Tony

coolant reservoir relocating????

i have been on a hunt trying to find solid info on doing this, but turned up very little info on our cars. i just kinda want to get a smaller tank and hide it. not really wanting some kit or anything. anyone know what all is involved with relocating the coolant reservoir and hiding it?

thats 100% the only reason, lol. i've already relocated the battery to the trunk...still have a couple things to do there. was gonna get the aluminum coolant tank but decided to try this instead. just cant find much about doing it on our cars.

There is a ton of info out there if you look hard enough, Hoogle might help. Moroso sells a inline coolant fill setup with nipple for a smaller hose to run to a over flow tank that you could hide. I did it on my old 5.4 car and it seemed to work fine for me.

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

lmao@ hoogle! yea frank i def looked all through google and only saw this kit from moroso. i'm just not understanding how that kit would work. i would think the coolant would have to recirculate. also there is 2 hoses from the radiator to the reservoir, the kit only shows using 1, lol. hmmm so what would i do with the other opening for the hose. do i only need 1 hose and maybe cap off the other?

You're probably gonna have to custom fab something. Just find a sleek spot to hide the reservoir tank and relay a new coolant hose to it.

In my opinion, hiding it will look much cleaner than getting a polished piece. It seems like every 60 year old dude at every car show has that going on.

alex these links are exactly what i needed!! dude thanks a million. here is a pic from the link that is soooo what i'm hoping to accomplish this winter. with the body color painted valve covers (i know it's different heads and shit) and the black engine bay. with the whole coolant tank gone and a smaller nicer one relocated. i already relocated my battery to the trunk. i like this spot dude used.

38388870009_large.jpg

also in alex's link a dude used a 5L radiator that has a different coolant tank and looks perfect. might do that if i can find one somewhere around here. i like that dudes setup. kinda confusing what he was trying to say with the coolant having to be higher than the radiator.

For the lower hose I cut the small hose back, stuck a tight fitting bolt in it and put a hose clamp on it. You can just buy a staight flex hose and use it for a lower...

Heads up and ass kickin! Using Tapatalk 2

so i could just cap that hose off? not even use it?

^also a very good alternative!

@Tony, what he means when he says that the tank needs to be the highest in the system is this quote right?

"The main purpose of the tank is to provide some air space so when the coolant expands it can compress the air instead of running out on the ground. You want the overflow tank higher than the crossover (or even with it) so the air goes in the tank, not in your heads"

Your coolant system is a pressurized system and so when your coolant heats up from running through your motor, the coolant molecules expand. All liquids do this. When it heats up enough, the coolant pushes up on the radiator cap and then into the overflow tank. It needs to be higher than the highest part of the coolant system because air is less dense than water so when it is in a pressurized system, it'll compress from the expanding coolant and then when it cools down, it'll push the coolant back into your system.

Just re-read that and its pretty confusing but I follow hahah lemme know if you want me tobreak it down more!

@detroit...so basically i have to make sure where ever i mount a tank it has to be higher than the top of the radiator? lmao, i read that 5 times and yea...my brain is not working correctly right now or something. i actually considered mounting a smaller tank right at the bottom of the radiator. i was looking under it and there's a little room (not much) to mount that moroso small rounded tank.

hell idk, i think i'm understanding this a little more. with my battery gone, i think i can mount the round moroso tank right in that area. think that's what i'm gonna do. fellas i appreciate all the help :)

Edited by tony

http://www.lethalperformance.com/canton-96-04-mustang-aluminum-coolant-expansion-fill-tank.html

I know you said you wanted to relocate it, but this might also be a "dressier" option to look at. I have it and it works great, and I like how it looks.

i was gonna do that until i started seeing all these bays with no tank. my goal is to get rid of as much shit as possible, lol. however that tank < the stock one! prolly the ugliest part of a 4.6 is the dam coolant tank.

i was gonna do that until i started seeing all these bays with no tank. my goal is to get rid of as much shit as possible, lol. however that tank < the stock one! prolly the ugliest part of a 4.6 is the dam coolant tank.

Yeah the stock coolant tank is hideous. You should get one of those build plaques that goes in front of the radiator, that would really look good on your ride. I'd also really like to see if you can make a relocated reservior tank work, pretty rare to see.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-96-polished-stainless-radiator-cover.html

Like this might look good with the canton tank if you can't make a relocated tank work?

Yeah the stock coolant tank is hideous. You should get one of those build plaques that goes in front of the radiator, that would really look good on your ride. I'd also really like to see if you can make a relocated reservior tank work, pretty rare to see.

http://www.uprproducts.com/mustang-96-polished-stainless-radiator-cover.html

Like this might look good with the canton tank if you can't make a relocated tank work?

i have to find that somewhere. i was set to order that a few days ago but they dont have it. said they were out of stock :(

any idea where else i could get that cover?

i have to find that somewhere. i was set to order that a few days ago but they dont have it. said they were out of stock :(

EBay? Corral? Svt? Just start trolling websites :(

This one says its for 99-04, but I thought 94-04 were the same, it might work for you?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/radiator-cover-polished-9904gt.html

Most places I checked they are out of stock, but this site appears to have them.

http://www.calmuscleparts.com/store/POLISHED-STAINLESS-STEEL-SATIN-RADIATOR-COVERS-1996-1998-P21477C2413.aspx

I have a cxracing expansion tank. Best 85$ i spent.

Sent by smoke signals

$85? it says $119. still an awesome looking tank though. the site is cool to cause it really shows you all different angles of the tank. also in the car shots too. that tank is pretty slick.

the more i look at this the more i start to realize by having nothing there you def see the entire front of the motor. all the pulleys and timing cover & shit. another area i'd have to tackle, lolol. i have a feeling i'm about to get in over my fuckin head..hahahaha!!! oh well, that's what you guys are for right? RIGHT?? :confused2:

the more i look at this the more i start to realize by having nothing there you def see the entire front of the motor. all the pulleys and timing cover & shit. another area i'd have to tackle, lolol. i have a feeling i'm about to get in over my fuckin head..hahahaha!!! oh well, that's what you guys are for right? RIGHT?? :confused2:

and so the snowball begins lol

I am just thinking out loud here..

I don't know what your engine bay looks like tony but how about this; have a non fender well CAI (the ones with the filter inside of the engine bay) and then move the reservoir takn inside of the fender well where the CAI goes in to?

If that makes any sence.. ?

I will try to explain it in another way with pictures, maybe that will make better sence...?

Okay, so you see how this CAI goes into the fender well..

post-161-13881837148384_thumb.jpg

Then have a "Straight shot" or "Ram air" (or whatever they are called) intakes with the filter inside of the engine compartment, like this one..

post-161-13881837150566_thumb.jpg

Then mount the reservoir inside the fender well where the airfilter is supposed to go..

in here..

0309mm_04z+1998_Ford_Mustang_GT+Underhood_Inner_Fender_Well.jpg

By the way, I am talking about one of mounting one of those smaller aftermarket reservoir tanks inside of the fender well, and not the huge OEM one.

I dont think the OEM one will fit inside of the fender well..

why thank ya brian. i'm kinda scared to really start getting deep into this engine bay...i'm gonna end up like opal and be balls deep into a 3 year motor and engine bay build :( lolol. as soon as i seen the word snowball...aaaaaahhhhh! :scared:

why thank ya brian. i'm kinda scared to really start getting deep into this engine bay...i'm gonna end up like opal and be balls deep into a 3 year motor and engine bay build :( lolol. as soon as i seen the word snowball...aaaaaahhhhh! :scared:

Dont be scared its not that bad to due. My first time around the bay took about 2 months to complete. This time around about 100 or so hours. Far cry from 3 years. My present redo not only includes a bay rework but also new motor some exterior mods, new fuel system minitub and narrowed rear, rework of the interior and some other crap. All in all about a 14 month build if I meet my july deadline. May take some longer as Im pretty retarded when it comes to getting crap done, May owe that to my ocd lol. As for your car tony, its beautiful all around. The only thing missing is a clean and detailed bay to put it over the top. With that said a little motivation for ya.

DSCF0641_zps47de091c.jpg