scottydsntknow

For those with the DEPO projectors and HIDs...

What wattage are you running in the projectors?  I recently deleted the 10k HIDs the PO had in my car and went with crystalvision bulbs but I already miss being able to see as well as I did even with the blue lights.  Plus, while they are white they are not the ultra white I prefer.  I still have the 35w ballasts for the headlights and fogs so all it would take to re-install them would be some new bulbs and then the projector housings which is on my "want list" anyway.  However with the small projector bowls on the DEPOs is it a better idea to run 55w and if so, is 55w too hot for the enclosures?  Or are 35w enough?  

Sorry if this has been beat to death, I'm trying to do all my own research but all I seem to be getting is how shitty the Raxiom enclosures are and ppl arguing over if the 55w is actually brighter and how ricey whatever color the poster prefers is etc...  I know a few ppl on here like blwnbyu have the DEPOs with HIDs.

Also, how hard are these things to wire?  From the diagrams I'm seeing and threads it appears you use one headlight plug for the signals only, power the thing from the main fuse box and use a 9006 bulb/HID for the main light and a 9005 light for the hi-beam?  

Thanks

Those are in DEPO housings or what?  Like I said I've got 35w ballasts and 4 new bulbs for them would be $30 from DDM.  I'm just wondering if I should step up to 55w.  I know ppl have run them in the DEPOs but I have no idea about longevity or how hot they actually get in there.  

Lol well the only thing now is finding a set of smoked envoy lights I like.  I've got the Cobra fogs converted to Envoys and they look way better but its like $80 for just a set of smoked ones... might look into VHT for them or something.  

edit:  Or I could just go with the DEPO chrome housings to match my current fogs but I kind of like the black ones better.  

Yeah they are.  I'll think about what I'm going to do and just roll with it.  Car currently looks like this

98stang004.jpg

Still a little on the fence if I want to change the lights up there.  I could always put a bi-xenon kit in it and call it a day.  I'm bad at picking out cosmetics lol.  Currently the car has some Philips Crystalvision incandescents in it and they light up pretty good honestly.  Its more about cosmetics with the HIDs.  

I think I'm going to go with the chrome DEPOs whenever I get around to doing the HIDs again.  Need to get the trans swap done and the new rims/tires on before I go messing around with something that is not broken.  Tires are not technically broken but I need something that'll do better in the wet than the 555Rs on there now will...

i had some cheapo projectors and 55w HIDs, they seemed to be fine.  The extra brightness was fine also, in a non projector though, the 55w was too much for oncoming traffic, but holy shit did it like up the world :D

Well today I ordered the XenonDepot Volt kit which is usually a $130 kit and one of the highest reviewed/best customer service/not from a sweat shop in China kits out there.  Was going to wait but the big sale that site is having ends today and I'm getting them for $85 after the sale price and a forum discount code I was able to dig off another site.  Was going to just put Kensun bulbs in my no-name ballasts but I want the headlights to be high quality and know for sure I've got ballasts putting out a true 35w which I'm hearing many of the cheap kits don't and the Kensuns would have been $35 for each set of bulbs so I wasn't going to be saving much.  With that said my ballasts did always light off on the first try and never took longer than 15-20 seconds to fully warm up.  

My fogs are still going to be a little extra but I am going to run incandescent Nokya Hyper Yellows in there.  I am not going for a rice "JDM" look here, yellow light is far and away the best for actually seeing in fog/rain and I do drive through a lot of backroads if I work swings and it gets very foggy in the summer.  They are only $20 for the bulbs on Amazon so that's no big deal for those.  Or... I may kick around throwing still throwing some Kensun 3000k HIDs in my no-name ballasts but not sure I want to deal with warm up times if I hit a patch of fog.  

Going in chrome Depo projectors that I also have on order.  

Got the lights in, the HID bulbs in, the Philips 9011 HIR bulb bases trimmed to fit in the 9005 spots and they are in too.  Just have to mount the ballasts and finish running that goddamn harness.  This would be so much easier if the battery relocation kit I have was actually in the car and not sitting in a box on a shelf lol.  I'm just glad I anticipated the high beam bulbs not being accessible once the housings were in and plugged in the wires beforehand.  Not sure why the chinamen can't include wire COLORING on the diagram but at least the plugs are idiot proof so you can't really plug the lo-beam into the hi-beam spot and vice versa so I guess it doesn't matter...  

0406140139_zpsmneyrjmt.jpg

0406140139a_zpsr6oxa8fu.jpg

No idea when I'll get the rest of it finished, my kid's birthday is tomorrow and I've got shit to do after work every day this week pretty much...  I guess I'm waiting till next weekend to finish :(

Also, for those who have the DEPOs and want to get an effing yoga balls bright bulb in the hi-beams like I'm doing, here is how you modify them.

HIRmod_zps38750adf.jpg

And here is where you can get genuine ones and where I got mine.  And for ppl on here wondering about the DEPOs without HIDs the DEPO lo-beam is a 9006 bulb so as you can see you can put a 9012 HIR in the 9006 spot although wiring a HID in is literally 10 minutes with the DEPO harness.  And to those wondering if they are worth it... 

Here is a Silverstar/hyperwhite/whatever gimmick 9005 bulb:

hir02.jpg

Here is a regular 9005 bulb:

hir03.jpg

Here is a 9011 HIR bulb:

hir04.jpg

I can thank HIDplanet and Candlepower for schooling me up on all this stuff and making me realize just how much $$$ I've been wasting on the more expensive/dimmer/shorter life span Silverstars which I will never EVER buy again.  

0412142350_zpsunyhvfvx.jpg

Well being meticulous and anal retentive made just the wiring and mounting the ballasts over a 2 hour job... yay me...  Driver's ballast is on the fender right next to the battery and the pass side one is hidden in front of the air filter, both held down with big 3M pads that came with them.  

I will say that this kit has got to be double as bright as the 35 chinese kit I yanked out, it isn't even close.  They fire right up and ballasts are fully warmed up pretty quick.  The 9011s in the hi-beams are also ridiculously bright.  Besides the few times I drove the car with the 9007 Philips bulbs installed after I ripped the old crap HIDs out, this is the first time since I got the car in May 2012 that it has had functional hi-beams.  Tomorrow should be a fun time aiming them, thank effing god I have the lisle tool for that.  

This guy.

Just need to put the nose of the car on a flat surfrace, make some tape marks and line the beams up.  The tool makes it very easy to go up/down/left/right with the SN95 and fox lights too if you have a fox.  

I popped the garage door last night too just to see how they looked outside and reaction was  :o  :blink:  :wub:

I know you already have them mounted, but if you want to get more anal about mounting them, you can put them in the fender like I did.  When i removed my motor i pulled the fenders and made a bracket to mount them on the backside of the fender, in front of the washer fluid.  theyre just a PIA if you have a ballast go out.. lol

IMG_1166.jpg

The ballasts came with fitted 3M pads.  One ballast is mounted between the battery and inner fender, you can't even see it and there is clearance.  The other one was tricky but I pulled my air intake tube and found I had just enough space right in front of the filter to mount it flat.  Wiring is all zip tied and neatly tucked in front of the battery and the wire running to the passenger side is zip tied along a stock loom.  I tried to make it look as clean as possible.  I did not do what the PO of my car did and zip tie in the ballasts of whatever kit he had in there by the wires so they were halfway chaffed through when I removed them.  

I still have to properly adjust the beams but I've already had it fired up and these things are glorious.  4300k is a perfect white light without a hint of blue and even un-aimed I can see proper cutoff lines.  Once I get these things dialed in I'll be a happy camper.  

Un-aimed... need to put the top of the left beam at 22" (my projector housings sit 24" off the ground), center it and then match the right.  Is very easy with the lisle tool, I HIGHLY recommend it to everyone.  Makes aiming SN95 lights as easy as New Edge lights.  This pic is just at like 10-15 ft and is obviously not how they'll look when done.  

0413142021_zpssvf2zr9l.jpg

HIR Hi-Beams.

0413142020c_zpsj9idhrm9.jpg