Blackmage

Brake gods, speak at me.

wouldnt a simple c clip eliminator resolve the problem?

I asked that very same question of mr Hidley:

c-clip eliminators are made from aluminum and house a bearing in them that is outside of the axle tube. The aluminum block that houses the bearing is bolted to the brake flange on the end of the axle. The bearing is smaller than the stock Ford bearing, so it has less ability to deal with cornering loads. The aluminum housing is much less stiff than the end of the housing tube. When cornering loads are applied, the aluminum housing flexes so much that it separates from the brake flange. This causes them to leak fluid.

We've looked into this extensively, there isn't room to package a larger bearing with a housing that is stiff enough to be an improvement. In particular, the aluminum housing and bearing occupy the same space as the ABS exciter ring on an SN95 axle. This makes ABS an impossibility.

All this talk about brakes is ramping up my brake timetable!

my fronts are supposedly arriving today. I'm probably going to just run the Baer 13" disc upgrade in the rear with a proportioning valve to balance the massive fronts to the smaller rears.

So basically, unless you're IRS or have a 9" rear axle big brakes with opposed pistons are useless and the only option we have is the single piston calipers.

You can also swap 9" style ends onto the 8.8.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

just a quick note, no call back and no email back from Vintage Venom :D

lmao called it.

that's a pretty big pain just for some brakes but yes it's doable haha.

that's a pretty big pain just for some brakes but yes it's doable haha.

It's also positive axle retention should the axle break and no worries about leaking under hard cornering.

Buuuuttt. ...... I don't race and have an IRS so what do I know?

It's also positive axle retention should the axle break and no worries about leaking under hard cornering.

Im gonna bite on this one and say nothing? :stirthepot: lol

I'm not disagreeing with you at all Bob, it's a lot of work regardless but worth the work especially If you have the tools and ability to do it. unless I had Jason do it or pull the axle out and take it to a shop I wouldn't be able to do it.

you know more than I do, that's why I went to jack Hidley for more info, because I didn't have the answer.

• Moderators
or feel free to send it to me lol

It's currently in my 66 GT. I'm thinking of taking it out and putting the 8in back in though. I'm sure I'll put it in another project and shipping across country might be a bit of a bitch.

just a quick note, no call back and no email back from Vintage Venom :D

I was on the edge of pulling the trigger on a set of 2007 GT500 Brembos with Baer Eradispeed 2 piece 14" rotors front and rear (came with relocation kit and GT500 rear calipers out back) on eBay (for $900 buy it now...a STEAL), but my better judgement told me to check and make sure I could still get the Vintage Venom kit... It took 2 weeks to hear back from them but finally a reply landed in my inbox:

Hi Dan.

We are getting pulled in several directions and are assessing what to do about the GT500 conversion kits. Unfortunately, none of the scenarios will lead to a conversion kit any time soon. Customers have been migrating to our F14 conversion package in the meantime which we do stock. We have been discounting the conversion by $300 for customers that already have the GT500 rotors if that helps.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Rob Eaton

Venom Technologies LLC

(248) 341-3374

The eBay auction came and went... glad I waited for the reply though or I'd be on my own trying to get them mounted properly. Ryan [MENTION=146]Prokiller[/MENTION] said he would let me borrow a bracket to fab my own, which is no problem but the rotor spacers would be a bit harder to source... This was about two weeks or so ago btw.

Edited by 95riosnake

I was on the edge of pulling the trigger on a set of 2007 GT500 Brembos with Baer Eradispeed 2 piece rotors front and rear 14" on eBay (for $900 buy it now), but my better judgement told me to check and make sure I could still get the Vintage Venom kit... It took 2 weeks to hear back from them but finally a reply landed in my inbox:

that was literally the EXACT same email I got lol. auto response ftl lol

It's currently in my 66 GT. I'm thinking of taking it out and putting the 8in back in though. I'm sure I'll put it in another project and shipping across country might be a bit of a bitch.

lol I was just kidding, when the current 8.8 I have decides to shit itself I'll probably build another rear.

• Moderators
lol I was just kidding, when the current 8.8 I have decides to shit itself I'll probably build another rear.

Oh, I know. If I didn't think I would use it one day on another car (don't tell my wife), I'd totally figure out a way to get it to you. I only paid $150 for it out of a '69 Mach I.

Im gonna bite on this one and say nothing? :stirthepot: lol

I know just enough to get me in trouble. Or wonder halfway into a project why I'm not paying someone to do the work for me.

I'm not disagreeing with you at all Bob, it's a lot of work regardless but worth the work especially If you have the tools and ability to do it. unless I had Jason do it or pull the axle out and take it to a shop I wouldn't be able to do it.

you know more than I do, that's why I went to jack Hidley for more info, because I didn't have the answer.

I was being a bit of a smart ass. I was looking at it from the racing stand point. I'd rather have the 9" style ends then C clips. For a 99% street car it is a lot of work and probably not needed.

That's why I'm still running the stock brakes. With decent pads they stop me well enough not to get killed on the street.

:brett: to everything in this thread lmao

Egg salad. At first I was like, woohoo 14 inch rotors and 4 piston calipers. Then I started adding up race rotors/pads, 18 rims and tires and the time to fabricate the SN95 to Brembo front caliper adapter. I just came to the conclusion my next three and a half paychecks aren't mine.

Couldn't you just fab some brackets for a set of the PBR calipers on the back axle? I mean it's not like you need 16" 8 piston calipers back there anyways and they'd allow you to run a 12-13" rotor.

Couldn't you just fab some brackets for a set of the PBR calipers on the back axle? I mean it's not like you need 16" 8 piston calipers back there anyways and they'd allow you to run a 12-13" rotor.

you could and it's something I've thought about since I'm pulling the pbrs off the front...

this was the first thing that came to mind. its a common swap that only requires new axlels, housing ends and someone that has a good jig to keep everything centered on the tube. i have a friend that has done multiple 9 inch end 8.8s with great success. sucks you are in CA though. would be a trip to get you into his shop here in PA. Thats the route I would go with though!

@Blackmage I'll be digging my god speeds out tonight. Time has not been on my side lately

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4

DUDE! CMON!!!! haha no worries man. Just curious, do you have a set of gt500 calipers? Im thinking of measuring the bolt hole locations and random other things to see if they are the same or not

keep in mind gents, you need to keep the brake bias appropriate. 6-pistons up front and a single out back is asking for trouble. upgrading to 9" ends or IRS are a mist for the bigger brakes out back.

this was the first thing that came to mind. its a common swap that only requires new axlels, housing ends and someone that has a good jig to keep everything centered on the tube. i have a friend that has done multiple 9 inch end 8.8s with great success. sucks you are in CA though. would be a trip to get you into his shop here in PA. Thats the route I would go with though!

I was just bringing up the idea. I have an IRS so my axle ends are good. :D