Blackmage

Brake gods, speak at me.

This is a really really big long shot in the dark with a slingshot trying to hit a fly. I have 4 calipers, any idea if these were ever used in any kits made by Brembo for the mustangs, basically im looking for a bracket for them possibly. I have em, might as well try using em. Don't tell me "waste of moeny.." blah blah blah, i have nothing into this, so asking is not hurting. They are Gen 3 viper calipers, used from 03-06.

73c1e5bf-3915-4711-ba8c-08a8c0842c0c_zps27ab1e3e.jpg?t=1381174234

the only oem brembo calipers for the mustang are the gt500's and vintage venom stopped making the brackets to adapt to sn95's.

Hmm, i wonder if brembo has specs out there somewhere on the exact dimensions of their calipers, wonder if they are the same, just by quick comparison on google images :P

- - - Updated - - -

hmm looks like the calipers i have are a C series, and the ones on the GT500's were B or H.

good luck, trying to get a hold of someone there is like pulling teeth.

haha oh goody! Brett, any idea what the brackets are made out of that they used? Was it some sort of aluminum or steel?

from what im reading, some heat treated aluminum 6061-t6 works great for caliper brackets. guess we'll see if vintage ever responds though..

Edited by Blackmage

haha oh goody! Brett, any idea what the brackets are made out of that they used? Was it some sort of aluminum or steel?

from what im reading, some heat treated aluminum 6061-t6 works great for caliper brackets. guess we'll see if vintage ever responds though..

steel is clearly the strongest and cheapest way BUT you must be careful of adding unsprung weight to the spindle, the car will perform worse if too much weight is added.

I'm not what they used for brackets but I'm sure a thicker aluminum bracket will work fine for what you want.

Edited by iRoush

This is a really really big long shot in the dark with a slingshot trying to hit a fly. I have 4 calipers, any idea if these were ever used in any kits made by Brembo for the mustangs, basically im looking for a bracket for them possibly. I have em, might as well try using em. Don't tell me "waste of moeny.." blah blah blah, i have nothing into this, so asking is not hurting. They are Gen 3 viper calipers, used from 03-06.

73c1e5bf-3915-4711-ba8c-08a8c0842c0c_zps27ab1e3e.jpg?t=1381174234

it looks like the vipe uses what is called a radial mount. they may be identical specs other wise. They do look identical to mine, except youll see that mine are lug mount.

these are factory on the 2000 cobra r, and are a bolt on mod as long as your wheels have room.

DSCN05021_zps17403514.jpg

the only oem brembo calipers for the mustang are the gt500's and vintage venom stopped making the brackets to adapt to sn95's.

2000Rs wouldnt be considered OEM? Also, the focus rs used these calipers except they were silver instead of black.

with all this said, the second set (with the scrape on the front), i was planning on rebuilding them. If you want, ill trade you for 2? I was told they have zero miles, the guy stuck them on his car, his wheels scraped, he gave up and sold them. I did split one, and take the crossover tube off, but havent taken the pistons out at all.

it looks like the vipe uses what is called a radial mount. they may be identical specs other wise. They do look identical to mine, except youll see that mine are lug mount.

these are factory on the 2000 cobra r, and are a bolt on mod as long as your wheels have room.

2000Rs wouldnt be considered OEM? Also, the focus rs used these calipers except they were silver instead of black.

with all this said, the second set (with the scrape on the front), i was planning on rebuilding them. If you want, ill trade you for 2? I was told they have zero miles, the guy stuck them on his car, his wheels scraped, he gave up and sold them. I did split one, and take the crossover tube off, but havent taken the pistons out at all.

almost forgot about those! gah if those fit on the rear axle I would have a major braking bonar

almost forgot about those! gah if those fit on the rear axle I would have a major braking bonar

do you want one? because I was planning on making brackets for it ;)..havent figured out the rotor etc yet, but it was on the winter list

and I honestly had to question myself when you said that because youre always on the money. I went back and checked myself lol

Edited by 1997cobra

nice thing about radial mount is that once you get the caliper spaced correctly left to right, if you want to go with a bigger rotor diameter all you need it longer studs. provided that all other things are the same with the rotor

gah thought i was in edit fml

Edited by 1997cobra

do you want one? because I was planning on making brackets for it ;)..havent figured out the rotor etc yet, but it was on the winter list

and I honestly had to question myself when you said that because youre always on the money. I went back and checked myself lol

I would but I'm planning on putting my setup together by the very latest next month. I just need something that actually challenges my tires under braking, my car has to much grip to hit ABS lol

my bad man I completely spaced on the 00R setup

I would but I'm planning on putting my setup together by the very latest next month. I just need something that actually challenges my tires under braking, my car has to much grip to hit ABS lol

my bad man I completely spaced on the 00R setup

No problem. What are your plans?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

No problem. What are your plans?

well I'm getting a set of four Alcon calipers from a NASCAR super speedway car from my sponsor. the fronts bolt right up, the rears not so much. my cost is $1500 to get a custom set of rotors built for it once I get the measurements needed.

Very nice! What is involved in custom rotors? 2 piece?

yes they are two piece. the rotor hat is the same as the wilwoods, the only difference is the rotor thickness which is much wider, but allows them only have to run 13" rotors.

Just for reference, the NASCAR Rotors are a 35mm thickness. versus the Cobra fronts being 25mm.

yes they are two piece. the rotor hat is the same as the wilwoods, the only difference is the rotor thickness which is much wider, but allows them only have to run 13" rotors.

Just for reference, the NASCAR Rotors are a 35mm thickness. versus the Cobra fronts being 25mm.

Seems like a lot of rotational weight

On going project, 94 cobra, r block, tfsr225, hp efi, vortech ys

Instagram [MENTION=584]Rolocut[/MENTION]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of rotational weight

If you're running a generic, cheap rotor yes. like I said $1500 for the rotors alone. the rotors are 20.2lbs each, versus the standard 19lbs for generic 13" cobra rotors. not bad if you ask me, I'll be gaining SOME unsprung weight in the rear since the oem rear rotors are so small, but not enough to really hinder the car.

If you're running a generic, cheap rotor yes. like I said $1500 for the rotors alone. the rotors are 20.2lbs each, versus the standard 19lbs for generic 13" cobra rotors. not bad if you ask me, I'll be gaining SOME unsprung weight in the rear since the oem rear rotors are so small, but not enough to really hinder the car.

Not to be rude but it's been proven time and time again there is no larger more powerful rear brake set up that will slow car down faster, so 2 piece bear rear rotors with ebc red or yellow stuff pads will be a touch lighter (1.2lbs) and a willwood 6 piston 14 inch front brake set up is 4.2lbs lighter then stock cobras (caliper+rotor) and will have the most breaking force possible to slow down the car. I'm a for cool ass shit but seems counter productive and slightly expensive. Def will be unique, and I like unique.

Not to be rude but it's been proven time and time again there is no larger more powerful rear brake set up that will slow car down faster, so 2 piece bear rear rotors with ebc red or yellow stuff pads will be a touch lighter (1.2lbs) and a willwood 6 piston 14 inch front brake set up is 4.2lbs lighter then stock cobras (caliper+rotor) and will have the most breaking force possible to slow down the car. I'm a for cool ass shit but seems counter productive and slightly expensive. Def will be unique, and I like unique.

maybe so, but the biggest reason why I'm going for it is for a matching set mainly. Having a beefy caliper/rotor up front and then not even being able to see the rear rotors makes it look retarded. Not to mention, that having a bigger brake setup will be nice for what I'm doing, not necessarily for better stopping power, but, to keep rotors from cracking, wearing out the pads faster, etc. I cook my brakes autocrossing more than you can imagine because the car gets to a high speed quick and then I'm right back on the brakes and generally right after the run i come to a stop so the brakes just sit there and cook unlike road racing where they get to cool down from long straights. It's an investment in reliability IMO, it can't hurt my car, and the setup is pretty light for how beefy it is.

maybe so, but the biggest reason why I'm going for it is for a matching set mainly. Having a beefy caliper/rotor up front and then not even being able to see the rear rotors makes it look retarded. Not to mention, that having a bigger brake setup will be nice for what I'm doing, not necessarily for better stopping power, but, to keep rotors from cracking, wearing out the pads faster, etc. I cook my brakes autocrossing more than you can imagine because the car gets to a high speed quick and then I'm right back on the brakes and generally right after the run i come to a stop so the brakes just sit there and cook unlike road racing where they get to cool down from long straights. It's an investment in reliability IMO, it can't hurt my car, and the setup is pretty light for how beefy it is.

ever think of doing brake ducts with a fan?

ever think of doing brake ducts with a fan?

I'm planning on the brake ducts eventually, but, for an autocross car you really shouldn't HAVE to have brake ducts... the mustang brakes are just inadequate at dissipating heat.

you'll have a pm in a minute..

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry to semi side track this thread, but what brackets were you going to need? Front or Rear? What size rotor. I will be starting my designs next week.

is this directed towards me or brett?

you'll have a pm in a minute..

- - - Updated - - -

is this directed towards me or brett?

It was directed towards iRoush, was on the end of a 12 hour day, sorry. But if you need brackets for GT500 Front calipers I might be able to help. Or if you have a drawing with measurements.

Sorry to semi side track this thread, but what brackets were you going to need? Front or Rear? What size rotor. I will be starting my designs next week.

rear but i found a bracket that will work from alcon. thanks though!

So I have some interesting information from jack Hidley about brakes in the rear. basically brakes that are opposed piston (4-pot or 6-pot) should not be on an 8.8 SRA.

Brett,

You don't want to use an opposed piston caliper on a stock 8.8" solid axle. The 8.8" solid axle has side to side axle float. This pushes the pads back into the caliper during cornering. When you go to press on the brakes, the pedal will drop significantly. To use opposed piston calipers on an axle, it must be the nonfloating type (IRS, 9" or floater). All of these types positively retain the axles side to side position and have much better bending stiffness.

I would just use Cobra brakes in the rear.

Edited by iRoush

custom bracket that floats? :D or IRS?

the axles are the issue since they move it pushes the pads back in. my only option is a single piston rear or IRS and considering how much I've spent on my SRA that's not happening.

the axles are the issue since they move it pushes the pads back in. my only option is a single piston rear or IRS and considering how much I've spent on my SRA that's not happening.

I figured you wouldnt go IRS after seeing what you'd done with your SRA :)

So I have some interesting information from jack Hidley about brakes in the rear. basically brakes that are opposed piston (4-pot or 6-pot) should not be on an 8.8 SRA.

wouldnt a simple c clip eliminator resolve the problem?