ttocs

got a vortech v3 Si trim what else do I need?

as the title says after a lot of consideration and looking around I finally found a deal on a vortech system that arrived today. 

1623565_586073808140770_1685022846_n.jpg

Might just stick the license plate frame on the prius just for giggles!

Anyway now that its here I am happy to say its pretty much exactly what I was hoping for.  It came with an Anderson power pipe that is uses but the kit itself is still completely new with only the head unit having been out of its box.  The only disappointment so far(I think) is that I thought the vortech kits came with an msd 6al ignition but this kit doesn't have one.  Do I need one of these?  If so is there an alternative as I have heard mixed reactions about msd quality over the past few years and if there is something different/better/more expensive I am open to options.

I was also recommended 42lb injectors but told that 60 would be about the same cost?  I am not going to be going crazy later and will probably be happy with this set up for a long time so huge power later in the future really isn't something I am worried about.  I am using a lightning maf so if one of these injector sizes would make tuning easier, Idunno what do you think.

I have a catch can I will be using...

Any other stuff I am forgetting?

No doubt when pricing is like the same . Especially with a hci car and adding a blower 42's will be almost maxed out on duty cycle . I suggested going 60's In the other thread as well

<br /><br />Thanks for that...

Lol.. Wasn't trying to cockblock.

42's are an old 4 hole design and are not even manufactured anymore..   

You'll have better idle characteristics with 60# Deca's than you will with FRPP 42's.

Also, Vortech's don't come with an ignition.. Get a tune and don't worry about the ignition unless you happen to have problems.. A better coil would be good and is plug and play. Get the plugs gapped down to around .032".  Run one step colder. autolite 3923 or NGK R5671A

• Supporting Member

Lol.. Wasn't trying to cockblock.

42's are an old 4 hole design and are not even manufactured anymore..   

You'll have better idle characteristics with 60# Deca's than you will with FRPP 42's.

Also, Vortech's don't come with an ignition.. Get a tune and don't worry about the ignition unless you happen to have problems.. A better coil would be good and is plug and play. Get the plugs gapped down to around .032".  Run one step colder. autolite 3923 or NGK R5671A

Wait no one manufactures 42's anymore? This is news to me!

Wait no one manufactures 42's anymore? This is news to me!

Everything I've read lately says FRPP no longer makes them, but that doesn't mean there aren't thousands of new sets out there on shelves..

Why run a 4 hole when you can have a finer spray with a 6 or 8.  

• Supporting Member

Everything I've read lately says FRPP no longer makes them, but that doesn't mean there aren't thousands of new sets out there on shelves..

Why run a 4 hole when you can have a finer spray with a 6 or 8.  

Of course I always think running the better product or more superior product is a good idea. That said, I only ran FRPP injectors once and when I stepped up to 42's I ran Delco's that were flow matched. Never even came close to running out of fuel with the lil ole s trim @ 13 lbs. 

• Supporting Member

Also op I suggest finding which chip your tuner wants you to use and getting yourself some gauges. Up to you but most suggest A/F, Fuel pressure and boost

already have a chip and been to the tuner once for the HCI swap so that isn't an issue.  Will need to talk to him about getting some kind of tune so I can start it and get it to him as he is 45 mins away but had good luck with him last time.  As for the gauges I have plx designes multi gauge displays (3) and can add as many sensor modules as I need to too them.  Was going to do boost for sure and will probably do intake temp just for fun they already show AFR, oil/coolant temp, fuel/oil pressure, and vac.

Would it be ok to put bot of the senders/sensors for that on the  block off plate for the EGR or should I just drill/tap on the intake or the pipe from the charger to the intake?

one of the things i regret was not going with 60# right away.  as far as ignition components, its more common to not bother with an ignition box.  doing a coil and some good wires is usually enough.  i rock autolite 3924s and haven't had any problems with them.