Twista

Exhaust Dump Question. (anyone do exhaust for work? )

Im trying to figure this out without getting under the car. I want to C-clamp some turn downs on my car. I can buy the clamps and turn downs @ advanced auto.

The only problem is there is a pipe stuck inside my muffler exit from welding on SLP tailpipes. I have 2.5 mufflers so im guessing the pipe inside would be 2.25 in most cases right?

PICS:

2a7biuf.jpg

162c9j.jpg

So something like this should work---> http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_2-25%22-I-D--Tailpipe-Turndown-Perfection-Exhaust_5600804-P_N3539_A|GRP2023A_____

Clamp Wise: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_2-1-4%22-Heavy-Duty-Muffler-Clamp-Perfection-Exhaust_5600510-P_N3535_A|GRP2023A_____

Is this correct. If im using 2.25 turn downs i need 2.25 clamps or would i need 2.5 clamps?

Thanks

Edited by s4rge

Run 2.5 " inside dia turndowns and 2.5" clamps and slip the turndowns over the muffler and leave the inside pipe alone. A turndown don't go inside the muffler like a tailpipe will.Thats how I ran all my dumped cars :)

Run 2.5 " inside dia turndowns and 2.5" clamps and slip the turndowns over the muffler and leave the inside pipe alone. A turndown don't go inside the muffler like a tailpipe will.Thats how I ran all my dumped cars :)

Thats what im thinking also, when i had my tailpipes cut off they left half of the tailpipe piping inside the muffler. If you look hard enough you can see two different size pipes.

Im going to buy the 2.5 turndowns and clamps and hope for the best

Crap 2.5 wont even fit on the exit. Maybe these muffler exits are larger than what i ordered hmm.

My buddy got these clamped on his flowmaster with no problem but it hits the axle on the sn95...

crap. Looks like a 2.5 would fit inside these. I might need a 3inch turn down to fit on the outter lip. I tried the dump on the flowmaster 2.5 tailpipe piping and it fits like a glove on there. So the muffler has a enlarged exit or something.

mv127c.jpg

Edited by s4rge

Grab a tape measure... Post the ID and OD dimensions. Also, sell me your headlights.

LOL the headlights are yours. Im going to order my new ones then throw the clear cobras in the box the smoked ones came in.

But the auto stores dont sell anything bigger than 2.5 so im screwed anyway. Just gonna take it to the exhaust shop and have some thrown on.

Alright it will work. Just have to find the size that fits snug on the pipe outside of the muffler. With the car on the ground it is no where near the axle. So now its time to find the right size. 2.25 might be perfect..

Back to the store.

^^ Rofl, well the turn downs gave it a 4.6L gurgle it didn't have before. But its just QUIET now. Guess im use to the muffler just exiting right @ front seats under the car. Now its exit right by the axle. GRRRRRRRR. Im still able to drive by cars slow and chirp alarms so maybe its louder outside now.

No worries... new mufflers will be coming sooner or later ha

Ehe i dont have rear interior either.

Maybe i need true dumps with a bigger angle to the ground to get the wall shaking effect.

Here are mine:

Dont mind the puddle. My car pukes coolants every so often once its parked. Changed the radiator cap back to my old one and that problem is gone for now.

2zp4kyg.jpg

j5kmys.jpg

I dont know. It seems the mac pro dumps have a more downwards angle to the ground

pd2693.jpg

Edited by s4rge

My old motor with tail pipes:

Same setup with turndowns:

Current setup:

Moral:

Want more sound?? You need more airflow in the HCI dept!!

/thread

Edited by WMMboss

You should point them at each other so when you do a sick nasty burnout, the exhaust shoots straight out the back like a jet!

ROR! I have bad catch packs. 1 wheel burn outs FTW?

And yep.. indeed i know i need H/C/I for a better sounding exhaust =] Still saving up for that crap.

White95. Did you buy the turn down from the autostore also? Or had a shop put some on?

I like the turndown video the best on your car

edit: Do you have the mac catback? I know i use to remove the tailpipes on my 1997 GT mac catback and could have dumps whenever i wanted them and tailpipes whenever i wanted them with 4 bolts.

Yes, its a Mac Prochamber and Mac catback in every video. I have them pointed straight at the ground. It was too burbly with the E7TE head/E303 cam combination which prompted me to put the tailpipes back on. Now, with the ProComp heads and TFS-3 cam, it's wails like a raped banshee!!!

Yes, its a Mac Prochamber and Mac catback in every video. I have them pointed straight at the ground. It was too burbly with the E7TE head/E303 cam combination which prompted me to put the tailpipes back on. Now, with the ProComp heads and TFS-3 cam, it's wails like a raped banshee!!!

Sounds really awesome. Are those 2 exhaust videos with the H/C/I or stock?

The muffler outlet looks like a 3" Now that im looking at it but is hard to tell in that pic.

We just did the same thing to a buddys car a few months back and just left it coming straight out of the muff it sounds the same IMO and its a good ways from the rear so nothing gets to hot.

ROFL! Just got pulled over for no front plate. She asked, "do you have a special exhaust on here. Its LOUD"

I told her no, ma nothing special.

This exhaust is quiet now to me is all i was thinking while waiting on her to come back.

Then she kept asking about the stuff in the back of my car. (no rear seat) I told her its for the convertible top.. im guessing she thought the lines was a hooked up NOS bottle or something lol!!!!

Nicest lady cop i met so far, but she was thirsty for my front plate.

So now i have 2 cities i need to stay away from.

For 10 years I swore I would never go back to tailpipes, but I guess I got old and sick of smelling exhaust, and now I have tailpipes again. I also got sick of ghetto hanging tailpipes on the car once a year to go through emissions. Here's what I learned from over a decade of running turn downs. The goal is to make them as short as possible. It would seam cheaper to buy the prefab ones from the autoparts store, but they honestly overcharge. Go to an exhaust shop, and have them do a simple 45 degree bend on a pipe, and then hack it off right even with the bottom of the pipe. The store bought turn downs hang low which has a tendancy to catch on things and rip them off. Then have the pipe sized to the exact ID to fit over the pipe on the muffler as close to the bend as possible. The parts store turn downs are too long and interfere witht he axle in most cases. You'll get a perfect turn down, and odds are it will cost less than the turn down you bought at the autoparts store. Don't waste time with clamps, they just don't hold on well enough. The streets of Volusia County are littered with turn downs from my learning experience. Tack weld the turndown on each side of the pipe. It will grind of quickly if you want to remove them later, while holding strong to the pipe.

Kurt

For 10 years I swore I would never go back to tailpipes, but I guess I got old and sick of smelling exhaust, and now I have tailpipes again. I also got sick of ghetto hanging tailpipes on the car once a year to go through emissions. Here's what I learned from over a decade of running turn downs. The goal is to make them as short as possible. It would seam cheaper to buy the prefab ones from the autoparts store, but they honestly overcharge. Go to an exhaust shop, and have them do a simple 45 degree bend on a pipe, and then hack it off right even with the bottom of the pipe. The store bought turn downs hang low which has a tendancy to catch on things and rip them off. Then have the pipe sized to the exact ID to fit over the pipe on the muffler as close to the bend as possible. The parts store turn downs are too long and interfere witht he axle in most cases. You'll get a perfect turn down, and odds are it will cost less than the turn down you bought at the autoparts store. Don't waste time with clamps, they just don't hold on well enough. The streets of Volusia County are littered with turn downs from my learning experience. Tack weld the turndown on each side of the pipe. It will grind of quickly if you want to remove them later, while holding strong to the pipe.

Kurt

Nice information :drunk:

Will def. keep all of this in mind.

Thanks!

Im going to keep these for awhile. The cost verus a shop doing it was better. $20 for all the parts and 5 minutes under the car beats $50 for the shop atm. Still saving for other goodies, so the exhaust has to wait.

I don't much care for the sound of Flowmasters, but that's a personal thing. The turndowns serve a dual purpose. They improve the sound by pointing the exhaust down at the ground where it reverberates better. They also point the exhaust flow away from the axle, so that it doesn't heat the axle.

Kurt