Jeremy95GT

Need some help

Mine does this too. Idk why :shrug: I was actually about to post a thread today because it gets to the point that itll be noticeable in my throttle body if intake my intake tube off

Pcv valve maybe? I know it's a common b head mod motor problem because it gums up the imrcs. People put a oil separator in to keep most of the oil out. That would be my guess.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

By "bottom of the upper intake" do you mean the outside of the upper intake? Maybe you have a bad O-ring on one (or more) of your injectors and it's leaking a bit and spraying fuel? The gasket would eventually soak up fuel if it was being sprayed on the side of the intake from an injector. Just a thought, other than that I'm puzzled.

I had a bad O-ring on one of my 42's, but it was VERY obvious. Once I cycled the key on and it kicked the fuel pump on, it started filling the lower intake area below the rail with fuel pretty fast.

If this is the same issue I'm having, you noticed it on the meeting area of the upper intake and lower intake plenum. I think mine is contributed due to my PVC valve.

I would assume thats oil not fuel. Most likely problem would be pcv system. Either routed incorrectly or just not a big enough valve. Try a turbo coupe valve or rethink your current set up.

I'm fairly sure my set up is garbage. But I don't know. We discussed this in depth but I think mine is still effed up.

PCV valve from the lower intake to the upper intake. Vacuum line from brake booster to upper, and vacuum from vacuum tree. Then a breather on the driver side valvecover to the air.

I'm fairly sure my set up is garbage. But I don't know. We discussed this in depth but I think mine is still effed up.

PCV valve from the lower intake to the upper intake. Vacuum line from brake booster to upper, and vacuum from vacuum tree. Then a breather on the driver side valvecover to the air.

Yup yours is definitely effed up

ideally without a catch can how should it be set up?

Your pcv system doesnt care if you have a catch can or not. You need to decide weather or not your going to run a closed system (ie..like stock) or an open system with breathers or catch can. Right now you have a mix of both, which is a no no. If your going to keep the pcv valve intact then you need to cap off that open breather and connect a vac hose from the oil fill tube back to the intake track. If you plan on using valve cover breathers or catch can set up, you must cap off the pcv valve and cap the port on your intake where you have it plugged in. You cannot run it both ways as it does nothing for evacing your covers. JFYI the way you have it now is nothing but a vacum leak which is not good.

Your pcv system doesnt care if you have a catch can or not. You need to decide weather or not your going to run a closed system (ie..like stock) or an open system with breathers or catch can. Right now you have a mix of both, which is a no no. If your going to keep the pcv valve intact then you need to cap off that open breather and connect a vac hose from the oil fill tube back to the intake track. If you plan on using valve cover breathers or catch can set up, you must cap off the pcv valve and cap the port on your intake where you have it plugged in. You cannot run it both ways as it does nothing for evacing your covers. JFYI the way you have it now is nothing but a vacum leak which is not good.

Makes sense. If I go with the open system, will breathers be necessary on both valve covers? Can they just open to the air or will they leak out oil everywhere?

That is some very very helpful info... I've been doing it all wrong apparently aswell lol

Jeremy

Not sure about either of your combos, but Im assuming your both running HCI set ups. Now if thats the case I wouldnt bother with the stock PCV valve, if you plan on going that route. Use a valve from a turbo coupe as they are a little bit bigger than the stock unit. This may help you as the stock unit is marginal at best for a stock stang. If you plan on offing the PCV all together and go with breathers put one in each cover and cap the pcv. You will have to deal with some oil mist on your covers but no big deal. Or just add a catch can to the breather set up. JFYI doing so will affect what kind of breather you need to buy. As long as your venting your crankcases with either of these setups your fine. Just dont run them the way you currently have them set up.

I just pulled the upper intake off so I could replace my leaking valve cover gaskets, I noticed that the gasket from the lower to the upper is soaked in fuel... And the bottom of the upper intake has some fuel aswell.... See below

Jeremy

werent you complaining about a hanging idle???

seems you found one issue... Get a new gasket, and buy some of this stuff.

post-64-13881837910055_thumb.jpg

spray both sides of the gasket, let them slightly dry to a tack... re-install and torque manifold. Then say goodbye to that vac leak forever!

Hey keith, if you can't find the write up can you sketch out how yours is ran?

If your keeping The PCV valve just run vac from the valve to the intake and run a vac line from the oil fill tube back to the air intake track. Very simple, but like I said a valve from a turbo coupe would be better than the stocker. You may also want to drop an oil seperator in to keep the oil from getting into your intake. Its really quite simple

If your keeping The PCV valve just run vac from the valve to the intake and run a vac line from the oil fill tube back to the air intake track. Very simple, but like I said a valve from a turbo coupe would be better than the stocker. You may also want to drop an oil seperator in to keep the oil from getting into your intake. Its really quite simple

No, the problem with the factory system is that your drivers side valve cover never really gets evacuated. This can cause condensation to build in that cover and lead to other issues that I'd rather not get into.

Now, to help eliminate this issue and stay relatively affordable, I did the following.

I use FRPP tall valve covers... like these.

post-64-1388183792421_thumb.jpg

The advantage to running these covers is that EACH cover has a hole for a filler cap. The disadvantage is that the passenger side cap is a bitch to fill with, because of where it is... and the drivers side cap will be stuck under the average upper intake manifold.

So what I did was to take a hose off my intake tube, and ran it to the passenger side cover and fitted a modified PCV valve into the hole in the cover. (modified by cutting the bottom off and removing the guts). I then used the same grommet setup on the drivers side cover and put a whole PCV valve there, then connected it to my manifold.

Here's a few pics.

post-64-1388183792457_thumb.jpg

post-64-13881837925481_thumb.jpg

And here is an unedited shot.

post-64-13881837926337_thumb.jpg

No, the problem with the factory system is that your drivers side valve cover never really gets evacuated. This can cause condensation to build in that cover and lead to other issues that I'd rather not get into.

Now, to help eliminate this issue and stay relatively affordable, I did the following.

I use FRPP tall valve covers... like these.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2085[/ATTACH]

The advantage to running these covers is that EACH cover has a hole for a filler cap. The disadvantage is that the passenger side cap is a bitch to fill with, because of where it is... and the drivers side cap will be stuck under the average upper intake manifold.

So what I did was to take a hose off my intake tube, and ran it to the passenger side cover and fitted a modified PCV valve into the hole in the cover. (modified by cutting the bottom off and removing the guts). I then used the same grommet setup on the drivers side cover and put a whole PCV valve there, then connected it to my manifold.

Here's a few pics.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2086[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2087[/ATTACH]

And here is an unedited shot.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2088[/ATTACH]

I like that nice and simple.

the beauty of my setup is that you get actual air exchange completely across the engine. from one cover, down into the lifter valley, and back up through the other cover.

An alternative to my setup would be to allow your metered fresh air source to enter both valve covers, and exit through the stock PCV location. I did not have this option because my intake doesn't have a PCV provision.