mygreengt

What coil over spring rate?

300# rate is what I ran on mine as a dd. stiff enough for cornering, soft enough to not break your back

what rear suspension setup did you run with this? MM is telling me not to go over 250 with the H&R SS rear springs I have now which are stiffer than the Race springs.

what rear suspension setup did you run with this? MM is telling me not to go over 250 with the H&R SS rear springs I have now which are stiffer than the Race springs.

I was just about to edit my post and say that was fronts. the rears I'm just running roush rear springs with the roush valved bilsteins. car is perfectly dampened with this setup

That's basically a drag spring. You should spend a day or two emailing with the big name suspension companies like MM, Griggs, and teamZ just to pick up some technical knowledge from them. For a daily cruiser you'd want about a 12" spring at like 250-300 in the front and around the same in the rear.

I'm running a 400# 10" spring up front and a 275# 9" spring in the back. The reason it's shorter in the back is so that it flexes less and doesn't contact the shock body. I like this set up pretty well, but it is a bit much for the street honestly. It does handle very nicely on the track though. I'd probably go 350 for a autox/street machine if you don't mind it being a bit stiff.

I'm running a 400# 10" spring up front and a 275# 9" spring in the back. The reason it's shorter in the back is so that it flexes less and doesn't contact the shock body. I like this set up pretty well, but it is a bit much for the street honestly. It does handle very nicely on the track though. I'd probably go 350 for a autox/street machine if you don't mind it being a bit stiff.

That sounds good.

I'm emailing MM meow.

That sounds good.

I'm emailing MM meow.

DISCLAIMER: You don't get to blame me if you hate your life with 350# lol. My dad thinks my 400# springs are terribly uncomfortable.. but i'm used to it and I DD the dang thing lol. Definitely call up MM and talk to Jack or one of the other guys and see what they recommend. If you could get a ride in someone else's car that would be the best option.

That sounds good.

I'm emailing MM meow.

What did you ever come up with from those guys for the cobra? Ive been looking at 300# springs for my DD and light autox duty.

Sweet. Approval from the man. One thing with MM is that they won't necessarily tell you the same thing all the time. They initially recommended 325-350 for me, but after I convinced them I was used to a stiff ride they said I might like 400#, even for DD'ing. Not sure what to tell you though since you haven't tried any of them out. It's hard to decide without experience :(

Sweet. Approval from the man. One thing with MM is that they won't necessarily tell you the same thing all the time. They initially recommended 325-350 for me, but after I convinced them I was used to a stiff ride they said I might like 400#, even for DD'ing. Not sure what to tell you though since you haven't tried any of them out. It's hard to decide without experience :(

they'll tell everyone differently because of what the customer is looking for. this is why i have a whole rack of coilover spring rates to choose from. 300# up front and 175# out back is the street setup and 500# up front with 375# out back is my track setup. IRS will be different and have a higher rate in the rear.

they'll tell everyone differently because of what the customer is looking for. this is why i have a whole rack of coilover spring rates to choose from. 300# up front and 175# out back is the street setup and 500# up front with 375# out back is my track setup. IRS will be different and have a higher rate in the rear.

Yeah, it just means mygreengt needs to know what he actually wants lol. How are you running such different springs though, are you running an adjustable strut set up or what? I'd like to try softening up my ride a bit for DD'ing, but I didn't figure it would ride correctly with the MM2's that are valved for #400

Yeah, it just means mygreengt needs to know what he actually wants lol. How are you running such different springs though, are you running an adjustable strut set up or what? I'd like to try softening up my ride a bit for DD'ing, but I didn't figure it would ride correctly with the MM2's that are valved for #400

The Roush-Valved Bilstein's are set up for stiff springs. the 300#/175# rates are a little spongy for the car but it allows the car to be smooth. The 500#/375# rates are perfect for the roush bilsteins. Stiff and perfect for cornering but back breaking on the street haha.

The Roush-Valved Bilstein's are set up for stiff springs. the 300#/175# rates are a little spongy for the car but it allows the car to be smooth. The 500#/375# rates are perfect for the roush bilsteins. Stiff and perfect for cornering but back breaking on the street haha.

So running say... a #350 spring on a strut set up for #400 Bilstein would be no big deal on the street? The 400's are pretty smooth most of the time, but Arlington has lots of concrete roads with big seams in them every 20ft that drive me crazy.

So running say... a #350 spring on a strut set up for #400 Bilstein would be no big deal on the street? The 400's are pretty smooth most of the time, but Arlington has lots of concrete roads with big seams in them every 20ft that drive me crazy.

wouldn't be a big deal IMO. but keep in mind, different spring rates will cause your ride height to change and potentially your alignment as well.

wouldn't be a big deal IMO. but keep in mind, different spring rates will cause your ride height to change and potentially your alignment as well.

Meh, i'm not concerned. I can adjust it as needed. My alignment is pretty much a DIY thing anyways. Hmm. Thanks for the info.

Not to mention u need to take into consideration ur shocks u are running to match to ur spring rates.

Not to mention u need to take into consideration ur shocks u are running to match to ur spring rates.

of course, that goes without saying. over dampening a spring will cause you to never use the car's full travel. Under dampening a spring will cause you to blow your shocks/struts from hitting the bumpstops too often, etc.

Iroush,

R u running a torque arm on ur setup yet?

can't legally in the racing class I'm in. I'm designing a custom 3-link setup that is less weight and legal for my class.

Thought I'd add my experience. I had actually pm'd iRoush a long time ago on Sn95forum for his help as well, haha. I then called MM and went with what they recommended. 275# 12" front spring on stock saleen (bilstein) struts. I have three subs and an amp in the back so they recommended H&R super race springs to help with the additional weight. Otherwise, they'd recommend H&R super sports like they did for 1low2v. He has the same front/rear setup that I do.

It's a comfortable ride. However, my MM extreme duty rear LCA's make me feel the bumps in the road due to the solid bushings. Also, my car is pretty low and I bottom out sometimes... it'd be more comfortable if my car was higher but psht, why would I do that.

425's eh? I'm DD'ing 400's... it's not horrible lol.

too stiff for me, but when you've got just about every friggen suspension mod you don't need a higher rate. 300# rate up front before I switched to R-Comps and there was next to no roll up front. Now that I have R-Comps i had to go stiffer...

Depends on the rate, but i'm running a 10" up front and a 9" in the rear. Generally the softer the spring, the longer it needs to be.. you don't want the spring compressing to the point where the coils contact each other I believe.

Depends on the rate, but i'm running a 10" up front and a 9" in the rear. Generally the softer the spring, the longer it needs to be.. you don't want the spring compressing to the point where the coils contact each other I believe.

correct. I have 10" up front and 9" out back as well. If you run coilovers in the rear, I recommend the helper spring so that your rear spring doesn't unseat...