Sleeperstang1994

Welding Know-How

Me and @Sleeperstang1994 have this --> http://www.eastwood.com/tig-welders-eastwood-tig-ac-dc-welder.html <-- on order so I'm looking for TIG welding tips. Also, I'm curious what rods to buy (Say we want to do both steel and aluminum). Is the same gas used for TIG and MIG?

I've only laid two lines with a TIG a few years back in college. They came out nice, but welding together two new pieces of 2x4 metal is pretty easy. I can't wait to try it out again. :D

Get your hands on some 2% thoriated (red) and pure (green) tungstens.  If I can remember correctly I used the pure for aluminum and 2% for steel/stainless.  Your filler wire for stainless is going to be dictated by what type of base metal you're welding (i.e. if you're welding 316 stainless you'll want 316 filler).   You should be ok with 4043 filler for your aluminum, I don't think you'll ever be in a situation where you'll need 5356.  As for gas coverage, you should of been using 75/25 for MIG welding steel.  You're going to want to use Argon for TIG welding stainless and 50/50 or Argon for welding Aluminum. 

Tips would be just trying to keep all three factors in sync (right hand, left hand and your foot).  Make sure when welding aluminum that it's CLEAN!!!!    Practice makes perfect!

I just started myself last summer.  I bought a miller 211 mig in june but didn't power it up till sept and been enjoying it since.  I also got a spoolgun so I could do aluminum and a 2nd tank.  done a little bit and its different but the same.  Any reason you want the tig?

I just started myself last summer.  I bought a miller 211 mig in june but didn't power it up till sept and been enjoying it since.  I also got a spoolgun so I could do aluminum and a 2nd tank.  done a little bit and its different but the same.  Any reason you want the tig?

My buddy already has a MIG and we've always wanted to try and TIG.

Sorry I'm so late here. They were listed as arc electrodes. Any idea where I can get the filler rods at a local store? Don't really want to have to order them online

Praxair

2551 Paxton Street, Harrisburg, PA 17111

http://www.praxairmidatlantic.com/gts-welco.aspx?pcid=326&ptid=5

It probably sounds real stupid but I've been watching a ton of YouTube videos. I feel like I have a good base since I can MIG fairly well! It almost seems like it's like arc welding just that the tip doesn't melt? Also! What's the deal with the different cups and colored tips?! I understand using different fillers. Do the cups allow more or less gas into the weld?

The cup size, tungsten size and filler rod size is all depending on how thick your base metal is, thicker the material the bigger your tungsten will be therefore all other torch components will be bigger.  Mostly you won't have to worry too much about it because the majority of automotive welding deals with thinner metals.  The different color tungsten represents which type of tungsten it is, IE 2% thoriated, pure tungsten and so on.  Your base metal will determine this also, IE if you're welding stainless you'll most likely use a 2% tungsten, aluminum probably a pure tungsten. 

We basically used two types of cups and collet bodies.  You're really going to have to determine which style you like best.  The gas lens throws out a more consistent gas stream

Reg collet body

Shieldingflownogaslens-1.jpg

Gas Lens

Shieldingflowgaslens.jpg

Collet body left, gas lens collet body right

tig-collet-body-gas-lens.jpg

Here you can see the cups for the different collet body types.

TIG-KIT-TIG-Welding-Torch-Consumables-Ac

Depending one what you're welding and where you're welding can determine this.  IE if you're welding in tight spaces sometimes a gas lens and cup can be bulky and cumbersome. 

Ok so first things first. It does look like you're getting a lot of gas flow. Can you hear gas flow out of the torch when your welding? You'll kindof notice it "blowing" at the arc. Second do yourself a favor and get one of these flow meters for TIG welding: http://weldingstore.tokentools.com.au/welding-safety-equipment/welding-regulators-argon-shielding-gas-regulators/argon-regulators-bubble-flow-meter-regulators/argon-regulator-bubble-flow-meter-gas-regulator-ar101a.html#/product/229

I can't tell if there is a coating on there but it looks like your too hot, hence why it's showing throw on the other side.

Try having someone (as your welding) turn the gas slowly down as you weld a bead. Your gas flow should be pretty minimum. The flow meter I posted the link to should help you fine tune the gas flow for your welding conditions.

Sent from Space