Brian

EGR Delete

When my car was in the shop recently my buddy said he was suprised the car still had the EGR system. What is the pros/cons to this system and should I look into deleting it?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge in this department.

With Virginia emission/inspection laws, you can probably delete it with no problems, but it'll probably just be a weight savings. Hopefully somebody smart will chime in. Haha

Sent from my secretary!!!

I deleted mine because it wouldn't fit with my intake. That being said, other than being ugly there is no performance gain to removing it. You also really should get a tune if you remove it, otherwise it will throw a code, and you could get some mid throttle pinging.

Kurt

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll look into removing the EGR for when I add the blower. Kill two birds with one stone regarding the tune.

Sounds like a good plan. I should also add that my car aces emissions every year with no EGR and no smog pump.

Kurt

Sounds like a good plan. I should also add that my car aces emissions every year with no EGR and no smog pump.

Kurt

I wonder if I can remove the smog pump as well. Something tells me no though ha.

I really want to clean up the engine bay as much as possible and of course go crazy when I pull the motor for paint / engine bay smoothing.

I just removed my smog, a/c and short belted mine today, also blocked off the iac.. I hate the hanging idle.. I now have a single code for egr not opening.. Soo I may just try to delete it and kill that one too.. Anyone have a problem with just adding a block off plate and not even running it lol..

Sent from my iPhone

Brian you can delete the smog no problem, the hardest part is plugging the holes in the rear of the heads. the EGR will throw a code if you unhook it though like revhead said. Both good systems to remove if you want to clean up the engine bay. EGR delete is only good for cosmetics, according to what I've read removing it could actually decrease MPG.

I made a vid for ya..

I hate the idle surge BS, and the hanging idle, especially If i want to rev at an import, I can't be at a light and wait 30 seconds for the rpms to drop so I can put it back in drive lol..

Sent from my iPhone

I just made a block off plate, I've had no issues as long as you keep the iac in place and plugged in.. It's kinda like my standalone system, the computer sees the functions, just thinks that its changing them..

Sent from my iPhone

I just removed my smog, a/c and short belted mine today, also blocked off the iac.. I hate the hanging idle.. I now have a single code for egr not opening.. Soo I may just try to delete it and kill that one too.. Anyone have a problem with just adding a block off plate and not even running it lol..

Sent from my iPhone

I made a vid for ya..

I hate the idle surge BS, and the hanging idle, especially If i want to rev at an import, I can't be at a light and wait 30 seconds for the rpms to drop so I can put it back in drive lol..

How do u delete the iac? Is that safe?

I just made a block off plate, I've had no issues as long as you keep the iac in place and plugged in.. It's kinda like my standalone system, the computer sees the functions, just thinks that its changing them..

I still don't get why you guys cant take a few minutes to just fix shit the right way. It's so much easier.

And Brian, Didn't we have a long drawn out thread about the EGR system a few months ago?

I still don't get why you guys cant take a few minutes to just fix shit the right way. It's so much easier.

And Brian, Didn't we have a long drawn out thread about the EGR system a few months ago?

There was nothing wrong to fix, I just don't like the sn95 hanging idle that plagues them, and I did an egr block off because I don't like my car eating its own shit..

Sent from my iPhone

It's not really a hanging idle, it's called a rolling idle. If the speed sensor indicates that the car is moving, the computer raises the idle in order to make gear selection easier while you are moving. You can program this feature out with a chip.

Kurt

I kinda like the feature, I think it makes the car a lot easier to drive smooth. I hate driving stick shifts where the RPM wants to drop fast between shifts, it's annoying.

I kinda like the feature, I think it makes the car a lot easier to drive smooth. I hate driving stick shifts where the RPM wants to drop fast between shifts, it's annoying.

See I'm the complete opposite, I think its annoying when it hangs lol... I just worry about blocking off the iac completely, I'm pretty sure its there for a reason lol

Jeremy

It's not really a hanging idle, it's called a rolling idle. If the speed sensor indicates that the car is moving, the computer raises the idle in order to make gear selection easier while you are moving. You can program this feature out with a chip.

Kurt

Learn something new everyday

yeah 2k is way too high, probably sounds like you're revving at people lol

I think the feature has trouble adjusting for any mods. Some cars you get lucky, and some it hangs way too high. Mine hangs around 1700rpms and then drops down as soon as the car has been stationary for a second or so.

Kurt