different sets of wheels/tires on the car too and the vibration was always there. I bought an FRPP alum d/s and it totally fixed the vibration issue. I bought the correct yoke and swapped it on my Saleen. I noticed no difference in on the Saleen but it was already smooth.

LilRoush may have had cars with both types of drive shafts but I don't really think that even matters. I mean you can drive two cars that are the "same" and they can have a different feel so the only way to really tell a difference would be a before and after on the same car. Back to back dyno numbers would be cool as well.

Scott I'm not sure a group buy would really be worth it, new they're like $380 but I've found at least five on craigslist between $150-200.

Edited by OnyxCobra

It wasn't a Roush thing. I had the stock unit on my 2000, and swapped it. Also swapped them on my last two fox bodies.

when i said Roush I meant you, LilRoush, not the company. my bad for not clarifying. edited.

Edited by OnyxCobra