Jeremy95GT

95 mustang surging idle when cold

Okay s my car runs fine during the day and runs strong, but my question is. In the mornings it will surge really bad for a little bit then finally level out, if i go to drive it while its surging, it will run really rough... I have been trying to research this and i get alot of information but its all conflicting... The car has beendyno tuned, but they couldnt get cold start surge to go away.

Wtf could this be? I have read it could be the IAC? Could that fix the problem? Im just tired of dealing with it and would like to fix it

Try cleaning the IAC, when I did the fox TB conversion it wouldn't idle worth shit, then I cleaned out the used IAC with carb cleaner and a q-tip, let it dry, put it back on and it was much better.

Trick flow upper and lower, x303 aluminum heads, tfs #1 cam, 24 lbers, bigger TB, shorties, completley built bottom end... Just normal shit... When i did the motor swap its when it ovbiosuly started, and then i had it tuned and thats when they couldnt figure it out except for tell me it could possily be the IAC...i will try to clean it out and see what happens...

Trick flow upper and lower, x303 aluminum heads, tfs #1 cam, 24 lbers, bigger TB, shorties, completley built bottom end... Just normal shit... When i did the motor swap its when it ovbiosuly started, and then i had it tuned and thats when they couldnt figure it out except for tell me it could possily be the IAC...i will try to clean it out and see what happens...

Try the free stuff first lol cleaning iac and tps, check the voltage of the tps too

Jeremy. I would love to look at the tune in your car. Is it by any chance an SCT chip? If it is, and you could afford to be without the car for a week... Is love to dabble with the tune in the chip. I might see something that your tuned clearly overlooked.

Pm me if interested and we can talk details.

The people down here don't use sct they use delta force tuning... I'm honestly about fed up lol, where I live there aren't a lot of 94-95s its fox bodies if anything and I'm starting to think they don't have a lot of expierence with these cars... I've got several issues besides the surging idle when its cold...

-Hangs in between shifts at about 2k

-when cruising at low speeds it will almost feel like someone slammed on the brakes for half a sec then go away...almost the way a Jake brake works...

-then of course in the morning it surges...

I've tried looking for vacuum leaks, did a iac restrictor... I don't know what's left to do besides taking the tune outta the car (wasting $500+) and just waiting till I move back to NC and having someone else who knows these cars do it

Sent from my phone using tapatalk

I remember now that you said it wasn't SCT, that sucks. And it's very possible they just aren't very good with the 94-95. It's a bit more difficult to get to behave than the fox computers. This is not to say that the fox computers are better...the 94-95 computer is FAR more sophisticated as far as the parameters it controls. My tuner showed me the difference between fox and 94-95 on his dyno computer, the fox had a handful of parameters to tune, whereas the 94-95 had a massive list. This can actually result in a better tune if the person knows their stuff. If not, it just looks like a can of worms to them.

There is still a good chance that I can pull the tune off the chip. So its just up to you if you're interested in having me look at it.

I would love for u to look at it, only problem is this is currently my only vehicle, my wife just moved to north Carolina with my daughter and she has our other vehicle.. honestly I'm just not sure how the cat will behave without the tune in it...

I remember now that you said it wasn't SCT, that sucks. And it's very possible they just aren't very good with the 94-95. It's a bit more difficult to get to behave than the fox computers. This is not to say that the fox computers are better...the 94-95 computer is FAR more sophisticated as far as the parameters it controls. My tuner showed me the difference between fox and 94-95 on his dyno computer, the fox had a handful of parameters to tune, whereas the 94-95 had a massive list. This can actually result in a better tune if the person knows their stuff. If not, it just looks like a can of worms to them.

Yea Dan its frustrating, cause I didn't build this car to be a weekend warrior, I wanted a daily driver that I could enjoy and then have some power when I needed it... It's been far from enjoyable currently

Jeremy. I would love to look at the tune in your car. Is it by any chance an SCT chip? If it is, and you could afford to be without the car for a week... Is love to dabble with the tune in the chip. I might see something that your tuned clearly overlooked.

Pm me if interested and we can talk details.

Agreed...... my old 95 had similar issue.. well my 95 had a lot of issues.. when it all came down to it, the place who originally tuned it ended up frying the ecm and putting a bad tune on the chip to begin with. 95 / 94 are a half breed odb1 obd2 set up and if the person does not know exactly how to tune it, things can go wrong really quick... i was throwing random money at the car.. including buying a throttle position sensor, IAC, and other random sensors just to find out later it was the tune... Good Luck!

The people down here don't use sct they use delta force tuning... I'm honestly about fed up lol, where I live there aren't a lot of 94-95s its fox bodies if anything and I'm starting to think they don't have a lot of expierence with these cars... I've got several issues besides the surging idle when its cold...

-Hangs in between shifts at about 2k

-when cruising at low speeds it will almost feel like someone slammed on the brakes for half a sec then go away...almost the way a Jake brake works...

-then of course in the morning it surges...

I've tried looking for vacuum leaks, did a iac restrictor... I don't know what's left to do besides taking the tune outta the car (wasting $500+) and just waiting till I move back to NC and having someone else who knows these cars do it

If you cleaned the IAC and added the restrictor plate, that should have cured the hanging idle. Id look at a possible lower intake leak as being a possible problem. Have you looked at your plugs lately to see if shes running lean. If everything looks ok then I would suspect a bad tune.

Opal, I put a new iac on lol, the restrictor plate has seemed to almost cure the hanging idle, but now when I'm crusing it will sorta buck as if the engine wants to cut off for half a sec, then goes away lol, strange I know, but also I am still having a bad surging idle in the mornings, really no matter how cold or warm it is outside... When I check my plugs what exactly am I look for?

Jeremy