sethg702

3.73 are stock in sn95's?

I have to do a more acurate test with my speed cause my speedo is off but I figure im doing 70mph-80mph at around 2500rpm? does this sound right? I want to set up my car to hit up the twisty roads. On the other side of that, I live in vegas where im driving all highway. about a 15-20min commute to work. Im vortech supercharged under the hood as well. Let me know if you guys need more info...Im a noob.

If you wanna figure out what gear you have, you can put your car in neutral up on jackstands and count the rotations of the tire in relation to the drive shaft. Or if you wanna do it by rpm, they have gear calculators online that usually involves putting it in 4th gear bc its the closest to a 1:1 ratio. Then knowing your speed and your rpm

Yeah, 3.73's are not stock. Plus, telling us what RPM you're at for a certain speed doesn't really help. That changes according to what gears you originally had stock. That could be 2.73's, 3.08's, or 3.27's as said above. Going from a 3.08 to a 3.73 will give different results than 2.73 to 3.73. All we could give you is a guess between 3.55's and 4.10's... which is basically all aftermarket gears.

I have one with 3.27's and one with 2.73's.. Huge difference in performance! Especially since both are autos!!

Sent from my iPhone

haha oh yea, my 95 has 2.73's. great gas mileage! terrible performance

thanks for posts, I find out more as I go along. Ill get my speedo calibrated first. Found a reciept showing the last owner bought the 3.73 set. Deff not stock. I want to set up my car for road purposes compared to going down a track for quarter mile times.

Yeah, 3.73's are not stock. Plus, telling us what RPM you're at for a certain speed doesn't really help. That changes according to what gears you originally had stock. That could be 2.73's, 3.08's, or 3.27's as said above. Going from a 3.08 to a 3.73 will give different results than 2.73 to 3.73. All we could give you is a guess between 3.55's and 4.10's... which is basically all aftermarket gears.

3.55's arent aftermarket... they came in the 03/04 slowbras....

That RPM sounds high for 70-80mph. It should be about 500 rpms lower. The most common ratios for a Mustang are 2.73 and 3.08. Most dealers ordered Automatic cars with 2.73s, and manual cars with 3.08s. However, the dealer did have the option to order the car with any gear ratio they wanted. I have heard of rare cases of dealers ordering cars with 3.55s and 3.73s. If you ordered a car from the dealer back in the 90s, you could select the gear ratio you wanted.

Kurt

That RPM sounds high for 70-80mph. It should be about 500 rpms lower. The most common ratios for a Mustang are 2.73 and 3.08. Most dealers ordered Automatic cars with 2.73s, and manual cars with 3.08s. However, the dealer did have the option to order the car with any gear ratio they wanted. I have heard of rare cases of dealers ordering cars with 3.55s and 3.73s. If you ordered a car from the dealer back in the 90s, you could select the gear ratio you wanted.

Kurt

Most autos were 3.27 equiped atleast the foxs back in the day. Not much up on the autos especially 94 and ups. But I would say most common stock gear is a 2.73..3.08 were next in line.

I don't think I've ever seen an auto with 3.27s.

Kurt

Kurt if my old memory serves my correct back in the days ford used the 2.73 as the standard gearset, t5s had the 3.08 option and autos had the 3.27 option. Back way back before the aftermarket hit we would scavage for the aod equipped 3.27 cars and rape the rears from them. Wow I just thought about how much the game has changed since I was a kid in the mid 80s lol now were raping late model trucks for coyote swaps instead of aod foxs haha

Kurt if my old memory serves my correct back in the days ford used the 2.73 as the standard gearset, t5s had the 3.08 option and autos had the 3.27 option. Back way back before the aftermarket hit we would scavage for the aod equipped 3.27 cars and rape the rears from them. Wow I just thought about how much the game has changed since I was a kid in the mid 80s lol now were raping late model trucks for coyote swaps instead of aod foxs haha

Yeah, I have a suspicion regionality has something to do with it too. I remember having a discussion with my roomate in college about this. I grew up in Florida, and every 5.0 I had seen up to that point came with a 3.08 on the T5 cars, and a 2.73 on the AOD/E cars. Every 5.0 he had come across growing up in North Carolina had a 2.73 regardless of which transmission it came with. Also, as memory serves me, didn't the Mustang come with a 7.5" rear until 84'? You guys were trolling the junkyards for 7.5" rear ends? Times have really changed.

To the OP, Pushrod has a point. If your car has 3.73s in it, and you want 3.08s, you should have no trouble swapping your axle for someone with a stock 3.08 axle. Swapping gears costs between $400 and $600, and there are lots of people who would jump at the opportunity to get a rear with a 3.73 gear.

Kurt

Yeah, I have a suspicion regionality has something to do with it too. I remember having a discussion with my roomate in college about this. I grew up in Florida, and every 5.0 I had seen up to that point came with a 3.08 on the T5 cars, and a 2.73 on the AOD/E cars. Every 5.0 he had come across growing up in North Carolina had a 2.73 regardless of which transmission it came with. Also, as memory serves me, didn't the Mustang come with a 7.5" rear until 84'? You guys were trolling the junkyards for 7.5" rear ends? Times have really changed.

To the OP, Pushrod has a point. If your car has 3.73s in it, and you want 3.08s, you should have no trouble swapping your axle for someone with a stock 3.08 axle. Swapping gears costs between $400 and $600, and there are lots of people who would jump at the opportunity to get a rear with a 3.73 gear.

Kurt

Kurt the fox didnt get an 8.8 unti 86... And we werent grabbing 7.5 rears lol