82zephyr

Daily Driver? Nah Super Sleeper Build

so this past fall i picked up a 1982 mercury zephyr all orginal with a 2.3 c3 trans and a amazing 42000 miles. michigan car with not that much rust. my plans with it is to build a sleeper street and strip car. i plan on making this be a project my dad and i can work on and my son as well. we want to do a 5.0 swap, t5 trans, bigger rear gear, and full exhaust with cut outs. mild cam and heads and rims.

2012-10-09153812.jpg

2012-10-09153823.jpg

2012-10-09153837.jpg

my most favorite plate

2012-10-22_164129.jpg

added a radio in the factory location and custom mounted 2 6x9s and 2 5 1/2s in the rear deck

2012-11-11160719.jpg

2012-11-08210608.jpg

then covered my new decklid in fir

2012-11-11153836.jpg

leds around the gauges so i can see them

2012-10-23151740.jpg

2012-10-23152459.jpg

so as far as the 5.0 and t5 swap besides the motor and trans what would i need to do the swap. i have a ford racing double hump trans crossmember right now. but ive heared from a few people that i need a 5.0 k frame but other people have said its the same as the 4 cyl k frame. also does any body know where i can get frame tie for this car. the wheel base is 105.5in so its 5 inches longer then a fox stang

The guys on fast and loud, on discovery channel, bought a fairmont of the same vintage, it already had the 5.0 in it though. The one on Fast and Loud was a 2 door though and the door door has the same floor pan as the Mustang. I wouldn't mind doing a sleeper up out of a Fairmont or Zephyr. Good luck with the project

Matt

fast and loud did a 82. butthe 4 door has a longer wheel base. i bought the car the day or 2 after the show aired. i actually fell in love with the car well watching the eposide. and i found my zephyr on cl well i was watching it. lol

gas monkey garage just sold their fairmont on ebay for almost $17k a few days ago

It is going to be a sleeper ..It is not supposed to look good lol :D

I don't know if I would call it ugly, it is just an 80s car being 80s.

your LED gauge mod looks amazing by the way. :)

It is going to be a sleeper ..It is not supposed to look good lol :D

I don't know if I would call it ugly, it is just an 80s car being 80s.

your LED gauge mod looks amazing by the way. :)

the leds were my dads idea and i just installed it, but thanks i love them. im currently installing gauges under the factory radio and they too will have blue leds.

i was debating doing a custom gauge pod in the glove box. so it will open about 2in and have the gauges at a angle toward the driver

the leds were my dads idea and i just installed it, but thanks i love them. im currently installing gauges under the factory radio and they too will have blue leds.

i was debating doing a custom gauge pod in the glove box. so it will open about 2in and have the gauges at a angle toward the driver

Hmm for the sleeper look, yes absolutely. I just dont like the idea of having to divert your eyes that much from the road to monitor your gauges. Whats the rest of your gauges look like?

Hmm for the sleeper look, yes absolutely. I just dont like the idea of having to divert your eyes that much from the road to monitor your gauges. Whats the rest of your gauges look like?

Dash* not gauges

lol i was moreso asking for a picture, i've never seen the inside so idk what the dash looks like or anything, was gonna see if i could come up with an idea of where you could put gauges but still have them look stock.

ill take a pic when i work on it next. im at work 90% of the time and am hardly home wheni ts light out. so ill try and grab a pic. the zephyrs hve 2 main gauges like in my pic. but the mustangs have 6 gauge holes. so im thinking about getting a mustang dash insert and adding gauges in the fatory holes.

still havent installed the ford racing trans crossmember on it yet. just havent had time work and school have been kicking my butt. the way things are looking i dont think ill have it installed till spring. :( maybe i can win the lotto and u guys can watch me do a crazy build on this

havent really put much money in it yet. waiting for a nice day that i have off before my child is born so i can do the ford racing trans crossmember. if i didnt have the baby on the way with my taxes i would have built my motor. but oh well its going to take longer then i expected. but everything happens for a reason. at least now i get to have my daughter help me build it as she grows up. maybe one day let her drive it

did some work on the zephyr last night installed all my gauges

20130328_183004_zpsbd8ed3b0.jpg

20130328_183012_zps8e680a99.jpg

20130328_195648_zps3512f196.jpg

20130329_201942_zps85824761.jpg

20130329_201950_zps9955b23e.jpg

the green light is the switch for my cooling fan. turn red when the fan is off. still have to find a place to mount it. but i dn not want to drill another hole in the dash

Had to stick this on there

20130311_191911_zps1cf76762.jpg

so the plans on the sleeper have changed.

it will not be a 5.0 as i had first wanted

the new plan will go along better with the "sleeper" theme.

im going to do a turbo 2.3 with a t5 and a 8.8 rear disc

handle e brake

5 lug swap

dual exhaust

mild head porting

forged internals

ranger cam

ugrade clutch for around 350whp

and new suspension all the way around