Part Numbers:

LAC90 – Opal Gray Lacquer

DYE90 – Opal Gray Vinyl Dye

PTVP – Vinyl Prep

Tools needed:

-10mm socket and extensions

-Phillips Screwdriver

-Gray Scotchbrite Pad

-Dish Soap (Something with a degreaser, dawn, method, etc, etc)

-Bucket

-Brake Clean

8427895074_75632d1223_b.jpg

1. Fill up your bucket with warm water and a small amount of dish soap. This will be used to clean off your console and lid. The reason we use a dish soap is because of the degreasers that it has in it will release any cleaning products or oils that maybe on your console.

8426805895_76bd98d3ec_b.jpg

8426805519_1d22b20050_b.jpg

2. While the dish soap dissolves and mixes, at this point you can take the small amount of time required to disassemble your center console. To remove the lid from the console, pull out your console cup and remove the 3 Phillip head screws holding down the hinge. After the lid is removed, again use your Phillip screwdriver to remove the additional 6 screws that hold the underside of the lid on.

3. At this point you can either put on non-powder gloves, or make sure that your hands stay as clean as possible during the rest of the process. The natural oils in your skin can easily transfer onto the console and can prevent the dyes from wanting to adhere in a smooth and even coat.

4. Unfortunately I did not have a scotchbrite pad, but instead I found some medium steel wool in my house so I opted to use that instead. I started with the console lid, washing the lid of any grime that may be on it or oils from your skin. Once thoroughly washed, dry off with a clean microfiber or compressed air if accessible.

8427895312_25b283651a_b.jpg

5. We’re going to start by spraying down both sides of the lid with the vinyl prep. This is to help open up the pores of the vinyl to accept the dye.

8427895548_c125e25a6e_b.jpg

After about a minute or so of letting the product work its way into the lid, wipe it down again with a microfiber or spray with compressed air.

8427895714_c036c52f5b_b.jpg

6. We are now ready to paint. Starting with the bottom, you want to lay down 3-4 light coats of the dye, while waiting 3-5 minutes in between each coat. This allows the dye to tack some. Each coat was sprayed in a vertical pattern, followed by a horizontal pattern, over the entirety of the bottom of the lid. After your third or fourth coat, lay down a heavier “wet” coat and let dry for 30-40 minutes. (pictures show progress over the coats)

8427896042_a971ec9a94_b.jpg

8427896464_1f6630b087_b.jpg

8426807675_c76341042a_b.jpg

8426808085_cd44994929_b.jpg

8427897686_618f8746c2_b.jpg

8426808891_18750deab1_b.jpg

7. After you lay down the wet coat, you can start prepping the console. The simple way for me to do this was to pop out the coin holder. Then since the console cup is already out, to tape over the opening to it, as well as the small part of the console that isn’t covered by the console cup (personal preference)

8427898238_8000a9ed96_b.jpg

8426809345_8cbe0bf5ae_b.jpg

8. To remove the leather ebrake boot (if equipped) Use the 10mm socket and extension to remove the 6 nuts holding the boot in place. These should be hand tight so you may not even need a ratchet.

9. Now wash the console in the same fashion that we washed the console lid earlier.

8426809725_e815cedfe1_b.jpg

10. Dry off console with compressed air or a microfiber. Make sure that you get in all the nooks and crannies.

8427899168_f072e3fc06_b.jpg

11. Once dry from the wash, wipe down the console with some brake clean to ensure that it is cleaned of all grease, cleaners, and contaminants.

12. Now it’s time to lay down the first few coats of the lacquer paint. The console will be sprayed in the same fashion as the lid. 3-4 light coats with 3-5 minutes in between each coat. The next pictures highlight the progress after each coat.

8427899510_75c143b46c_b.jpg

8426810723_d33e2d6183_b.jpg

8426810951_3f0312b650_b.jpg

8426811233_f33be76f1f_b.jpg

8426812053_9fd3a7898b_b.jpg

8427901436_98096332a4_b.jpg

13. Once the light coats are complete, It’s time to lay down a wet coat. This will be similar again to the console lid, paint shall be a little thicker in your coats, and allow 30-40 minutes for it to dry.

14. Now we can go back to the console lid. Here’s the underside now that it has been dried for a good half hour or more

8427900960_4e1fdce6e0_b.jpg

Flip the lid over and repeat the process with the top of it. Feel free to use the vinyl prep again on the top if you believe it might have been contaminated while spraying the underside

8427901750_8c4704b116_b.jpg

After a coat:

8427902032_f3949b42b0_b.jpg

15. Once the console has dried for a half hour, I went back and focused attention back on that. As you can see, it still didn’t have very good coverage.

8426813111_7f0bd1541b_b.jpg

I put down another wet coat on both the console and the console lid since it was getting late and let them dry overnight:

8426813331_b77791282e_b.jpg

8427902730_b3b82c2d08_b.jpg

8427902930_3f945800a0_b.jpg

8427903142_3870deeb31_b.jpg

8427903420_ddd53e47da_b.jpg

I wasn’t completely happy with the color so I put another coat on both the console and lid to lighten them up more.

8427904192_ac4e5a8ff4_b.jpg

8425301618_4c428b4c15_b.jpg

16. Once dried, Install the components of your center console in the reverse of taking them apart. Install in your mustang and enjoy!

Thanks for the awesome write-up! I'm doing the same thing but in black. But the 04 cobra console takes a lot more modding than I realized for it fit properly in a '96.

^what?? no it doesnt? it pops right in. Only thing that might need to be swapped is the connectors but I dont even think those need to be changed.

hahaha have you set the center console in the car yet? The connectors have to be changed, but its super easy! Cut the harness out, swap the one in from your old console. When you mount the console in the car, there's a metal brace that you bolt the console down too. The plastic piece in the new console that mounts to the metal brace sits down in the console further than the old console so the end of the new console will sit about 2 significant inches off the floor. Not a good fit at all. The plastic piece in the console is plastic riveted (I guess) in and I've thought about cutting the whole thing out flush and just moving it down 2in. and like gluing it back in but I haven't decided what to do yet. Either way it's gonna be a pain in the ass.

I'll take some pictures for you on Monday to show how it fits.

oh lol w/e news to me. regardless, menial tasks for a totally worth it upgrade imo =]

It definitely is, but I think it's good to post it's not an exact fit. When I was looking to buy one everything I read said it was a direct fit, for someone who's not looking for all that extra work it would be a turn off. I can't wait to have the new center console though! I'm def gonna follow this for dying it, not gonna do the spraying though because I will duck it up lol.

Liz, contrary to popular belief, spraying it is SO much easier than you may think. Just do light coats and make sure you don't apply to wet and you won't have to worry about any runs!

And from what I just researched online, it seems as though the back of it will stick up about an inch, when I get to install time, i'll see what I can come up with. The reason being that it isn't an EXACT swap is because the rear of our floor plans were changed slightly to accept the new transmissions when the switched to the new edge designs.

Liz, contrary to popular belief, spraying it is SO much easier than you may think. Just do light coats and make sure you don't apply to wet and you won't have to worry about any runs!

And from what I just researched online, it seems as though the back of it will stick up about an inch, when I get to install time, i'll see what I can come up with. The reason being that it isn't an EXACT swap is because the rear of our floor plans were changed slightly to accept the new transmissions when the switched to the new edge designs.

haha I can't spray paint worth a dang! But I can def do all the prep work. It sits up more than an inch lol it's pretty noticeable haha.

very nice work on that console, hopefully Ill be doing this soon. i think i'm going to just deal with the rear sitting up a little bit unless there is any easy fix, i hope it's not going to be noticeable.

I wonder what BlwnByU has to comment on the install.

lol..

Make sure and give the armrest many coats.. It will be the one and only spot where the dye will want to where off, mainly because I think it doesn't stick as well to the soft vinyl compared to the plastic. Other than that, well done..

For those that are afraid, dying it is EXTREMELY easy to do.. far easier than spray painting anything... besides getting it clean enough, it's pretty much impossible to screw up

Blown_by_you, what about the sticking up issue in the rear?

It shouldn't stick up at all, it just has a different shaped cutout for the tunnel, so there will be around a 1" gap at the middle in the top, but the sides should still be the same..

I have extra carpet there, as well as everything being black, so mine is not noticeable

It shouldn't stick up at all, it just has a different shaped cutout for the tunnel, so there will be around a 1" gap at the middle in the top, but the sides should still be the same..

I have extra carpet there, as well as everything being black, so mine is not noticeable

Gotcha! That sounds much more tolerable haha i was thinking sides and shit were gonna stick up. No one sits in my backseat anyways, rear seat delete ftmfw

Update installed in car? :look: :caught:

Lol we'll see what today has in store for me. I wasnt planning on putting it in until after paint and roll cage but i may test fit it today

And yes, as you can see, the color is slightly darker. This only appeared when it was not in direct sunlight. If I ever decided to do it again, id put down a light primer coat first for the gray to bond to

And yes, as you can see, the color is slightly darker. This only appeared when it was not in direct sunlight. If I ever decided to do it again, id put down a light primer coat first for the gray to bond to

What seats are those and can I get them in Black!? lol

don't mean to dig up an old post but what did you do for the fog light switch? does it reach where the coin holder on this console is?

Its no problem! I personally did not use the fog light switch since I don't have fog lights. But if you were to use fog lights it might fit. If worse comes to worse it would be very easy to just extend the wires. @blown_by_u or @95riosnake can you answer this?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Its no problem! I personally did not use the fog light switch since I don't have fog lights. But if you were to use fog lights it might fit. If worse comes to worse it would be very easy to just extend the wires. @blown_by_u or @95riosnake can you answer this?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

I put in a 98 console, the fog switch is in the same place so nothing changed vs. stock. Your guess is as good as mine.

thats what i have in my 97 right now lol i thought the 98-00 console would be fine but i picked up this 01 console for $10! i couldn't say no and i had left over paint from the first project just need the cup holder insert. and the fog light switch extended haha