AustunXXI

Overheating issue

I cant figure this out... When driving on the highway my car is trying to overheat, when I stop it cools down. I've got a 96 v6 and the oil is good, no moisture, its firing on all 6, good compression, I can see water flow with the cap off, no water leaks, and doing the heater trick barely works...

The car doesn't have a clutch fan, just a single electric fan. Not sure if that's right or not. Could the thermostat not be closing completely or do I just need to flush it?

can't think of a whitty signature...

not to really jump the gun. does your coolant level seem to be droping? Im honestly going to say head gaskets. More likely to over heat while highway driving with increased engine load and RPM. Not to mention that the 3.8L is notoriously bad on heads/gaskets. I would recommend doing a Block test. if the block test passes you can rule that out and move on to other things.

Well I flushed it and it was running fine, drove to fort worth(5 minutes) and it started to get hot, then it started to smoke. While I was trying to turn into a parking lot it started making some crazy sounds and was trying to die. I parked it popped the hood and there was smoke coming from underneath the intake manifold, I went to loosen the radiator cap to relieve pressure and nothing happened. When I opened it, the radiator was bone dry. No water or smoke from the exhaust. Nothing was wet in the engine bay and there was no water in the oil.

Unfortunately I'm going to go with either head gasket or lower intake manifold. After you fill it back up, do a pressure test in the coolant system. If it drops pressure. You're leaking somewhere

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Well I flushed it and it was running fine, drove to fort worth(5 minutes) and it started to get hot, then it started to smoke. While I was trying to turn into a parking lot it started making some crazy sounds and was trying to die. I parked it popped the hood and there was smoke coming from underneath the intake manifold, I went to loosen the radiator cap to relieve pressure and nothing happened. When I opened it, the radiator was bone dry. No water or smoke from the exhaust. Nothing was wet in the engine bay and there was no water in the oil.

I missed where you said this was a V6.

You're due for head gaskets.

Sent from my CyanMobileX Evo 4G

my first thought was the air diverter under the bumper but upon further reading, i would also concur with a head gasket problem.

I'm with the general consensus here for the HG issue.  Unfortunately this is a well known issue with the 3.8's.  The RIGHT way to fix the issue is to have the heads AND block decked (made flat) and then replace the head gaskets.  Its a known manufacturing defect.  

another option would be to get some aftermarket heads and have the block decked.  Either way - to do it right so that it doesn't happen again it means pulling the motor and some machine shop work.  

Well the shop I bought the car "fixed" it... I drove it on the highway, same problem. I get home to drop off the "boss" to goto the same shop when I walk across the front of the car just as the cooling fan kicks on breathing fire onto my legs from the grill. Not literal fire, just hot. The wires were backwards on the electric fan. Been ragging the shit out of it for two days with max ac on full blast trying to get it hot and haven't yet, so I think I got it. Screw that shitty ass shop lol

Well the shop I bought the car "fixed" it... I drove it on the highway, same problem. I get home to drop off the "boss" to goto the same shop when I walk across the front of the car just as the cooling fan kicks on breathing fire onto my legs from the grill. Not literal fire, just hot. The wires were backwards on the electric fan. Been ragging the shit out of it for two days with max ac on full blast trying to get it hot and haven't yet, so I think I got it. Screw that shitty ass shop lol

now THAT would do it!!! 

What a bunch if dildos. Glad it was a simple fix!!

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

for the record, the visual of this comment made me LOL.  good thing I finished my coffee earlier or my monitor would be wearing it.