KillNThrill24

Replacing Quarter Panels

Oh yeah! I forgot about Kyle's car having that damage and I saw that pic a few days ago

Bryan it's bubbling up right at the wheel well area. I can get pix if it would help. They aren't bad YET but I know they will be soon

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

GOOD LAWD 'Turd you did that one dirty!

IIRC his friend put the car into a ditch, I remember it being on FB a while back and didn't realize it was an old photo. I about shit my pants thinking he wrecked it after all the work he's done lol.

Yea my best friends gf did it with me rolling shot gun it was legit ... I've got pics of the swap too I replaced it right into the door jamb and trunk jamb

bunch of useless weight anyway!

have you rubbed where your old flares use to be with those wide ass tires? lol

or would it hit the new flares first?

have you rubbed where your old flares use to be with those wide ass tires? lol

or would it hit the new flares first?

it's would hit the metal I cut if anything. That being said it won't hit unless I have no suspension in the car at all lol. those cuts are so high up you'd have to really try to get the tire to hit, and with as stuff as my car is, it doesn't come anywhere near it.

if you wanted to replace the entire quarter panel, you need to cut yours out and have the new one welded back in.  typically that comes from a car in the junkyard that they cut the quarter out of and ship it to you.  

someone ran into my quarter - the price tag the insurance company put on that was about 22-2300 because of the labor involved.  

If it is only the wheel wells that are rusting, you are better off just repairing that area. That is a little overkill to replace the whole thing, add in body work, paint etc. We did not replace the whole quarter on my car either, we sectioned half of it in.

Good call guys and thanks for the updates. I'm not sure what I plan on doing yet... I've got various other things on the to do list lol but I'm hoping by winter to be able to fix it. I'm a certified mig welder so that will help. Only thing I'd need is a tig!! Haha

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

You could MIG a patch in the quarter. I have done it along with countless others, and it is generally the preferred method. Probably the biggest downside to welding sheet metal with a MIG is that the weld is pretty hard and brittle so it is a bit more tricky to metal finish it and smooth out the inevitable warpage you will get. Something like a patch above the wheel well will be nearly impossible to smooth out and metal finish due to no access from the back side because of the wheel houses.

If you were to replace the whole quarter at the factory locations you will be drilling out spot welds and (unless you have a nice, expensive spot welder to put the new panel on) you will be plug welding it back on where the factory spot welds were. You will definitely want to MIG in this situation. The upside is you won't have any panel warpage to deal with like you would just putting in a patch.

I've done it both ways and I'd prefer to replace the whole panel at the factory attachment points.

It really depends on the size of the rust damage though. If it's literally just a few bubbles or pinholes replacing the whole panel might be overkill. Often times rust over the wheel wells starts from the inside though and what you see from the outside can just be the tip of the iceberg.